Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC Quick Quote: Heath Herring calls out Dana White and Zuffa for unfair treatment

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:2,668-1,426
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
"I really don't care too much for them, and I don't think they care too much for me (Dana White and the UFC ownership group).... They've got their guys they want to push, guys they want to market. Randy Couture, Brock Lesnar and Frank Mir are the guys they want to push and market. The problem is if you're one of the guys who's not one of their favorites, they want to keep you out of the competition.... I'm trying to make money for myself, feed my family, and these guys are trying to do everything they can to make it impossible for me.... With the way the UFC's pay scale is and as much as it costs me to get ready for a fight, at the end of the day I made like 40 grand...

link

Post #1   2/14/10 5:22:57PM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:2,668-1,426
Chips:
I'll be the first to say that I agree w/ Heath and I think these guys really need to start getting paid more. I think it's about time the payscale is bumped, I mean...it definitely has already over the years, but he is right, if you only fight a few times a year, it's gotta be hard to make a living.

Post #2   2/14/10 5:25:40PM   

SpiderSilva

1/31/15 a Legend returns

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,904-1,184
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Look at how much these guys got paid 5 even 6 years ago they get paid way more and the guys who bring in the money ie Lesnar, Couture, Liddell will get paid more cause their name sells as long as they win hell where would Herring be if he beat Nog and Lesnar in those fights Im sure he would be paid better

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #3   2/14/10 5:40:27PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
Should have got a desk job. We all want the fighters to make good money and if he is talking 40,000 per fight thats more then alot of people make in a year. I find it hard to belive he wasn't offered a fight since the Brock fight to.

Post #4   2/14/10 6:33:24PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,572-930
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I can see both sides of the story.
Here's a few pros and cons from both sides:

1.I do think though that it's a bit telling that even when Heath was fighting in PRIDE's hayday,he stated that it was his dream to fight in the UFC.
I hate to see it left a bad taste in his mouth.

2.On the other side of the coin, Zuffa owns the ufc.
Under a model simular to that of the WWE I don't think any fighter should be expecting a whole lot unless they are top tier. That just seems to be the way the cookie crumbles.

3. I somewhat got to agree with Heath that some fighters do seem to get a special nudge from the status quo at certain times. I'm not sure if it's as thick as Heath is trying to make it out to be,but their are a few instances were it rings very true.
Take for instance Heath's fight with Cheick Kongo. It was by no means an amazing fight and it did end on a split decision,but it did seem like Heaths win was treated as some strange anamonoly that wasn't suppose to happen.
I love Couture and he's somewhat like a wise sage of MMA,but his record isn't as impressive as the memories he's created in the octagon. A double sided blade indeed. Call that a backhanded complement to Couture if you like. I think Arloski is somewhat in the same catagory and Chael Sonnen made a respectable point about this as well.

4.Heaths UFC career hasn't been what a fighter would hope for.
It's not been without its merit either but still. How much could Heath be asking for based on what he had and hasn't done in the octagon?

5. I do agree with what he said about the whole Feriarri issue and Dana White.
If he does own that many sport cars while some of the fighters that have went out their to help build the promotion are struggling just for one,well that is a bit of BS in my all honest opinion. Even if taken somewhat as a metaphor it's still a brave and noble point for Herring to make.

Either way it's an issue that has two very solid sides of the story.
The UFC has to grow. But should the fighters have more of a "say" and make bigger pay days? Possibly at the expense of Zuffa?
Or is Zuffa just being too greedy?
The only thing I can say for certain is that the farther along times develops in the Mixed Martial Arts world,the more it seems fighters have trouble with Zuffa.

Post #5   2/14/10 6:33:55PM   

mshalosky

Standup Guy

mshalosky Avatar

Career:362-216
Chips:

Look at how much these guys got paid 5 even 6 years ago they get paid way more and the guys who bring in the money ie Lesnar, Couture, Liddell will get paid more cause their name sells as long as they win hell where would Herring be if he beat Nog and Lesnar in those fights Im sure he would be paid better

I completely agree i think it is a very fair sysytem. I think the idea that you get paid based on how well your name sells is great. The other thing is they get alot more money then it seems because of sponsorships. The reason people think the pay is so bad is because they compare it to the ridiculous pay that boxers get. So the point is train hard, have good fights, and sell yourself and you will get paid.

Post #6   2/14/10 6:36:47PM   

RhythmAndStyle

MMA Sensei

RhythmAndStyle Avatar

Career:2,560-1,523
Chips:
agreed...

Post #7   2/14/10 7:39:28PM   

AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

BANNED

AnDeRsonDaSiLvA Avatar

Career:510-259
Chips:
After dana reads this and cuts heath , he will make a nice addition to the strikeforce roster . Brett rogers vs heath herring anyone?

Post #8   2/14/10 7:52:55PM   

soundboy1

Standup Guy

soundboy1 Avatar

Career:521-395
Chips:

Posted by postman

Should have got a desk job. We all want the fighters to make good money and if he is talking 40,000 per fight thats more then alot of people make in a year. I find it hard to belive he wasn't offered a fight since the Brock fight to.

while that may be a lot more than people make in a year, You have to consider what Zuffa makes off of that one single fight.....between the gate,ppv,ufc unleashed etc......40 k is chump change.....

The only thing that can change this is for MMA to become a legitimate sport with a comission and someone to answer to. Dana and Zuffa will exploit their fighters as much as possible until the fighters stand up for themselves and unionize. It's a shame the UFC is the premier league because they treat their fighters like cattle.

Post #9   2/14/10 8:40:00PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
$40,000 for 3 months work....and your a pro athlete? And on top of that Heath is a vet. I think it's pretty clear cut guys like him deserve more. Then factor in if you get injured and can't fight for an extended period of time. Good job to you that said get a desk job, how sick would it be for all the fighters not making the top dollar to get desk jobs....

Post #10   2/14/10 8:47:46PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,626-950
Chips:
Aw.... poor heath herring. He's a B-level fighter in the twilight of his career and he can make 40,000 PROFIT (because he says after costs for training) from a single fight.

The guy is practically living on the streets. You know what, we should take all the Hatti Relief money and donate it to heath Herring instead. He's obviously in extreme poverty.

Post #11   2/14/10 9:25:43PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,684-1,420
Chips:
i agree with heath
he needs to fight

Post #12   2/14/10 9:26:26PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Career:472-317
Camp: Journalistas
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Aw.... poor heath herring. He's a B-level fighter in the twilight of his career and he can make 40,000 PROFIT (because he says after costs for training) from a single fight.

The guy is practically living on the streets. You know what, we should take all the Hatti Relief money and donate it to heath Herring instead. He's obviously in extreme poverty.

I'd give you props but I've gotta spread the love. Friggin hilarious.

Listen, listen, it's the worlds smallest violin.

Post #13   2/14/10 9:28:10PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

$40,000 for 3 months work....and your a pro athlete? And on top of that Heath is a vet. I think it's pretty clear cut guys like him deserve more. Then factor in if you get injured and can't fight for an extended period of time. Good job to you that said get a desk job, how sick would it be for all the fighters not making the top dollar to get desk jobs....

I wanna see them make as much money as they can but where is he???? You got to win fights to make money. I took it that after paying for his camp he made 40,000 fight 3 times a year and that 120,000 doing something you love that as muchg as we all love it MMA isn't as big as the NFL or MLB or the NBA. I might be wrong was that before he paid for his camp?

Post #14   2/14/10 9:39:19PM   

TimW001

MMA Sensei

TimW001 Avatar

Career:724-436
Chips:
We all knew this. I hope more fighters wake up to this.

Post #15   2/14/10 10:13:20PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2