Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Dana White interview: In the UFC, Herschel Walker would die

Print  
Posted By Message

scpd400

MMA Regular

scpd400 Avatar

Career:1,735-1,203
Camp: Team Topaz
Chips:
You know what makes me crazy is the media attention it got. ESPN will cover Herschel Walker fighting when you got guys like George St. Pierre, Anderson Silva, Brock Lesnar, and B.J. Penn. http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Dana-White-interview-In-the-UFC-Herschel-Walke?urn=mma,219814

Post #1   2/16/10 9:12:44AM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
i agree, it was a walker demonstration, rather than a fight. I wanna see Walker take on del rosario or one of the other sf up n comers. Sf will hand pick his fights like lashley, and both will get credit for being great after beating no one.
how bout walker vs lashley?

Last edited 2/16/10 10:05AM server time by icantthinkofanything
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   2/16/10 9:59:48AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,566-924
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
1. Yes,Walker would get dismantled pretty convincingly by any top tier or middle tier HW in the UFC.

2.Yes,it's a shame that a guy like him gets ESPN notoriety. The likes of GSP,Anderson,Machida,etc should be getting more coverage. Within the context of MMA anyways.

3. At the same time it was that same type of coverage that couldn't keep Dana White and company from allowing a guy like Kimbo Slice into their promotion.
I would have hoped Dana would have chosen his words and arguments more carefully by now.

It seems to me that this works in two functions.
Yes Walker is probably getting a bit too much coverage. That is obvious.
But at the same token Zuffa has shown it's not against taking a guy with mass appeal and churning him out as a respectable fighter in order to grant him into the graces of the octagon if for nothing more than to garner themselves with massive ratings.
It's by no means a necessaryly bad practice,and is certainly understanable to keep profit vitality.
But this comes off a bit like the coffee calling the kettle black.

Post #3   2/16/10 10:04:44AM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,554-840
Chips:
Yet he hasn't written off the thought of pitting James Toney against a HW to cash in on a PPV.

Post #4   2/16/10 10:09:17AM   

Giant_Ochai

BANNED

Career:433-278
Chips:
Dana White is a hypocrite. Maybe his scumbag comments would have made sense if Walker had said he would trash the UFC's fighters, but he didn't. Walker could probably beat Kimbo.

Post #5   2/16/10 10:32:48AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,618-946
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by Giant_Ochai

Dana White is a hypocrite. Maybe his scumbag comments would have made sense if Walker had said he would trash the UFC's fighters, but he didn't. Walker could probably beat Kimbo.

I doubt very much that Walker could beat Kimbo. His fight was REALLY REALLY BAD, against a REALLY REALLY BAD opponent.

I'm no fan of the UFC's decision in keeping kimbo around but he's certainly a better fighter than Herschel Walker.

Post #6   2/16/10 12:51:53PM