Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Chael Sonnen Upsets Marquadt At UFC 109

Print  
  Page 2 of 3     1     2     3  
Posted By Message

State_Champ

"I love you, my bitches!"

State_Champ Avatar

Career:2,278-1,416
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by tmas

i dont see how Sonnen deserves a title shot ok yea he beat the guy i consider the #1 contender, but he also lost to the #2.

lets look at MW div

Silva Champ
Vitor Title shot

contenders
Sonnen beat Nate, lost to Maia
Marquardt beat Maia lost to Sonnen
Maia beat Sonnen lost to Marquardt

i remember when LHW was a mess like this.

Maia didn't look too impressive in his last fight (and against a guy who isn't even a top contender at 185) but Chael absolutely dominated the 185lbs #1 contender....and Chael dominated Okami right before that.
Chael earned a title fight in my opinion.

Ad: FanDuel launches Mixup daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #16   2/7/10 3:12:07PM   

icantthinkofanything

MMA Sensei

icantthinkofanything Avatar

Career:923-654
Camp: 360 Mafia
Chips:
GSP has always been a contender to Silva imo. The talk has gone on for over a year. Since GSP is talking about gaining weight recently, its more realistic now than ever. Furthermore Maia beat Chael, Nate beat Maia. Soares is gonna start up about Chael not deserving it, and GSP silva no one would complain about. GSP silva would be the biggest ppv in mma history imo, and why not now, it's perfect timing imo

Post #17   2/7/10 3:19:30PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:865-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:
fight went just like i expected. too bad I wasn't so accurate on the other match ups props to Chael

Post #18   2/7/10 4:13:59PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:3,421-2,434
Chips:
Sonnen's win was no surprise to me. I figured he would maul him for most of the fight...and he did. I think Sonnen has a good chance to beat Silva (if he even faces Silva..Chael could be facing Belfort). I think Chael will be able to take Anderson down. Silva is pretty tricky on the ground though...he may be able to catch Chael with something.

Post #19   2/7/10 4:53:42PM   

noahgenda

Standup Guy

noahgenda Avatar

Career:315-179
Chips:
if dan hardy got a shot at gsp sonnen deserves one at silva, tho i dont see either as having much of a chance. i think if it went 5 rounds marquardt may have pulled it off

Last edited 2/7/10 5:01PM server time by noahgenda
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #20   2/7/10 5:00:52PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:

Posted by BigBadAl

Posted by Wallass

Chael was extremely imressive here and if he's going to try that wrestling with Anderson then we may have a new Middleweight champion!

Sonnen's weakness is submissions. If he tries that with Anderson he will get subbed.

Chael has great abilities, but if someone was slick off their back they could catch him. i was very impressed with Chael, i think he is deserving of some serious recognition but i want him to sure up his submission defense. If he does, he will be an even more dangerous threat at MW.

Post #21   2/7/10 5:26:02PM   

Giant_Ochai

BANNED

Career:433-278
Chips:
That wasn't an upset to anyone who can analyze MMA objectively.

Post #22   2/7/10 5:26:56PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,462-806
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I think Chael looked better than he ever has but still this was a case of Marquadt not having much to offer off his back. The other problem I have is even with Nate's poor performance He was still able to catch Chael with some hard shots. If Nate was able to land some shots think what Anderson could do. Now don't get me wrong Chael is a top 10 but just 3 fights and 1 year ago he was subbed in less than 3 min's. He has yet to face anyone with really strong skills off their back since then. So I don't think he is ready for Anderson yet and still needs some time to grow.

Post #23   2/7/10 5:39:49PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Career:472-317
Camp: Journalistas
Chips:

Posted by Giant_Ochai

We can't all be as smart as you.

Post #24   2/7/10 5:51:27PM   

scoozna

10 Year Service Award Winner

scoozna Avatar

Career:2,944-1,713
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
If you think Chael's interviews are funny, here is a post-fight interview with Ariel Halwani: via Lowkick.com

Post #25   2/7/10 6:00:28PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,953-1,167
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:

Posted by isk

I was very surprised by this outcome. All credit to Sonnen for executing a strong wrestling game.

I think the issue with Marquardt is a lack of focus; he sometimes comes into matches with a bad gameplan and/or just doesn't use all of his tools. There's no reason he should've let Sonnen take him down that often.

Moving forward, I think Marquardt should fight someone like Alan Belcher. Both are big middleweights with emerging striking games.

As for Sonnen, I think if he fights Anderson it'll be a lot like the Henderson/Silva fight. It might take a round for Anderson to find his rhythm, so I see Sonnen working a couple takedowns and some decent ground control. Eventually though I see Anderson picking him apart on the feet and locking in a RNC.

I don't know why everyone was so shocked by this. I had Marquardt winning too, but Chael is a really tough top level wrestler with good ground and pound. He has the potential to beat anyone.

He absolutely deserves the title shot next. Can anyone point to someone who deserves it more? He might actually have a legit shot at beating Anderson. Though that doesn't mean I'd even consider picking him. Anderson would probably take over later in the fight after spending some time on his back. Probably for a TKO or a Sub set up by a knockdown.

And like someone said, Nate could have won if it was five rounds, but it wasn't.

I don't think Nate vs Belcher makes any sense. It doesn't prove anything for Marquardt. He needs to fight another dominant wrestler. When your weaknesses are exposed you should work to fix them and then try to prove that you've done so.

Ad: FanDuel launches Mixup daily fantasy sports for casual fans

Post #26   2/7/10 6:15:09PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:757-423
Chips:

Posted by Giant_Ochai

Says the guy who picked nate to win via sub rd 1. Your Pick History in case you forgot Nostradamus

Post #27   2/7/10 6:17:28PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Career:472-317
Camp: Journalistas
Chips:

Posted by postman

Posted by Giant_Ochai

Says the guy who picked nate to win via sub rd 1. Your Pick History in case you forgot Nostradamus

I take back my previous remark. Giant Ochai was just as wrong as I was.

Last edited 2/7/10 6:31PM server time by RyanC

Post #28   2/7/10 6:29:23PM   

xdanish020

Fight Chemist

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:4,853-2,707
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
As impressive as the victory was, Chael only really has one way to win a fight and that's by grinding out a decision. It's one thing to do it for 3 rounds, but it's a whole different ballgame when it's 5 rounds. I don't think he'll be able to control Anderson on top like he did Nate, if that fight were to happen.

I also think Nate had a really bad gameplan and maybe TKOing Sonnen got into his head a little too much and he wasn't cautious enough about Chael's wrestling abilities.

Regardless, I pretty much despise Chael Sonnen, so take my comments with a grain of salt. I hope he gets his wish of fighting Anderson, so Anderson can pummel him from the bottom with those vicious elbows.

Post #29   2/7/10 10:45:28PM   

xdanish020

Fight Chemist

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:4,853-2,707
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Giant_Ochai

ya...I guess being 19-11 this season makes you some kind of MMA god. lolol

Last edited 2/7/10 10:48PM server time by xdanish020

Post #30   2/7/10 10:46:33PM   

Page 2 of 3     1     2     3