Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Frank Mir Not the Only One to Talk Death in UFC

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Jride

Standup Guy

Jride Avatar

Career:864-583
Chips:
Frank Mir may have crossed the line when he said he'd like Brock Lesnar "to be the first person that dies due to Octagon-related injuries." But in fairness to Mir, it should be pointed out that he's far from the only person associated with the UFC who has talked about fighting to the death. In fact, before they fought at UFC 100, Lesnar said of Mir, "I'm gonna murder him. I count the days and nights before I get to do that."

That's far from the only example.

Prior to UFC 94 last year, B.J. Penn addressed Georges St. Pierre in a video shot and distributed by the UFC by saying, "Georges, I'm going to go to the death. I'm going to try to kill you and I'm not joking about this."

Just days before Mir made his comments about Lesnar, UFC President Dana White said, "You know what would happen to Herschel Walker over here? It would be the first death in MMA."

The same week that Mir made his comments about Lesnar, another UFC heavyweight, Cain Velasquez, said of his UFC 110 fight with Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, "He is going to have to kill me, and I will have to kill him to beat him out there, and that's what we'll do to each other."

Chuck Liddell told Ariel Helwani of his upcoming fight with Tito Ortiz, "I'm gonna try to kill him."

After earning a shot at Penn last year, Kenny Florian looked at Penn and said, "I consider you a master, and it's time to kill that master."

Mir is usually a model of sportsmanship and a fighter who embodies the best aspects of the martial arts mentality. If he went too far in explaining his motivation for a third fight with Lesnar, he was far from the first person affiliated with the UFC to do so.

Link

Post #1   2/23/10 7:38:51PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Career:472-317
Camp: Journalistas
Chips:

Posted by Jride
Mir is usually a model of sportsmanship and a fighter who embodies the best aspects of the martial arts mentality.

Are f***ing kidding me? Mir is usually the opposite of sportsmanship, and he does not even come close to being a fighter who embodies the best aspects of the martial arts mentality.

Mir is disrespectful. He talks trash constantly. Mir makes personal attacks against his opponents. He downplays the skills of every fighter he faces, and even goes out of his way to trash talk guys that he's not fighting.

What a joke.

Post #2   2/23/10 8:10:06PM   

ko-kbo130

MMA Regular

ko-kbo130 Avatar

Career:208-140
Chips:
there is also a huge difference in the intentions between what other people have said about death and what Mir said. Mir's comments are full of hatred, he even stated so in that interview that he wants to kill Lesnar and hates who he is as a person and this and that. those other comments dealing with death don't have the same malicious intent that Mir made his comments with

Post #3   2/23/10 8:15:35PM   

jgtribbett

MMA Sensei

jgtribbett Avatar

Career:553-358
Camp: Team BloodLoss
Chips:
all i have to say is its hype... and "wa"

Post #4   2/23/10 8:49:41PM   

Jride

Standup Guy

Jride Avatar

Career:864-583
Chips:

Posted by ko-kbo130

there is also a huge difference in the intentions between what other people have said about death and what Mir said. Mir's comments are full of hatred, he even stated so in that interview that he wants to kill Lesnar and hates who he is as a person and this and that. those other comments dealing with death don't have the same malicious intent that Mir made his comments with

I can understand but BJ says the same ****.. I personally dont take Mir seriously, its not professional and whatnot, but its whatever.

Here

Post #5   2/23/10 10:02:18PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,543-899
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Its prefight hype and its part of his public character. Give it a rest people

Post #6   2/23/10 10:06:30PM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
Its all about context. Even though Brock and Cain said the words it was implied as a farce. Frank went above and beyond all of their "talk". I have never really liked Frank....he is super self-absorbed. He is better than everyone and he KNOWS IT!!!!!!! WAR CARWIN KO!!!!

Post #7   2/23/10 10:45:02PM   

bigox420

MMA Regular

bigox420 Avatar

Career:1,065-795
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Its prefight hype and its part of his public character. Give it a rest people

But isn't Mir fighting Carwin and if by any chance he does not win he will not be fighting Lesnar anytime soon. So for it to be pre fight hype you would have to have the fight signed.

Post #8   2/23/10 11:40:07PM   

SaskQUATCH

Going to UFC 111 next Baby!

SaskQUATCH Avatar

Career:803-496
Camp: BUSH League Brawlers
Chips:
I remember when BJ Penn said the same about GSP before their rematch @ UFC 94.

Post #9   2/24/10 2:48:43AM   

Naturaldisaster

MMA Sensei

Naturaldisaster Avatar

Career:703-452
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:

Posted by RyanC

Posted by Jride
Mir is usually a model of sportsmanship and a fighter who embodies the best aspects of the martial arts mentality.

Are f***ing kidding me? Mir is usually the opposite of sportsmanship, and he does not even come close to being a fighter who embodies the best aspects of the martial arts mentality.

Mir is disrespectful. He talks trash constantly. Mir makes personal attacks against his opponents. He downplays the skills of every fighter he faces, and even goes out of his way to trash talk guys that he's not fighting.

What a joke.

Wow. Frank Mir is one of the best fighters in the world, and he and brock lesnar hate each other. Im sure at one point in your life youve wished that someone you hated would die, everyone has thought that at some point. I dont see the point in everyone gettin all pissed off about it. I think its funny. I cant stand lesnar, and ive said the same thing that mir said said about him before. personally i think frank mir is awesome and everything he says cracks me up

Last edited 2/24/10 9:23AM server time by naturaldisaster
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #10   2/24/10 9:22:23AM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
I am the biggest Mir fan, but since Lesnar had a life threatening illness recently, maybe those comments could have waited until Mir wins vs Carwin.

too soon imo.

Post #11   2/24/10 9:28:58AM   

Hideous

Learning to Sprawl

Career:229-178
Chips:

Posted by BustedKnuckle

Even though Brock and Cain said the words it was implied as a farce. Frank went above and beyond all of their "talk". KO!!!!

I guess it is also in the eye of the beholder - since I was not there when Brock ,Mir or Cain said it ,either do I know them on a personal level,and therefor I can not convincingly atttribute their " fighting words" as either farcistic or said harmful intent.

I think however it is absolutely ludicrous to pass judgement only on Mir when there has been so many instances of this in the past.

I guess if we had a situation where a college student wrote a farcical paper claiming one country had WMDs it could deploy in 45 minutes we would not believe it and accept it is a farce. But if a leader of a country quoted the very same paper then I would definately believe it and know it not to be a farce.

Unfortunately with this Lesner,Cain and Mir situation here we do not have anything so clear cut.

Post #12   2/24/10 11:22:02AM   

finnish_line

In Full Mount

finnish_line Avatar

Career:517-331
Camp: Great Boxe
Chips:

The difference is BJ will get on the mic right after the bout and tell the world that he was lying to promote the fight.

Post #13   2/24/10 4:21:38PM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,466-874
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:

Posted by finnish_line

The difference is BJ will get on the mic right after the bout and tell the world that he was lying to promote the fight.

Also, BJ wasn't quite so specific about his murderous desires IMO......

Post #14   2/24/10 4:47:56PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,543-899
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Naturaldisaster

Posted by RyanC

Posted by Jride

What a joke.

Wow. Frank Mir is one of the best fighters in the world, and he and brock lesnar hate each other. Im sure at one point in your life youve wished that someone you hated would die, everyone has thought that at some point. I dont see the point in everyone gettin all pissed off about it. I think its funny. I cant stand lesnar, and ive said the same thing that mir said said about him before. personally i think frank mir is awesome and everything he says cracks me up

I agree. People need to chill out

Post #15   2/24/10 5:13:37PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2