Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Frank Mir issues apology after Brock Lesnar death comments

Print  
Posted By Message

Jride

Standup Guy

Jride Avatar

Career:864-583
Chips:

Frank Mir today issued an apology following an interview in which he said he wanted rival and UFC heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar to be "the first person that dies due to octagon-related injuries."

The comments, which were made over the weekend to WXDX-FM, caused quick condemnation from an industry still trying to win mainstream acceptance.

In today's UFC.com release, UFC president Dana White stated he is "disappointed" by Mir's comments and that "he won't be saying anything like that again."

Mir, a longtime UFC fighter and former champ, was Lesnar's first opponent after the former WWE star signed with the UFC. Lesnar battered his opponent at the February 2008 fight before Mir secured a submission for the come-from-behind win. The trash-talk was plentiful prior to their July 2009 rematch, and it continued even after Lesnar scored a lopsided TKO win.

Although Mir has never bitten his tongue when it comes to Lesnar, many understandably thought he crossed a line when wishing death upon the current title-holder.

"I would like to apologize to Brock Lesnar, his family, the UFC and UFC fans for the stupid remarks," Mir stated. "I respect Brock, all the other fighters, and the sport of mixed martial arts. I'm sorry that I stepped out of line."

White assured it won't happen again.

"Frank's been with the UFC a long time, he's a two-time heavyweight champion and a commentator for the WEC," White stated. "I think his emotions are running high right now, he has a big fight coming up next month, and he's still upset about his loss to Lesnar. He's been talked to, he regrets what he said, and he won't be saying anything like that again."

Mir next fights at UFC 111 on March 27, when he meets Shane Carwin for an interim heavyweight title. Lesnar, sidelined since the second Mir fight due to a severe case of diverticulitis, is likely to face the winner in a title-unification bout. As MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) recently reported, the fight is likely to take place at UFC 116 on July 3.

Link

Post #1   2/23/10 7:23:37PM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
All that after a rant about not want to be PC!!!! Cmon.... man up, stand behind your words. Maybe he should have applolgiozed to the UFC for his remarks, and the death threat to Brock? But to recant it all and say you have respect for him, just because your told to do so!!! Frank is really losing me as a fan. The comments were bad enough but now this!?!?

Post #2   2/23/10 10:26:11PM   

Jride

Standup Guy

Jride Avatar

Career:864-583
Chips:

Posted by BustedKnuckle

All that after a rant about not want to be PC!!!! Cmon.... man up, stand behind your words. Maybe he should have applolgiozed to the UFC for his remarks, and the death threat to Brock? But to recant it all and say you have respect for him, just because your told to do so!!! Frank is really losing me as a fan. The comments were bad enough but now this!?!?

Once Dana found about it, he commented online and said sorry.. Then about an hour later, all over the net, it says Frank apologized.

I guarantee Dana called him up pissed.

Post #3   2/23/10 11:02:06PM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,492-882
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
I would've been cool if Mir had said "Yeah, I took it a little too far...My comments were just angry and I wasn't thinking. I am sorry I said what I did about Lesnar, but I still don't like the guy."
To me that would've seemed more sincere...as it is now, I don't think MIr's apology counts for anything.

Post #4   2/24/10 12:11:35PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,327-1,229
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by State_Champ

I would've been cool if Mir had said "Yeah, I took it a little too far...My comments were just angry and I wasn't thinking. I am sorry I said what I did about Lesnar, but I still don't like the guy."
To me that would've seemed more sincere...as it is now, I don't think MIr's apology counts for anything.

Agreed.

Post #5   2/24/10 12:13:06PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by State_Champ

Agreed.

it counts for more press

Post #6   2/24/10 12:43:56PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,566-910
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I think everybody needs to lay off of Frank Mir a little. At first he was just exaggerating his feelings about some one. As stated in another article many fighter say that they are going to 'kill their opponent.' I'm sure most of us have said at one time that we wanted to kill someone without any real sincerity behind it.

Now he comes out and apologizes and people still give him crap about it? Come on. He's damned if he does damned if he doesn't.

I think Frank Mir is a great fighter, a very intelligent commentator, and I admire his frankness in most regards. He says what he thinks but IMO does so with out being overly cocky or offensive. Props to Mir and anti-props to all you haters out there.

Post #7   2/24/10 8:54:49PM