Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

What should I buy: XBox or PS3?

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

RhythmAndStyle

MMA Sensei

RhythmAndStyle Avatar

Career:2,298-1,373
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
ps3 online is great..it's free..can't go wrong with that..and xbox 360 pulled the older xbox game from their online system..so you can only play the newer games online..from what i read..but i guess it depends on what game your playin online on both system..since the more user online for that game the better it is...

Post #16   2/13/10 2:01:51PM   

karn501

In Full Mount

karn501 Avatar

Career:134-103
Chips:
I've got both it really depends on what you are looking for graphics is hands down ps3 ps3's live is free but 360's is waaaaaaaayyyyy better and well worth paying for 360 also has better games but most of the games are on both systems and imo the 360 controller is way better except for the pointless d-pad also you can get a lot of the older 360 games for really cheap and they school the sh** out of ps3 games if you ever played perfect dark on n-64 perfect daark zero was the sh** especially for a console release game as far as the blu-ray goes I don't use it 3 people I know fried their ps3's just by trying to watch bluray I think they fixed the problem but I still won't use them if you do get a ps3 get uncharted 2 it is amazing

Post #17   2/13/10 2:08:42PM   

king_katool

MMA Sensei

king_katool Avatar

Career:325-231
Chips:
if your going to be getting the final fantasy then you MUST go with the PS3, the xbox cant handle it and the game makers need to put it on 3-4 discs, where the PS3 is just one, final fantasy will look and play MUCH MUCH smoother on the PS3

Last edited 2/13/10 2:54PM server time by king_katool
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #18   2/13/10 2:53:57PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Career:472-317
Camp: Journalistas
Chips:
WOW. Overwhelming response for the PS3. Thanks for all your input guys. I think I'm sold. PS3 it is. I can't wait. I'll probably wait to buy until we've moved since I'm gonna be busy with all the BS that goes along with moving. Once we are all settled I'm gonna go pickup a new TV, and a PS3 as well as a couple of games. The new Final Fantasy will be out by then, and I'll be all set.

Now I'm just going to have to work game purchases into my budget somehow without my fiance' killing me.

Post #19   2/13/10 3:34:54PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
Things people may not think about: When you buy your ps3 you don't need to buy any cables or router, it's built in, you also don't have to pay for online, you dont have to buy batteries for the controllers or buy a battery pack($50 I believe), you get bluray, and then it's the ring of death. My roommates xbox has the red ring right now, well, i'm going to go back to watching blurays on my working ps3.

Post #20   2/13/10 5:03:22PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,431-836
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
I"ve owned both systems and I highly recommend the PS3 over the 360.
I owned 3 Xbox 360's.
I've yet to meet a person that has their original 360. They just red light like nothing.

The only advantage I give the 360 is the online gameplay is better and more active than the Ps3's.
But,with the PS3 you play online for free,so it's really a give and take with either choice.
One thing I like better about the PS3's online network is the back catalog of games you can download for reasonable prices.

1.Final Fantasy 7 and 8
2.Resident evil 1,2,3.
3.Dino Crisis
4.Fighting Force
5.Metal Gear Solid

And that's just to name a few.

The blu ray player is a plus as well.

If online gaming doesn't matter as much to you,I say go with the PS3.
If online is everything to you,go with the 360.
Really either choice is a good one,but the red ring of death really marks down the 360 for me.

But with the PS3 I would suggest being very careful with dust,smoke,etc around your system. The blu ray lense is very sensitive to these things.

Post #21   2/13/10 6:22:13PM   

mkiv9secsupra

MMA Sensei

mkiv9secsupra Avatar

Career:1,051-706
Chips:
Honestly there is no real answer. It all comes down to what type of games you will be playing. If you are going to stick with sports games then go straight for the ps3 but if you want the best FPS's then go for the 360, and personally i think the best RPG/Strategy games.

And yes, the PS3 is a technically superior system in every way possible. processing power, graphics, etc. The bluray is great if you want to spend money on bluray movies which will never be big. So the Bluray is a pro and con in itself

Also do NOT listen to anything about 360s having problems. If you buy it new all the problems people are listing will have already been resolved since the 360s with issues have all been recalled or sold.

And whatever you do dont waste your money on a wii

Post #22   2/13/10 7:57:26PM   

D0wnUnd6e6r

Don't Eat The Yellow Snow

D0wnUnd6e6r Avatar

Career:1,941-1,082
Chips:
no one could ever change my mind on the subject that ps3 is better than xbox360

Post #23   2/14/10 6:31:20PM   

tepid55

MMA Sensei

tepid55 Avatar

Career:2,746-1,518
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
Get a PS3, you never know when an XBOX 360 will break down and quit on you.

Post #24   2/14/10 9:23:13PM   

karn501

In Full Mount

karn501 Avatar

Career:134-103
Chips:

Posted by tepid55

just so everyone knows they fixed the problem with the 360 a long time ago and even before they did they replaced them for free so if someone is going to get a ps3 over a 360 this is a stupid reason to be a deciding factor

Post #25   2/15/10 12:09:02AM   

Lord_Lenny

In Full Mount

Career:1,113-723
Camp: Broderskapet
Chips:
I've had to send my xbox in twice, but it was the original set of 360's, they've since improved on them. And both times it was repaired and shipped back free and quick so thats not really as huge of an issue as playstation fans would have you believe

From a list 360 has:
-a wider variety of exclusive titles
-Works as DVD/CD/Cellphone/MP3 Dock
-unquestionably the best online service, even the free version allows you to download updates, new content etc. You can be in a chat with 7 friends playing completely different games
-Easy to connect with windows systems. stream video/music/pics from your PC/Zune/Flash drives
-Instantly stream Netflix straight to your Xbox and onto your tv free if you subscribe to netflix. you can even watch the same movie with a party of people online and chat during(ps3 is getting this soon i think)
-Backwards Compatible Xbox 1 games
-Xbox Arcade allows cheap: original xbox games, arcade games to be downloaded
-free Indie games
-360 controller works on PC
-Detachable hard drive to bring to a friends house
-All games can be dowloaded from the disc to hard drive to lessen loading
time
-Fully integrated with facebook and twitter

Some of that may be useless to you but in my opinion, having played both, the 360 is a better console for every type of gamer hardcore, moderate, or just casual.

On a side note, as the games are being made to utilize consoles full capabilities, more and more developers are having difficulty with the ps3's higher end functions leading to delays, non-exclusivity and even dropped titles

That in no way means i think PS3 is garbage or anything, Blue ray and a handful of their exclusives (uncharted, God of War etc.) make it a strong console. But the 360 games tend to be just plain better in every genre. Unless you're into Japanese RPG as opposed to Western style RPGs

Post #26   2/15/10 4:19:14AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,804-1,005
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Xbox plays Shooters better.
Ps3 plays fighting games better.

Since those are the only 2 types of games i play that require split second reaction timing, i would base my decision on one pure empirical fact.

The Xbox D-pad is the most frustrating thing in the entire world to use. You will never enjoy any fighting game you possess if you have to use the Xbox D-pad. Ever.

Post #27   2/15/10 4:34:51AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Chips:

Posted by karn501

Posted by tepid55

just so everyone knows they fixed the problem with the 360 a long time ago and even before they did they replaced them for free so if someone is going to get a ps3 over a 360 this is a stupid reason to be a deciding factor

This confuses me a bit.

As far as late 09 the 360 failure rate still seems abnormaly high.

Such as this statistic:

CONSOLE FAILURE RATE
PlayStation 3 - 10.6 percent
Wii - 6.8 percent
Xbox 360 - 54.2 percent

SECOND CONSOLE FAILURE RATE
PlayStation 3 - 14.7 percent
Wii - 11 percent
Xbox 360 - 41.2 percent

GAMERS WITH FRIENDS WHO HAVE HAD A CONSOLE FAILURE
PlayStation 3 - 12.4 percent
Wii - 6 percent
Xbox 360 - 69.9 percent

"VERY HELPUL" CUSTOMER SUPPORT RATING
Sony - 51.1 percent
Nintendo - 56.1 percent
Microsoft - 37.7 percent

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6215590.html

This next statistic is a more believable:

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/19165.cfm

Putting the 360 at 23% failure rate.
Still,this makes it the highest of all three systems.
A few variables should be applied understanably. Such as hours played,treatment,placement,etc.

Post #28   2/15/10 6:31:48PM   

FlashyG

MMA Sensei

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,135-1,197
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Those stats are misleading Mrsmiley, It only shows when the console failed. It doesn't account for when the console was purchased.

How do we know that those consoles even have the new jasper chipset?

Your second artice states the new jasper chips have almost completely killed the RROD. They expect the failure rate to continue to fall.

Also I'm pretty sure the new PS3's with a reduced price cannot play the older consoles games. They removed that to reduce the price. I can't be 100% sure of this though, my PS3 is the old version.

Post #29   2/18/10 12:04:39PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

Those stats are misleading Mrsmiley, It only shows when the console failed. It doesn't account for when the console was purchased.

How do we know that those consoles even have the new jasper chipset?

Your second artice states the new jasper chips have almost completely killed the RROD. They expect the failure rate to continue to fall.

Also I'm pretty sure the new PS3's with a reduced price cannot play the older consoles games. They removed that to reduce the price. I can't be 100% sure of this though, my PS3 is the old version.

Hopefully the rate does continue to fall,though I'm curious to see how the Jasper maintains the systems in the long term.

No,the slims cannot play PS2 games,though I do believe they can play PS1 games.

Post #30   2/18/10 2:59:39PM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3