Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Danzig And Guillard Look Rejuvenated At UFC 109

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

RhythmAndStyle

MMA Sensei

RhythmAndStyle Avatar

Career:2,537-1,517
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
The UFC 109 prelims did not disappoint with Mac Danzig, who was seemingly fighting for his UFC career on Saturday night, and it paid off as he performed with a rejuvenated spirit, while Melvin Guillard carried the spirit of New Orleans with him getting the victory over Ronys Torres.

Link

Post #1   2/7/10 10:40:27AM   

Wallass

MMA Sensei

Wallass Avatar

Career:2,451-1,459
Camp: Canada's Finest
Chips:
Not too fighter bash or anything but I found these two scraps to be fairly boring. In my opinion Torres took that fight and Buchholz was very close.

Post #2   2/7/10 10:50:25AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
I was impressed with Guillard when he was put on his back and wouldnt rush to get up or just ly there. He would patiently wait for his opportunity to work his way up.

As for Danzig, its like ok what is next. He kept his job but its like he has already lost to the more of the top guys at 155 so does he just face lower guys or try to face a higher guy again.

Post #3   2/7/10 11:09:44AM   

emfleek

- > THUG LIFE < -

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,386-1,258
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Danzig didn't exactly look rejuvenated, in my opinion.

I was hoping for a double KO in that fight. It was like watching 2 monkeys f*ck a football.

Post #4   2/7/10 11:50:10AM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Career:472-317
Camp: Journalistas
Chips:
I thought Melvin looked pretty good. Jackson looks to be doing wonders on fine tuning his striking and coming up with a gameplan. Melvin has always been a good striker with a lot of power, but he gets kind of wild at times, and that has gotten him in trouble. He looked crisp and in control last night. His submission defense seems to be improving greatly, and he looked much more comfortable on his back. After the first round he pretty much stuffed all the takedowns, and he found a home for his jab the whole fight.

A lot of people don't like Melvin, including the friends I watched the fight with last night, but I've always liked to watch him fight, and I'm hoping the move to Jackson's camp turns him into a monster.

Post #5   2/7/10 11:59:42AM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:2,644-1,421
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Wallass

Not too fighter bash or anything but I found these two scraps to be fairly boring. In my opinion Torres took that fight and Buchholz was very close.

I thought Torres won too but it was a close fight nonetheless.

Post #6   2/7/10 12:45:50PM   

Naturaldisaster

MMA Sensei

Naturaldisaster Avatar

Career:703-452
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:
I thought danzig looked like crap. theres no reason he should have had such a tough fight with a C level fighter at best in buchholz. i think danzig needs to find somewhere else to fight cuz he doesnt have the talent to be in the ufc nor do i even care to see him fight

Post #7   2/7/10 1:28:44PM   

Naturaldisaster

MMA Sensei

Naturaldisaster Avatar

Chips:
best part of the guillard fight was rogans commentary lol

Post #8   2/7/10 1:29:42PM   

EvenFlow

banned

EvenFlow Avatar

Career:432-232
Chips:
Danzig barely won and Guillard got another gift, lmao at rejuvenated, I almost wanna call shenanigans on someone for the gifts Melvins been getting lately.

Post #9   2/7/10 1:44:03PM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:
^ The ice commentary was HILARIOUS haha

I definitely think Guillard looked great in this fight. It was very close, Torres definitely could have won, but it was a pretty good fight. Melvin looked loose, relaxed and alot more patient. I think with Jackson in his corner he;s going to be a freakin beast. I cant wait to watch him fight again.

I liked the Danzig fight. What do you really expect? MMA is getting more and more competitive like its getting more and more about gameplans. Justin trains with Faber so they did well on working on how Justin dealt with Danzigs strengths because they made him look bad. Sometimes when 2 guys are totally prepared, either one can make the other look bad. Styles make fights. I thought the fight was pretty good though. They went at it in the stand up in the 1st, and they were active on the ground the whole time. And thats all you can really ask for. Danzigs 2nd round sweep was badass. Once it hit the ground Danzig owned Justin.

Post #10   2/7/10 1:45:58PM   

Naturaldisaster

MMA Sensei

Naturaldisaster Avatar

Chips:
I thought Melvin won round 1, torres won round 2 and torres was winning the 3 round but you gotta fight till the bell rings and melvin got the mount and tried to finish the fight with like 10 seconds left. and IMO that stole the round

Post #11   2/7/10 1:59:01PM   

karn501

In Full Mount

karn501 Avatar

Career:134-103
Chips:
danzig looked like crap in that fight and the guillard fight was good but melvins td defense looked horrible it was like he wasn't even trying not to get taken down he did good getting back up but why not try to stop it from getting there in the first place

Post #12   2/7/10 2:11:07PM   

EvenFlow

banned

EvenFlow Avatar

Career:432-232
Chips:

Posted by Naturaldisaster

I thought Melvin won round 1, torres won round 2 and torres was winning the 3 round but you gotta fight till the bell rings and melvin got the mount and tried to finish the fight with like 10 seconds left. and IMO that stole the round

Ok let's just give everyone the round when they get top position in a scramble (not a true reverse imo) and he get a few punches in after losing the rest of the round, lol, there was clearly bias in that fight just like the Tibau fight.

Post #13   2/7/10 2:18:25PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Career:472-317
Camp: Journalistas
Chips:

Posted by karn501

the guillard fight was good but melvins td defense looked horrible it was like he wasn't even trying not to get taken down he did good getting back up but why not try to stop it from getting there in the first place

I don't think Guillard got taken down once after the first round. I'm not certain of that, but he sprawled nicely on several takedown attempts during Rd 2 & 3. Torres looked downright feeble on a few attempts.

I think it was a close fight, but the only round I thought Torres definitely won was Rd 1. Guillard landed a lot more punches throughout the fight, and I'm sure he scored points with some kicks. Rd 3 was a tossup IMO until the last 10 seconds or so when Guillard had the mount and landed the GnP. I think that won him the round.

I think Torres could have won this fight, but I was expecting to see Guillards hand to be raised in the end.

Post #14   2/7/10 2:22:58PM   

karn501

In Full Mount

karn501 Avatar

Career:134-103
Chips:

Posted by RyanC

Posted by karn501

the guillard fight was good but melvins td defense looked horrible it was like he wasn't even trying not to get taken down he did good getting back up but why not try to stop it from getting there in the first place

I don't think Guillard got taken down once after the first round. I'm not certain of that, but he sprawled nicely on several takedown attempts during Rd 2 & 3. Torres looked downright feeble on a few attempts.

I think it was a close fight, but the only round I thought Torres definitely won was Rd 1. Guillard landed a lot more punches throughout the fight, and I'm sure he scored points with some kicks. Rd 3 was a tossup IMO until the last 10 seconds or so when Guillard had the mount and landed the GnP. I think that won him the round.

I think Torres could have won this fight, but I was expecting to see Guillards hand to be raised in the end.

I wasn't saying torres won I'm saying every td (in the first this is true)was easily defensible but guillard just let them happen it seemed like

Post #15   2/7/10 2:26:34PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2