Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Din Thomas Plans MMA Welcome For Mayorga

Print  
Posted By Message

RhythmAndStyle

MMA Sensei

RhythmAndStyle Avatar

Career:2,336-1,398
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Former UFC lightweight contender Din Thomas has been on a roll. Since bidding farewell to the UFC and the 155-pound class in early 2008, the American Top Team product has gone 3-0 as a featherweight, most recently earning a second-round TKO over Dustin Pague on Jan. 8 of this year.

Link

Post #1   2/15/10 2:31:05PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:
Love Din Thomas! Dude's cool as heck.
hope he get this fight and doesn't try to out box mayorga.

Post #2   2/15/10 3:33:38PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,496-876
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I'm not to sure he wouldn't me able to out box Mayorga. Din has good stand up and MMA isn't boxing. Even the striking game will be a big difference from what Mayorga is used to. Still, best to take the fight where you have the biggest advantage, the ground.

Post #3   2/15/10 4:31:18PM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:
Mayorga is a badass dude haha. Love boxing and he's always been one of my favorites too watch, very entertaining. Definitely won't be a boring fight. Hate that Mayorga's doing this and against Din Thomas who I also have enjoyed watching in the past, toss up for me, if Thomas stands he'll get KO'd IMO, which I think he will. Maybe Mayorga will puff on a cigar afterwards too hahaa

Post #4   2/15/10 4:47:19PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

I'm not to sure he wouldn't me able to out box Mayorga. Din has good stand up and MMA isn't boxing. Even the striking game will be a big difference from what Mayorga is used to. Still, best to take the fight where you have the biggest advantage, the ground.

when i say out box i mean like in boxing. obviously if he makes mayorga think about defending the take down and he's landing, kicks, knees & elbows...then he has a chance in the stand up but....

pride could lead him to try to stand and box. That's a bad idea IMO.

Post #5   2/15/10 5:16:55PM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:2,338-1,248
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Din better be smart about this and take the fight to the ground where he is superior....pretty sure he is a BJJ black belt and has good size at FW, so he should have no issue subbing a green ground guy like Mayorga.

I'd also like to see Din in the WEC if he wins, that'd be 4 in a row @ featherweight.

Post #6   2/15/10 5:28:44PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,841-1,016
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Mayorga is tough as nails, and succeded at the top levels of boxing against anyone that would brawl with him.

Hes going to be like a technical chris leben, din can probably out box him honestly, but in doing so i think hell get caught hard.

Mayorga is a cigar-smoker and not a smart fighter, if it goes to the ground din will have already won.

Post #7   2/15/10 7:06:00PM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
Mayorga wasn't the greatest boxer, but he was definitely game and dangerous for about 5 or 6 rounds. Even on a technical level he wasn't good... just a brawler. That being said, for MMA I guarantee you that as far as MMA level boxing goes Mayorga's boxing will be very very solid. Some people here have pretty much nailed it, though- Din Thomas should use Mayorga's brawler style against him and mix it up with kicks to the body, clinches, and rangier attacks to frustrate and wear down Mayorga who always had a problem with cardio anyways

Post #8   2/15/10 7:51:22PM