Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Danzig And Guillard Look Rejuvenated At UFC 109

Print  
  Page 2 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Career:472-317
Camp: Journalistas
Chips:

Posted by karn501
I wasn't saying torres won I'm saying every td (in the first this is true)was easily defensible but guillard just let them happen it seemed like

I realize that. I was addressing some of the other comments as well. I couldn't believe how easily Melvin got brought to the mat in the first either especially since he's a good wrestler. After that I thought he did a good job of stuffing the takedowns.

Post #16   2/7/10 2:37:32PM   

EvenFlow

banned

EvenFlow Avatar

Career:432-232
Chips:
What a shock everyone who was impressed with Melvin picked him lol. Torres had been on a year and a half layoff from a knee injury, it wouldnt even be close had he fought a few months before that.

How anyone gave Melvin round 1 or 3 is completely shocking to hear, but not really since they picked Melvin

Post #17   2/7/10 2:43:01PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by EvenFlow

What a shock everyone who was impressed with Melvin picked him lol. Torres had been on a year and a half layoff from a knee injury, it wouldnt even be close had he fought a few months before that.

How anyone gave Melvin round 1 or 3 is completely shocking to hear, but not really since they picked Melvin

I had Torres taking 1 and 3 also. That being said I also picked Torres and had him in my Parley. I really like how Melvin was making faces when Torres was on top of him.....Do something about it. That last reversal was to me more Torres trying to get a big slam in the last 10 sec. None of those punches connected less impressive to me then keeping a bigger guy with good wrestling on the mat but I'm not a judge.

Post #18   2/7/10 2:57:34PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Career:472-317
Camp: Journalistas
Chips:

Posted by EvenFlow

I had Torres in my picks till the day of the fight, and the only reason I switched is because of the knee injury you mentioned. That said the injury didn't look like it affected Torres too much. He looked to be in great shape. I'm looking forward to seeing more of him.

I really thought Melvin did a nice job with his striking. His submission defense and ability to recover from takedowns is something that he hasn't shown before. Normally Melvin goes to the mat and it's the beginning of the end, sometimes even when he's in a dominant position. He showed some improvements last night.

I actually thought Guillard was getting whipped right out of the gates. The first round was completely lopsided for Torres, and the third was really pretty even, but the flurry by Guillard at the end I think scored big with the judges. If Torres hand had been raised it wouldn't have surprised me one bit, but I don't think Guillard got the gift some people think he did. He fought a nice fight.

Last edited 2/7/10 3:35PM server time by RyanC
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #19   2/7/10 3:32:31PM   

noahgenda

Standup Guy

noahgenda Avatar

Career:315-179
Chips:
i was impressed by torres and and actually thought he won, but i was happy melvins hand was raised because im a fan of his

Post #20   2/7/10 5:09:09PM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:
its funny to me how people complain about how people win by doing nothing but take downs, yet when it doesnt happen people disagree with the decision. i felt that Melvin won that fight, he didn't take any damage off his back, he reversed position and did more damage on the feet. the last flurry of GnP in the last round won it for him imo, as it was the most significant happening in the fight.

Post #21   2/7/10 5:22:39PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,550-903
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Danzig didn't look good at all.
AND
Torres should have won that fight. Judges suck. I think if it wasn't for the lay off and injury it wouldn't even have been close. Torres gassed and that's the only reason Melvin was able to stop his take downs. Before he gassed he was mauling Melvin.

Post #22   2/7/10 6:22:16PM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:

Posted by EvenFlow

Ok let's just give everyone the round when they get top position in a scramble (not a true reverse imo) and he get a few punches in after losing the rest of the round, lol, there was clearly bias in that fight just like the Tibau fight.

How was that a scramble? Torres was in the process of slamming him and Melvin flipped him over so IMO that's definitely a reversal. I'm not a championship caliber wrestler so idk but I think that was a reversal. And it was definitely a very very close fight. If I was a judge I would have given it too Torres too but I can see where the judges gave it to Melvin. Torres did get takedowns but Melvin kept getting right back up and Torres did no damage. So when Melvin reverses a slam and gets the most dominant position on the ground and starts doing some damage for 10 seconds I can see how that stole the round.

Torres looked pretty good too atleast wrestling wise. He made it extremely difficult for Melvin to get back up, especially by trapping Melvins one leg when he got him down. Don't think I've seen that before. Torres will be back though. probably even better too since he won't be coming off such a long layoff and any nerves he could have had from his debut are gone now.

Post #23   2/7/10 7:45:56PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,478-1,317
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
danzig didn't impress me at all!!

Post #24   2/7/10 10:32:21PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:
guess i need to watch it again. I remember thinking it was a clear victory for Melvin but I don't remember the fight step by step...Melvin looked really good to me and at least twice used his hips in a way that you rarely see done to end up on top when he was being slammed.

danzig...no thoughts. He's one fighter who's personality actually makes me not really care one way or the other.

Post #25   2/8/10 12:21:45PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,310-1,223
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

its funny to me how people complain about how people win by doing nothing but take downs, yet when it doesnt happen people disagree with the decision. i felt that Melvin won that fight, he didn't take any damage off his back, he reversed position and did more damage on the feet. the last flurry of GnP in the last round won it for him imo, as it was the most significant happening in the fight.

+1

Post #26   2/8/10 12:25:04PM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:2,460-1,335
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by Naturaldisaster

I thought Melvin won round 1, torres won round 2 and torres was winning the 3 round but you gotta fight till the bell rings and melvin got the mount and tried to finish the fight with like 10 seconds left. and IMO that stole the round

Ok let's just give everyone the round when they get top position in a scramble (not a true reverse imo) and he get a few punches in after losing the rest of the round, lol, there was clearly bias in that fight just like the Tibau fight.

Melvin did nothing drastic in the fight either, lol....so you either take the guy on top "who gets a few punches in" or the guy on bottom who is surviving to not lose.

Edit - I read this wrong, I thought Torres won rounds 1 and 3 and should have won the decision. Not a robbery by any means but definitely not a UD for Melvin either, split if anything.

Last edited 2/8/10 1:09PM server time by xdanish020
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #27   2/8/10 1:07:42PM   

Page 2 of 2     1     2