Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Matt Serra

Print  
Posted By Message

chickmagnet

MMA Sensei

chickmagnet Avatar

Career:529-344
Camp: The Pit
Chips:
Im curious to see where he now stands at 170. Ive always been a big Matt Serra fan since the TUF 4 show. In the welterweight Division I think hes more of a threat than ppl realize. He has some very interesting Matchups. I would like to see him in fights with these guys:

Paulo Thiago
Mike Swick
Amir Saddolah
Matt Hughes rematch
Dong Hyun Kim
Diego Sanchez(now that he's at WW)
Nate Diaz(now that he's at WW)

I think he could do very well against all of these guys if not beat them. They are definitely contenders. I thought the Hughes fight was very close, I wouldnt have been surprised if he got the nod.

Thoughts

Post #1   2/8/10 9:00:42PM   

CwB

MMA Sensei

CwB Avatar

Career:221-151
Chips:
Well I might just be the exact opposite of you, because I am a huge Serra Anti-Fan.
Out of the fighters from your list I see almost guaranteed losses and toss-ups but no definite wins for Serra

Serra Loses to
-P.Thiago
-Sanchez
-Hughes(Biased as I am a big Hughes fan)

Toss-ups
-Swick (I think Swick wins)
-Saddolah (could pick em apart but Serra could land that KO)
-Kim (is he still in the UFC, cant remember.)

And I will hold off judgement on Diaz until I see him fight at 170.

I would love to see Serra vs Swick though...

Post #2   2/8/10 9:25:28PM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:
I still have him out of the top 10 until he starts fighting more then once a year. Too inconsistent but he has huge power so it's always exciting to watch him blitz. But out of your match ups I see..

Paulo Thiago- Thiago 2nd round KO or decision. Thiago has really good boxing, or just really sick counters. I think he'd eventually catch Serra unless Serra is smart and takes him down and grinds him out.

Mike Swick- Toss up because neither's boxing is really techically that good IMO since neither of them really throw jabs, just blitz. It really hurts Swick since he's so tall and should use his height but he doesn't so it hurts him so Serra could easily hit him first and knock him out.

Amir Saddolah- Tough one to call because Amir is still green because one minute his chin doesn't hold up against hendricks for under a minute, then next thing you know he's outstriking Baroni & Blackburn which surprised me. I think he could outpoint Serra but a Serra KO wouldn't suprise me either.

Matt Hughes rematch- The more inconsistent & inactive Hughes is, I give Serra more and more of a chance especially since he seems like he actually wants to keep fighting now. I think in a rematch Serra retires him witha KO.

Dong Hyun Kim- Tough one, I'd say split decision result for either.

Diego Sanchez(now that he's at WW)- Diego would just outwork him IMO.

Nate Diaz(now that he's at WW)- Tough one, need to see Diaz's chin at 170 and see if he'll use that height to outbox Serra, on the ground Diaz BJJ I think is better for MMA but Serra could always grind him out.

Serra's really really hard to call at 170. Alot of interesting match up's that could go either way. Definitely think he could KO Hardy. I think he could possibly make it back to the top 10 but as sad as it is I don't think he'll crack top 5 ever again.

Post #3   2/8/10 9:40:45PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,460-1,306
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
call me crazy but i am guessing that he will fight phil baroni next!!!!!!!!!!!

Post #4   2/8/10 11:54:19PM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
That is the fight that makes the most sense to me for Matt. Its would be a guy that he could handle. One of the shorter guys at 170. i mean what if he were to fight Ben Saunders.......5'6" vs 6'5". it is a good match up for Serraz. He could see how he fares standing with Baroni and if he is takeing the brunt of it, he could take him down and sub him.

Last edited 2/10/10 6:44PM server time by BustedKnuckle
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #5   2/10/10 6:44:25PM