Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Winner of Bisping-Wanderlei faces Akiyama

Print  
Posted By Message

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,632-1,680
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
fighter'sonlymag.com

There had been some talk of Bisping putting himself into title contention should he take Wanderlei out in impressive fashion later this month. However, an industry source tells Fighters Only that the plan now is to have him face the Japanese welterweight should he emerge victorious.

Akiyama is also likely to be on the menu for Wanderlei should he get past Bisping. The two were set to fight at one point last year before the UFC decided on a Bisping-Wanderlei match instead.

Post #1   2/10/10 12:48:35AM   

EvenFlow

banned

EvenFlow Avatar

Career:432-232
Chips:
Akiyama vs Wanderlei, I'm already excited for that fight. Tough to determine if Akiyama will have ring rust, the sexyness should make it an even fight though.

Post #2   2/10/10 12:55:49AM   

Jride

Standup Guy

Jride Avatar

Career:864-583
Chips:

Post #3   2/10/10 1:48:17AM   

SamPan

Standup Guy

Career:1,079-655
Chips:

Posted by EvenFlow

Akiyama vs Wanderlei, I'm already excited for that fight. Tough to determine if Akiyama will have ring rust, the sexyness should make it an even fight though.

I also think Wanderlei will beat Bisping. But, I think both Wanderlei and Bisping would beat Akiyama. I think Akiyama's a very good fighter, but I think his records deceptive. In his only UFC fight I, and I think most people other than the judges, had him losing. I think Bisping would win a close decision and Wanderlei would KO him.

Post #4   2/10/10 2:57:58AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,894-1,054
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
"In his only UFC fight I, and I think most people other than the judges, had him losing. "

Well i didnt, but nonetheless i think debut jitters and a kick to the nuts that Akiyama no time to recover from had a big portion to do with it. Akiyama didnt know he had 5 minutes to recover.

And with that in mind, who at MW can win a fight against belcher on the feet, right after getting kicked in the balls.

Post #5   2/10/10 4:12:32AM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:911-636
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
im glad winner gets akiyama. i wanna see wandy get on a role. he is been more cautious and has become predictable. id like to see bisping get mounted and pounded.

Post #6   2/10/10 6:54:37AM   

BigBadAl

In Full Mount

BigBadAl Avatar

Career:408-321
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

"In his only UFC fight I, and I think most people other than the judges, had him losing. "

Well i didnt, but nonetheless i think debut jitters and a kick to the nuts that Akiyama no time to recover from had a big portion to do with it. Akiyama didnt know he had 5 minutes to recover.

And with that in mind, who at MW can win a fight against belcher on the feet, right after getting kicked in the balls.

I had Belcher winning that one. And with the 5 minutes rest thing. Who actually steps into a cage without knowing what rules are in place? That is surely a severe schoolboy error.

Post #7   2/10/10 8:16:21AM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Chips:

Posted by BigBadAl

Posted by Pookie

I had Belcher winning that one. And with the 5 minutes rest thing. Who actually steps into a cage without knowing what rules are in place? That is surely a severe schoolboy error.

Sexy people

Post #8   2/10/10 3:24:33PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,478-1,317
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
i still think akiyama needs another fight but clearly who ever wins akiyama/ vs bisping/silva will get a title shot next perhaps

Post #9   2/10/10 5:05:38PM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,649-899
Chips:

Posted by Pookie

Agreed. Akiyama won that fight, fairly handily picking up two rounds and closely losing another. He landed more effective combinations with way more frequency than Belcher did.

I think Akiyama may have his hands full with either Bisping or Silva, two former light heavyweights. On talent alone I'd pick Akiyama to win, but his size may make it difficult for him to implement much of his skills, and I think that that fight in particular may be the impetus for him to move down to 170 in the States.

In a Sex-off, he KOs both in the first ten seconds though.

Post #10   2/10/10 5:32:34PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Chips:
In a Sex-off, Akiyama could crumble Mt. Olympus in ten seconds.

Personally i dont think akiyama is all that small of a MW, sure he's 5'11" but he has a wide frame and bulk. If you compare him to GSP(Around 190) Hes bulkier everywhere with a similar frame plus a couple inches of height.

a 76" reach at 185 isnt bad either, its larger than Bisping and Wanderlei's reach. And im not sure either has the striking on the outside that Belcher does.

Last edited 2/10/10 5:51PM server time by pookie
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #11   2/10/10 5:49:48PM