Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Does anyone else think there should be an MMA H.O.F?

Print  
Agree or Disagree
Agree 13 72%
Disagree 3 17%
Maybe 2 11%
Posted By Message

Taylor8766

Belt Contender

Taylor8766 Avatar

Career:740-512
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:
I know that the UFC has a Hall of Fame with some of the best fighters to ever fight in it. However, I was just thinking dont you guys think that there should be an MMA Hall, I mean look at some of the fighters that haven't fought for the UFC or have but haven't been successfull or have had little success, guys like Fedor, Overeem, Arona, Gomi, JZ, Gegard, Rutten, Yamamoto, F . Shamrock, Manhoef, Murilo Rua, Sakuraba and even guys like Wanderlei, Cro Cop, Arlovski, Henderson, Shogun, Belfort, Faber, Nogeuria Brothers. May not even make into any kinda Hall unless an MMA hall is created, I mean theres lots of other fighters that I'm sure I forgot to mention, that have had such successfull careers outside the UFC or limited in the UFC and still may not be inducted into a Hall, but does anyone else agree with me in that there should be an overall MMA hall instead of just a UFC one?

Post #1   2/16/10 8:13:19PM   

CwB

MMA Sensei

CwB Avatar

Career:221-151
Chips:
I agree that there needs to be an overall MMA HOF, the problem is finding a group to run it that would not be subjective to Brands...

Zuffa cant, cause they wont acknowledge that other Org's have Talent

Yamma, was a complete disaster and subjective to non UFC fighters.

So who would start this MMA Hall?-It would have to be someone or some group that was highly regarded in the MMA Comunity. Why would they start it? - Theres no money to be made creating one.

Plus I bet Zuffa would find a way (Through Contracts) to keep retired Zuffa fighters out, that way they could continue to discredit the likes of Fedor.

Its a great Idea to have an MMA HOF, but I just dont see it happening

Post #2   2/16/10 8:28:28PM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,649-899
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
There probably will be one day, depending on whether or not the sport has the longevity I hope it does, but right now the idea seems to lack feasbility considering the lack of HOF worthy fighters in the short history of the sport. How many fighters truly belong in a "Hall of Fame?" MMA fans would be quick to rattle a lot of established fighters, like Mirko CroCop and Josh Barnett for instance, but in fifteen or twenty years - as the sport develops - there's a chance the only heavyweights that will be remembered fondly as all-time great "legends" would be Fedor Emelianenko and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira.

A little more history for the sport should help a little with trying to create criteria for "hall-of-fame" worthy fighters. (The WBHF and IBHOF are, in comparison, relatively new establishments. The Baseball Hall of Fame was no created until the 1930s, decades after the inception of the MLB.)

Post #3   2/16/10 9:27:02PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,632-1,680
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Who would be in it? Well for one definately NOT Josh Barnett....there is no honor in cheating repeatidly.

My Noms:
HW- Fedor, Cro Cop, Big Nog, Mir, Shammy, Timmay
LHW- Chuck, Wand, Shogun, Rampage, Hendo, Forrest, Tito
MW- Silva, Franklin, Tanner, Hendo,
WW- GSP, Hughes, Diaz
LW- Penn, Aoki, Sherk, Hansen, Alvarez, Guida, Florian
Lifetime- Couture, Silva, Hendo, GSP, Penn, Tito, Franklin, Sherk, Hughes, Wand, Chuck, Shammy, Nog, Fedor, Royce Gracie

This isn't totally complete as I have forgotten many I'm sure (and I'm sure you all will point out who they are), however Ithink you go by weight class and then by who's impacted the sport as a whole. If they are nuts, it's cool, ups and downs, it's all good, but roids..........NO. (So yes I know that Sherk and Gracie may be no go's....but I think they have done enough otherwise while Barnett has not, and he's done it many times). Obviously this is just my very opinionated opinion!

Edit: Oh, and I think we should take on this great challenge! Vote in a commision if you will, make our nominations, debate and come to our conclussions then post it in a thread. What do you think of that one Mods!??

Last edited 2/17/10 2:19AM server time by jae_1833
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #4   2/17/10 2:17:07AM   

CwB

MMA Sensei

CwB Avatar

Career:221-151
Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

Who would be in it? Well for one definately NOT Josh Barnett....there is no honor in cheating repeatidly. ...

What are you talking about they still get in, they just get one of these next to there names *

Post #5   2/17/10 5:20:30AM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:
I agree with CwB, there isn't anyone right now who could manage such a thing. WAMMA has clearly failed.

More importantly, I don't think the sport has been around long enough to warrant a Hall of Fame. I like that Major League Baseball requires players to be retired before being eligible for induction, and they require that a player be retired for 5 years, just to be sure. You'd need a different requirement for non-fighters, trainers and promoters and the like.

Post #6   2/17/10 11:33:18AM   

Mchubb316

MMA Sensei

Mchubb316 Avatar

Career:838-517
Camp: Strikers Inc.
Chips:

Posted by AchillesHeel

I agree with CwB, there isn't anyone right now who could manage such a thing. WAMMA has clearly failed.

More importantly, I don't think the sport has been around long enough to warrant a Hall of Fame. I like that Major League Baseball requires players to be retired before being eligible for induction, and they require that a player be retired for 5 years, just to be sure. You'd need a different requirement for non-fighters, trainers and promoters and the like.

Agreed. The sport needs to be around a little longer and there needs to be a bigger pool of eligible fighters deserving HOF status, that have been out of competition for a few years. There needs to be a panel of unbiased people who have a say in who is in. I do not know if there is enough writers covering the sport for them to have a vote to make it legit. I do think there is a few MMA guys who would be great ambassadors for such a thing, like Bass Rutten, Kenny Rice, (they seem to be pretty fair to all orgs.), Jay Glazer, and maybe the Tapout guys(been around for a long time and seen a lot of fighters). Just my thought on this.

Post #7   2/22/10 8:15:45PM