Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Tim Sylvia: I can't fight Wes Sims at Adrenaline MMA because the commission said 'he sucks'

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

RhythmAndStyle

MMA Sensei

RhythmAndStyle Avatar

Career:2,348-1,408
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
The former UFC Heavyweight Champion tweeted the update earlier this morning.

"Damm u guys know more about me then I do they said he sucks. So I can't fight him cause it's a mismatch."

Ohio Athletic Commission executive director Bernie Profato today confirmed with MMAmania.com that Sims was indeed shot down for the proposed bout -- but that former UFC heavyweight Brandon Lee Hinkle was given the green light to compete.

Link

Post #1   2/17/10 11:53:23AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
Adrenaline MMA watch who you say sucks Big Timmy!

Post #2   2/17/10 12:14:11PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,393-817
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
Tim seriously needs to be back in the UFC , as does Arlovski , I don't think they are contenders anymore but they are a good test and would bring some star power to the lame Heavyweight division.

Post #3   2/17/10 1:48:18PM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:2,782-1,559
Chips:

Tim seriously needs to be back in the UFC , as does Arlovski , I don't think they are contenders anymore but they are a good test and would bring some star power to the lame Heavyweight division.

I totally agree with you here, especially Arlovski because his last two losses are to top 10 fighters. Sylvia lost in an inexcusable way, but I think most are under the impression that he took the Mercer fight VERY lightly, and that he is still at least a gatekeeper. Both are still tests for any heavyweight, at least in my eyes.

Post #4   2/17/10 2:06:25PM   

RearNakedJoke

In Full Mount

RearNakedJoke Avatar

Career:1,223-863
Chips:
Sylvia doesnt belong in the UFC.

the commision may have saved Timmy from more embarrassment.

Post #5   2/17/10 2:06:55PM   

jay98107

MMA Sensei

jay98107 Avatar

Career:2,782-1,559
Chips:

Posted by RearNakedJoke

Sylvia doesnt belong in the UFC.

the commision may have saved Timmy from more embarrassment.

At least Sylvia was good at one point, I'm not sure I can say the same about Wes Sims.

Post #6   2/17/10 2:16:49PM   

MMA_Alex

MMA Regular

Career:628-325
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:

Posted by sbulldavid

Really?

Lesnar
Dos Santos
Carwin
Mir
Big Nog
Velasquez
Gonzaga
And, to a lesser extent: Kongo, Couture, Cro Cop, Duffee (potentially)

Tim is definitely not UFC caliber right now. Arlovski has lost in bad fashion lately.

There's really only a few people that are outside of the UFC that could pose a threat to the contenders: Fedor, Overeem (once he stops fighting cans), Barnett (once he stops doing roids), maybe Rogers, maybe Lashlee

Post #7   2/17/10 2:17:22PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:
Yeah, I was really hoping they would let sims go knock Sylvia out.

Post #8   2/17/10 3:03:55PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,393-817
Chips:
It has no depth and the same guys have been waiting to fight for a year now. Heavyweights are supposed to be violent and devastating, that's the only reason why we tune in to watch them plod along. Sylvia is not so far gone as everyone thinks, he just not the great champ he thought he was, and he needs to get serious again.

Post #9   2/17/10 3:54:19PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,860-1,034
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by sbulldavid

It has no depth and the same guys have been waiting to fight for a year now. Heavyweights are supposed to be violent and devastating, that's the only reason why we tune in to watch them plod along. Sylvia is not so far gone as everyone thinks, he just not the great champ he thought he was, and he needs to get serious again.

I agree, before the Mercer fight it was common knowledge that Sylvia trained for that fight at the bar everynight. The fact that he had man-boobies and an extra 60 lbs of untrained fat on him going into that fight only reinforces that point.

If Sylvia can get serious and get down to a good 260 of fighting shape, he could pose legitamate threats for alot of fighters.

Kongo doesnt like people to hit him, and Sylvia would hit him hard, and frequently if they fought.

Carwin has holes in his defense that would allow someone like Sylvia to pick him apart if he could avoid the big overhand right. Carwin has Gnp power, but sylvia's length and carwins lack of transitioning skill would negate a huge portion of the power behind those punches.

etc...

anybody who would stand with sylvia, when sylvia is at 100% has a chance of losing that fight. He's UFC calibre. He may not be championship material anymore, but he can operate at the highest levels of the sport.

Post #10   2/17/10 4:32:45PM   

Qorvus

MMA Regular

Qorvus Avatar

Career:800-410
Chips:
When you're told you suck too much to fight Tim Syliva, it's time to call it a career.

Post #11   2/17/10 4:49:47PM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
Well Wes must have been really out of shape. I mean even more so then when he fought Lashley. And hopfully that also means that Timmy was in ok shape. I would love to see Tim get back to under 260. He could still be a serious threat to a lot of guys. Maybe not championship material but definatly a gatekeeper in the UFC. And gatekeeper in the UFC is much better than Champion of Adrenaline MMA. Not a shot at them....but!?

Post #12   2/17/10 5:41:04PM   

MMA-San

In Full Mount

MMA-San Avatar

Career:977-716
Camp: PLAYGROUND REJECTS
Chips:
I don't see how losing a competetive match to Nog, getting beaten quickly by the number 1 heavyweight in the world, and then being KO'ed by one punch by a former Olympic Boxing champion means you suck.

Sylvia would beat Mercer 95 out of 100 times, all Mercer has is the one pucnh KO...which is what he caught Timmy with.

In all reality he lost to Nog ( a fight he was winning...badly), and Fedor.

Timmy still has it, he doesn't suck.

What stinks in the MMA world, is if you were on top of the world, and then your not, then you are washed up, then you suck. Thats not how it works. There re thousands of MMA fighters out there...guys like Timmy, Arvloski, Trigg, Coleman and some other guys considered washed up just cuz they are not top 5 would defeat 95% of the fighters in their respective weight classes.

Just because you are not the best does not mean you suck.

Post #13   2/17/10 6:39:39PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,200-1,501
Chips:
At this point I don't think Sylvia is a mismatch for Wes Sims. They have both been embarrassing in the last couple years. Whatever though. I really don't think we have to worry about Sylvia (or Arlovski for that matter) in the UFC ever again. The game has evolved far above them. They would get hurt in the current UFC heavyweight division. I like Sylvia but based on his last few appearances I think he relegated himself permanently in "the minors".
I think a Tim Sylvia/Wes Sims matchup would have made sense.

Post #14   2/17/10 6:40:44PM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
I find it ridiculous how fickle most MMA fans are.

Who has Sylvia lost to? Fedor? Couture? Nog after putting a savage beating on him? The only loss that is even questionable is the loss to Mercer, a former world and olympic champ boxer who landed a clean shot. Anyone would go to sleep.

All of a sudden he's worse than Wes Sims? Give me a break. I never liked Sylvia any more than the rest of you, but give credit were it is due. This guy has ONLY lost to world champions in his entire career. Wes sims is no champion, Sylvia would still beat him handily, and could absolutely compete in the UFC even if it's not for the belt.

He got cut because he was boring, not because he was bad.

Post #15   2/17/10 7:04:31PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2