Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

THQ VP: There’s Nothing In EA Sports MMA To Entice You To Buy It

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

Jride

Standup Guy

Jride Avatar

Career:864-583
Chips:

EA, which is a very well known company and who makes big sports games, they couldn’t get our license. They were not fans of the UFC, they were not fans of mixed-martial arts–and they decided to change their business plan and became a “me-too” company and create a “me too” fighter. They couldn’t get what they really wanted, so they tried to create a game that would compete with us. We have a lot of respect for them, but there’s nothing in that game that would entice me or anyone I know that’s an MMA fan to buy it. If you want stars, the best organization, the best graphics, you’re going to stick with what you bought last year because this year’s game is even better. And the fact that we didn’t cheat or cut corners in 2010, I think our fans are going to be very happy.

—THQ Executive VP Don Gold, in an interview with Gamespot, claiming EA Sports MMA can’t compete with UFC Undisputed 2010

Source

Last edited 2/22/10 7:28PM server time by Jride
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   2/22/10 7:27:37PM   

Jride

Standup Guy

Jride Avatar

Career:864-583
Chips:
Did THQ forget that Fedor is in the game?

Im spending $60 on the game for that reason alone.

Post #2   2/22/10 7:29:10PM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
I agree with what we've seen so far, game just seems flat and uninspired with too many uncanny valley moments.

Post #3   2/22/10 7:56:50PM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
Except for all of the talent involved!!!!!??? THQ is just a puppet under the UFC banner now and will say anything its told. Thats the only aspect of the UFC i despise........It ......as a company whole heartedly wants a monopoly on MMA And that will never happen!!

Post #4   2/22/10 10:24:55PM   

fizz

MMA Regular

fizz Avatar

Career:1,813-937
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:

And the fact that we didn’t cheat or cut corners in 2010, I think our fans are going to be very happy.

Admitting that they did cut corners in 2009...??? That game had some serious weakness i hope they will fix them...

I will not be fouled by the Title this year i am going to rent b4 buy this...

Post #5   2/22/10 10:34:20PM   

mentalcase

MMA Expert/Genius/God

mentalcase Avatar

Career:1,486-770
Chips:

Posted by Jride

Did THQ forget that Fedor is in the game?

Im spending $60 on the game for that reason alone.

you can easily create a perfect fedor for the ufc game by useing step by step instructions on create a fight forums

Last edited 2/22/10 10:52PM server time by mentalcase
2 total post edits

Post #6   2/22/10 10:52:01PM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Chips:

Posted by BustedKnuckle

Except for all of the talent involved!!!!!??? THQ is just a puppet under the UFC banner now and will say anything its told. Thats the only aspect of the UFC i despise........It ......as a company whole heartedly wants a monopoly on MMA And that will never happen!!

Oh I agree that competition's good, and I don't love something from the UFC because it's from the UFC.

No, EA MMA can have every fighter that's not in the UFC and it still won't matter to me if the game is dull and looks boring. Undisputed 2009 has a few flaws, like poor renders of some of the fighters like Amir and Vera, but on the whole the graphics are high quality and the colors pop.

I'm really excited to check out the head movement for the striking along with the additional disciplines and career modes in 2010. If the UI is cleaner and faster, and the netcode is brought up to match other online fighters, I'll be very very happy.

Post #7   2/22/10 11:18:52PM   

Jesse_Canadian_MMA

Belt Contender

Jesse_Canadian_MMA Avatar

Career:1,776-1,097
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
um yes there is about 80 excellent fighters and a trusted name

Post #8   2/22/10 11:20:04PM   

TimW001

MMA Sensei

TimW001 Avatar

Career:724-436
Chips:

Posted by isk

No, EA MMA can have every fighter that's not in the UFC and it still won't matter to me if the game is dull and looks boring.

Because of all of the gameplay videos we've seen, right?

Post #9   2/23/10 12:27:47AM   

jgtribbett

MMA Sensei

jgtribbett Avatar

Career:553-358
Camp: Team BloodLoss
Chips:
this game is rent/barrow only for me

Post #10   2/23/10 12:38:12AM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Chips:

Posted by TimW001
Because of all of the gameplay videos we've seen, right?

Defensive reply is defensive.

Never said it was boring, just saying if it's boring. When it comes out I'll give it a fair shot; I'm just not impressed by the admittedly limited media of EA MMA that's out right now.

Post #11   2/23/10 1:19:37AM   

Aiden08

Learning to Sprawl

Aiden08 Avatar

Career:587-469
Chips:

Posted by BustedKnuckle

ignorance. Dana White does not want a monopoly on MMA. he has gone on record many times in suppport of other smaller MMA companies. He just can't stand the fact that people actually try to compare Strikeforce to the UFC. And he has every right to. Do you have any idea how much blood, sweat, money, and tears Dana and Zuffa have put into making MMA what it is today? And now bullsh*t companies like Strikeforce and King of the Cage. Try to cash in on the popularity of what Dana and the UFC made possible. Plus EV ERYONE knows that the UFC has the best fighters in the world... and to be the best you have to beat the best... and that goes out to the insanely OVERrated FEDOR!!!

yeah i said it FEDOR IS WAAAAAAAAAY OVERATED!!!

honestly who has Fedor beat?

Big Nog, Heath Herring, Cro Cop, Mark Coleman, Arlovski, Coleman,and Rogers...

WOW thats AMAZING... Pffft! every single one of those guys you can search for on you tube and see them getting destroyed in the UFC so does that mean that Frank Mir is the best ever? Or Cain Velasquez? no it doesn't... but they fight in the best company with the best fighters... saying Fedor is the greatest is like taking an NBA star and putting him against High School players. yeah sure he's gonna win but so what

Post #12   2/23/10 4:55:50AM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,611-877
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Aiden08

Posted by BustedKnuckle

ignorance. Dana White does not want a monopoly on MMA. he has gone on record many times in suppport of other smaller MMA companies. He just can't stand the fact that people actually try to compare Strikeforce to the UFC. And he has every right to. Do you have any idea how much blood, sweat, money, and tears Dana and Zuffa have put into making MMA what it is today? And now bullsh*t companies like Strikeforce and King of the Cage. Try to cash in on the popularity of what Dana and the UFC made possible. Plus EV ERYONE knows that the UFC has the best fighters in the world... and to be the best you have to beat the best... and that goes out to the insanely OVERrated FEDOR!!!

yeah i said it FEDOR IS WAAAAAAAAAY OVERATED!!!

honestly who has Fedor beat?

Big Nog, Heath Herring, Cro Cop, Mark Coleman, Arlovski, Coleman,and Rogers...

WOW thats AMAZING... Pffft! every single one of those guys you can search for on you tube and see them getting destroyed in the UFC so does that mean that Frank Mir is the best ever? Or Cain Velasquez? no it doesn't... but they fight in the best company with the best fighters... saying Fedor is the greatest is like taking an NBA star and putting him against High School players. yeah sure he's gonna win but so what

I cannot tell if you are being sarcastic. Did you just compare Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, a former PRIDE and UFC title holder and consensus second greatest heavyweight in the history of MMA, to somebody that plays basketball for a high school team? A more apt comparison would be comparing him to a Shaquille O'Neal, a great basketball player that still has something to offer but whose best days are likely behind him.

Also, did you just say King of the Cage was attempting to solidify their spot among elite MMA promotions? I agree that Dana White is an asset for MMA's rise in popularity (as well as a problem as a spokesperson), but I do not agree that because Zuffa has accomplished so much that they should be free of competition. Right now they have the best product in mixed martial arts, but in the spirit of capitalism, that should not free them from other organizations trying to best them. When competition thrives, products get better (and I think the wealth of talent in the UFC right now attests to that).

Last edited 2/23/10 5:13AM server time by lohmann

Post #13   2/23/10 5:12:37AM   

Aiden08

Learning to Sprawl

Aiden08 Avatar

Career:587-469
Chips:
no basically the jist of what i was saying was...

#1 Dana White has a right to be protective and somewhat pissed that all he has worked for is now going towards Strikeforce just because of Fedor

#2 If Fedor was in the UFC and fighting the best then he would be the best, and the only UFC guys he has beaten have also been beaten even worse in the UFC. So basically just because Fedor beat them it means he's the greatest but if some fighter in the UFC beats them it's just normal

#3 Fedor is great but not the greatest. Right now he's an NBA ALL-STAR playing in college not High School lol sorry... (college) meaning SF and Affliction

Post #14   2/23/10 5:20:14AM   

BeeR

MMA Sensei

BeeR Avatar

Career:681-411
Chips:
Im an MMA fan, not a capitalist, so I will buy the game, if its really no good, which I doubt, then I can always trade it in.

Post #15   2/23/10 5:49:13AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2