Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Heath Herring clarifies recent UFC criticism, says non-fight ventures simply more lucrative

Print  
Posted By Message

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,869-1,573
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
“I think the whole five Ferrari comment is that at this point in my career, I’m actually making less money than when I was younger and I was 23 years old,” Herring told MMAjunkie.com. “Like I said, I’ve got these business opportunities that have arisen, and it actually makes more sense for me to try to do that financially than try to take the time out and fight. That’s the decision I’m being faced with right now.”

It wasn’t an easy decision, he noted.

“It’s obviously a risk that I wrestle with on a daily basis,” he said. “It’s been a very tough decision for me. But with my current contract, I feel like I’ve hit the glass ceiling, so to speak. It’s not that I don’t ever want to fight again. But I have to be intelligent with my body and my time, and (if) I can find something that pays off better, I need to go down that road.

“I’ve got a lot of scars and wounds but not a lot to show for it. It’s like, ‘Do you want to keep destroying your body?’ I love fighting. But it’s like you wake up one day – and I’m almost 32 years old now – and you say, ‘What have I really done? What’s the legacy I’ve left for my child and my family, other than do you want to watch me on YouTube? You want to watch me on Spike TV?’

Full Story

Post #1   2/19/10 1:19:59PM   

BigBadAl

In Full Mount

BigBadAl Avatar

Career:408-321
Chips:

Posted by KingCreep

this guy's a joke, anyone who takes this guy seriously needs to have their head examined because he's hardly marketable, unskilled and as a veteran, still has zero big wins (even a loss to jake o'brien!). i feel no sympathy for herring, before i was thinking that he needed time to heal his face after brock beat on, but failed to finish, him but now i see his true colours. i'm predicting that he'll be in strikeforce/dream soon enough and when he fails to muster up any big wins, he'd better have a good acting career lined up!

I would love to know what you have achieved in comparison that gives you right to make these comments.

Post #2   2/19/10 2:59:47PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Career:472-317
Camp: Journalistas
Chips:

Posted by BigBadAl

Posted by KingCreep

this guy's a joke, anyone who takes this guy seriously needs to have their head examined because he's hardly marketable, unskilled and as a veteran, still has zero big wins (even a loss to jake o'brien!). i feel no sympathy for herring, before i was thinking that he needed time to heal his face after brock beat on, but failed to finish, him but now i see his true colours. i'm predicting that he'll be in strikeforce/dream soon enough and when he fails to muster up any big wins, he'd better have a good acting career lined up!

I would love to know what you have achieved in comparison that gives you right to make these comments.

He does have a Jersey Shore avatar.

Post #3   2/19/10 3:39:22PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,518-886
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by KingCreep

Um,okay.
He beat a still very dangerous Igor Vovchanchyn,Evan Tanner, and was the first man to derail the Tom Erikson hype train back in the day.
He also fought Fedor for number one contendership of the PRIDE HW title.

Heath certainly isn't above gate keeper status,but not every fighter can be a champion. I wouldn't call Herring a joke.

Post #4   2/19/10 4:24:45PM   

Gogoplatapus

MMA Sensei

Gogoplatapus Avatar

Career:894-595
Camp: West Coast Canada
Chips:

Posted by mrsmiley

Posted by KingCreep

Um,okay.
He beat a still very dangerous Igor Vovchanchyn,Evan Tanner, and was the first man to derail the Tom Erikson hype train back in the day.
He also fought Fedor for number one contendership of the PRIDE HW title.

Heath certainly isn't above gate keeper status,but not every fighter can be a champion. I wouldn't call Herring a joke.

Not to mention he was a hammerfist away from being the first human being to KO Nog. Being a UFC gatekeeper is nothing to be ashamed of anyway.

Herring always speaks honestly, and he says things other fighters wouldn't dare. He's old school, I like that. I take him seriously.

Post #5   2/19/10 5:34:35PM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
That interview was actually very good.. This is the side of the sport that the casual fan doesn't see but that the guys who have trained this and been around the veterans do get to see. What do you do as you get older? How will you make a living? If you have a kid, how do you afford healthcare? Do you have to get surgery for that lingering problem you've had...and how do you pay for it. All those kinds of questions are real man. That's realness and real life. Calling someone a joke because they aren't Top five...kind of brutal and I have to agree with the guy who asked for your credentials.

Post #6   2/19/10 5:34:41PM   

RearNakedJoke

In Full Mount

RearNakedJoke Avatar

Career:1,226-867
Chips:

"But on the other side, I'm one of the few marketable heavyweights. I think I'm making them more money even by this stuff. By causing a commotion, it's even putting my name out there more, which is more marketing for them at this point. I'm not trying to cause a crusade against the UFC by any means."

does he really believe that? having a crazy hair style and wearing a cowboy hat doesnt make you marketable. having personality and putting on entertaining competitive fights makes you marketable.

Post #7   2/19/10 8:26:18PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:

Posted by KingCreep

Herring is a joke?
have you seen his fights?
watch his 1st fight against Nog and tell me that he's a joke. He's freakin' Houdini.

Post #8   2/20/10 1:38:07AM   

rcg916

He's Back...

rcg916 Avatar

Career:523-269
Chips:
Wow. Herring a joke?

Does he not even get props for going the distance with Brock ?(even if we pretend there is no life before UFC, and discount his numerous battles with Nog, Igor, and the like)

If there was a way to give reverse props, this would definitely be the time to use it...

Post #9   2/20/10 3:21:55AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,518-886
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by MaxOne

Posted by KingCreep

Herring is a joke?
have you seen his fights?
watch his 1st fight against Nog and tell me that he's a joke. He's freakin' Houdini.

I actually think his first fight with Nog is the best of all time.
I've never been more into any fight i've ever watched!

Post #10   2/20/10 9:39:36AM