Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Couture A Contender At Light Heavyweight

Print  
  Page 1 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

RhythmAndStyle

MMA Sensei

RhythmAndStyle Avatar

Career:2,336-1,398
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
“I personally think this guy is one of the best light heavyweights in the world. He’s in the mix,” UFC president Dana White told the media at the UFC 109 post-fight press conference. “He’s in the mix with the top five guys who can fight any of those guys at any time. It’s just going to be a matter of timing now.”

Link

Post #1   2/8/10 2:27:00PM   

Hendo67

MMA Sensei

Hendo67 Avatar

Career:1,066-730
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:
I completely disagree, i think he'd get absolutely wrecked by the top fighters at 205.
His chin is questionable and his stand up isn't as good as everyone makes it out to be. He beat Brandon Vera by holding onto him for 12/15 mins, when they were standing Vera was tagging him with kicks and punches.
He just beat Coleman, so what? Coleman looked crippled in the walk in, he was standing flat footed the entire fight with his hands down.

I don't think Couture is going to contend for that title.

Post #2   2/8/10 2:40:13PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,848-1,057
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
That makes sense... Dana says Coleman no longer belongs in the UFC but because Randy beat him he is a title contender

Post #3   2/8/10 2:43:54PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,214-788
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:
yea i disagree.

randy is good ill give him that.but he isnt contender good.

Post #4   2/8/10 2:56:03PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,690-1,487
Chips:
I have to agree with everyone here. I haven't read the article yet, but I'd say he needs to beat a top guy in his next fight before considering giving him a shot.

Post #5   2/8/10 3:08:41PM   

McBee

In Full Mount

McBee Avatar

Career:815-456
Chips:
just some ego stroking for a still major pull for the UFC, that is not saying I would not like to see his strategy against some of the top fighters. Like someone above said my only concern was the Brandon Vera fight, the Nogueria fight was awesome even though he was getting the crap kicked out of him, just because he will not win the fight does not mean I would not want to see the fight

Post #6   2/8/10 3:29:32PM   

Jride

Standup Guy

Jride Avatar

Career:864-583
Chips:

Posted by ncordless

That makes sense... Dana says Coleman no longer belongs in the UFC but because Randy beat him he is a title contender

Thats what im saying.

Thats like Nate Quarry being top 5 for beating Kalib Starnes.

Post #7   2/8/10 3:51:44PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:
Brandon Vera cripples Randy twice in a fight that was largely neutral in the clinch aside from small punches here and there and Randy some how got the decision. Then, to make him look good the UFC makes a big deal out of Coleman, who we all know is old and irrelevant. Then Randy beats him up and now he's a top guy, bullshit.

Name a guy in the top 8 who WOULDN'T beat Randy.

The UFC is as political as it gets now. Shogun Machida 2 was the first of several large moves to the way of boxing, and these substandard ppv's were another. Now they're trying to hype the old legends like they aren't just there to bring in viewers.

Post #8   2/8/10 3:56:54PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Jride

Posted by ncordless

Thats what im saying.

Thats like Nate Quarry being top 5 for beating Kalib Starnes.

I know what you're saying, but that analogy is a bit of a stretch. Couture's a former champ in the weight class, won his last two, with one against a top 15...doesn't quite put him at the top, but doesn't compare with beating the Running Man. The comment was funny though...I'll give ya that.

Post #9   2/8/10 3:59:38PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by seanfu

Name a guy in the top 8 who WOULDN'T beat Randy.

Let me start off by saying that Randy's age is definitely catching up with him, but there are still some good style matchups for him in the top 10 at 205.

Rashad Evans - I'd give Randy better than 50/50 in that fight

Forrest Griffin - I don't see the fight happening, but that fight is tailored for Randy

Thiago Silva - outside of a puncher's chance, Randy takes it

Rich Franklin - assuming you include him in the 205 bracket, as well as the top 10, another good matchup

Edit: and TBH, anyone that he can keep in the clinch or on their back, he has really good odds of beating.

Last edited 2/8/10 4:28PM server time by grappler0000
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #10   2/8/10 4:04:05PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:
stylistically i'd say he is in title contention. he's strong @ 205 and when he can control where the fight goes he's really good. he tends to recover quickly when rocked and he's got great sub defense it's all in who he's matched up against and how solid his "game plan" is and whether he'd able to stick with it and "impose his will."

nothing would shock me either way w/Randy at this point.

I'm really curious about Jones & Brandon Vera. If Jon beats Brandon then Jon would be a great test to see where Randy really stands because he's certainly a skilled young fighter on the come up. It almost seems mean to have Randy fight a guy like that but I think it'd be a great indication of whether or not Randy is in title contention....if not, it gets Jones some serious attention from the average fan.

Post #11   2/8/10 4:06:52PM   

marcoDGK

Standup Guy

marcoDGK Avatar

Career:317-259
Camp: DGK
Chips:
Not to be totally out of left field BUT...

if he isn't a contender at LHW why did everyone give Lesnar so much credit for beating him in HW?

Post #12   2/8/10 4:18:02PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by marcoDGK

Not to be totally out of left field BUT...

if he isn't a contender at LHW why did everyone give Lesnar so much credit for beating him in HW?

It's skill/ability vs record/accomplishments. Although he probably still has the ability to compete at the top level, you still need to climb the ladder to deserve to be there. Being a former champ bumps him up a couple of extra rungs, but I don't think that beating Coleman and Vera necessarily put's him close enough to the top.

I guess just using the word contender is fair, but I wouldn't say top contender or use contender in the sense that he's next in line.

Last edited 2/8/10 4:24PM server time by grappler0000
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #13   2/8/10 4:24:01PM   

Hendo67

MMA Sensei

Hendo67 Avatar

Career:1,066-730
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:
I think Rich would KO Randy
I think Rashad would KO Randy
I think Rampage would KO Randy
I think Jon Jones would maul Randy
I think Shogun would KO Randy
I think Machida would KO Randy

That's six right there and i'm sure there's a few others out there.

Post #14   2/8/10 4:30:53PM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:

Posted by Hendo67

I completely disagree, i think he'd get absolutely wrecked by the top fighters at 205.
His chin is questionable and his stand up isn't as good as everyone makes it out to be. He beat Brandon Vera by holding onto him for 12/15 mins, when they were standing Vera was tagging him with kicks and punches.
He just beat Coleman, so what? Coleman looked crippled in the walk in, he was standing flat footed the entire fight with his hands down.

I don't think Couture is going to contend for that title.

I agree which is why in a thread in the UFC section I said I have no idea where to put him in the top 10. I barely have him at #9 over Gegard just because is still very untested IMO since his biggest win is only babalu who's tough but just outside the top 10. I have him under Thiago Silva just because Thiago KO'd Jardine who outpointed Vera who Randy barely beat. I know using MMA math is wrong but I just don't know where to put him after beating an inconsistent Vera who dropped and was beating randy whenever they weren't clinching, and a 40 year old coleman.

I think if he fights anybody in the top 5, he'll get KO'd by Machida, Shogun, Rampage, Rashad, and Lil Nog just because i think when he gets hit he'll get dropped. Not to mention Shogun's just a killer and would probably maul him, and the rest of the top 5 are really good counterpunchers who would catch him coming in. I think he could beat anybody else though like Forrest, Thiago, Tito, Hendo(even though he's absent at the moment) but besides Thiago's punchers chance, I like his chances against anybody after the top 5. I definitely think he needs to fight a top 5 guy before he gets a title shot though. Because if he can't beat Lil Nog, Rampage, or Rashad, I don't see him beating Shogun or Machida.

Post #15   2/8/10 4:37:10PM   

Page 1 of 4     1     2     3     4