Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

The Current State of the Gracie's: Name bigger than skill?

Print  
Are the Gracie's as good as their name dictates?
Yes, they are the Gracie's after all 7 19%
No, their time has passed and their last name is carrying them 22 61%
Grey Area (explain your stance) 7 19%
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:
Roger is 2-0 in MMA, that's it. I don't think anyone can say that Roger is a top MMA fighter with that record against the guys he's fought. And it terms of MMA, Rickson can hardly lay claim to being the best at anything with the guys he fought.

Roger is a great BJJ practitioner, and Rickson was apparently amazing at challenge matches outside of the sport fighting like MMA, but neither has bragging rights to what they have accomplished in MMA.

The most successful Gracie I have seen in MMA is Renzo, and that's because the guy knows that MMA isn't BJJ. Once Gracies start thinking like MMA fighters (like Renzo), as opposed to legacy hunters, I think they'll start making progress in MMA again.

Post #16   2/9/10 5:04:27PM   

RhythmAndStyle

Straight Flexin'

RhythmAndStyle Avatar

Career:3,924-2,397
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
their time has past..the only reason they get to fight in big name org. is cause of they're last name..but half of these gracie aren't where they once were..i'm not sure maybe it's cause alot of mma fighters know b.j.j. and are able to defend submission attempts..but i just don't see the gracie where they once were..they kinda fell off the map to me..as of recent they haven't lived up to their skills..imo i'll take alexandre ribeiro over any gracie in mma right now...

Last edited 2/10/10 2:13PM server time by rhythmandstyle
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #17   2/9/10 5:29:00PM   

EvenFlow

banned

EvenFlow Avatar

Career:432-232
Chips:
Roger Gracie is arguably the best grappler in the world, if he dedicated himself 100% to MMA I'm confident he could make a serious impact in the sport as could Kyra Gracie with that same attitude of evolving and not acting like another Royce and Rolles where they just wanna try it thinking thier style is the only style for the sport when its been proven time again that you need it all.

Post #18   2/9/10 7:37:51PM   

MMAPump

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-
Chips:
I agree with what some other people have said. I think the Gracie's are still excellent BJJ practitioners, but in terms of their overall MMA abilities, most other fighters have surpassed them.

Post #19   2/10/10 1:58:10PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2