Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

StrikeForce Weighs In On Shields As TUF 11 Coach

Print  
Posted By Message

RhythmAndStyle

MMA Sensei

RhythmAndStyle Avatar

Career:2,496-1,495
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
"Jake is always looking for more exposure, and try to increase his brand as an individual," Coker told MMAWeekly Radio recently. "When I heard about it, it was like when Robbie Lawler was doing The Ultimate Fighter when Matt Hughes was coaching. We see it as no different, and Chuck asked him to be the coach, and where Jake trains it doesn't matter."

Link

Post #1   2/13/10 12:08:34PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
I dont see it as a big deal, it's just like how GSP was at the last SF event.

Post #2   2/13/10 2:08:33PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,763-1,756
Chips:
I think the cross exposure is good for all parties. It's good for Shields to cross train with other fight camps because it broadens his horizons and shows him different training techniques that he may or may not like (he is still getting owned by Henderson). It's good for TUF, it softens the image they have due to their "Exclusive" contract dealings, it also lends a hand to the guys training with Liddell....they get a great wrestling coach. It's good for SF because it legitimizes one of their champions in the eyes of the common casual MMA fan, it introduces Shields to many people who earlier knew only of 5-10 of the largest names in the sport. Now if this could get the non-exclusive contracts ball rolling, I'd poo myself!

Post #3   2/13/10 3:29:43PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,598-933
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

Now if this could get the non-exclusive contracts ball rolling, I'd poo myself!

The problem isn't exclusive contracts, thats just good business. The problem is all these other Orgs. trying to compete with the UFC. If you look at the most successful sports, they're all dominated by one major league. NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL. If you look at a sport that's struggling right now, Boxing, they have multiple organizations. Any and all competitors to the UFC are the ones hurting the sport. They got into it when it was young and risky. They've worked their way into becoming the largest MMA Promotion on the Planet. All these Johny-come-lately's are the ones keeping the fans from seeing the best fight the best.

Anyone who is a true fan of MMA should throw their support in with the UFC. When no one else can pay fighters good money, they'll have two options. UFC or Retirement. The vast majority will choose to keep their Jobs and we can see Fedor vs Brock Lesnar and all those other Dream matchups that the UFC's rival promotions have prevented the fans from seeing.

Post #4   2/13/10 5:21:43PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by jae_1833

Now if this could get the non-exclusive contracts ball rolling, I'd poo myself!

The problem isn't exclusive contracts, thats just good business. The problem is all these other Orgs. trying to compete with the UFC. If you look at the most successful sports, they're all dominated by one major league. NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL. If you look at a sport that's struggling right now, Boxing, they have multiple organizations. Any and all competitors to the UFC are the ones hurting the sport. They got into it when it was young and risky. They've worked their way into becoming the largest MMA Promotion on the Planet. All these Johny-come-lately's are the ones keeping the fans from seeing the best fight the best.

Anyone who is a true fan of MMA should throw their support in with the UFC. When no one else can pay fighters good money, they'll have two options. UFC or Retirement. The vast majority will choose to keep their Jobs and we can see Fedor vs Brock Lesnar and all those other Dream matchups that the UFC's rival promotions have prevented the fans from seeing.

Except the UFC isn't the WBC WBO IBF or any of those. The UFC is the equivalent of HBO boxing vs Strikeforce being Showtime boxing.

WAMMA would be the equivalent of the WBC, the difference here is that MMA has developed very diffferently and runs on a different model.

So if anything support the other orgs and poop on the sanctioning commissions.

Post #5   2/13/10 6:28:41PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,763-1,756
Chips:
Exclusive contracts are good/bad depending on what you want out of the MMA Sport. If we have only the UFC (monopoly) then we can only see those fighter's that company employs (i.e. no Lawler vs Manhoef...No Henderson, etc...) Most businesses thrive within compettition, most sports have "minor leagues". IMO that's what these other orgs are...minor leagues (except for Dream) and so long as they continue to show good fights I will continue to show them my support. I really think that WAMMA was a good concept but that it was ran poorly, Zuffa and FEG should (again IMO) work together on occassion to give us the best fights possible....even if that means the other guy makes a little bit of $$ off of it.

Post #6   2/13/10 7:10:00PM