Today's Topics Unanswered Topics Avatar Bets Search PM's My Props Member Directory Premium Members Recent Polls Subscriptions Rules

Sponsors

I think Mike Swick should move back up

Page 1 of 2     1     2  
I think Mike Swick should move back up
Posted By Message

NatedawgThaM
MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar
Career record: 343-224
Season: 0-0 (#-)
Bankroll: $1,000
2901 posts
Joined 6/07
Who cares if you lost too Yushin Okami. He is an elite middleweight, or was before the Chael fight, and as good as Chael looked 2nite Okami don't look half as bad, and still who cares if you lost to Okami. It was by LNP, but who else in the division besides Okami & Chael are going grind you?

I always thought his drop was dumb IMHO. He lost his speed advantage, he just looks awkward and drained and tentative. Really hasn't had a great performance except Jason Goutlet and the 2nd round of the Saunders fight. other then that he just doesn't look that great at welterweight. I think if he moved up he would have a better chance in a strikers/grappler division where he's faster and with his power, the quicker he lands...the better.

Also Kos & Fitch are at WW so now it's one less AKA guy there so now he has an endless supply of great matches that are all possible at MW. I'd love to see him take on Maia, Miller, Dollaway, Gerald Harris, Leban rematch, Aaron simpson, Tom Lawlor, pretty much any MW and I think he has a good shot against all of him. I never was a fan of him at WW but I think he'd do much better at MW and be a lot more exciting. That's just my opinion. What do ya'll think?

Post #1   2/7/10 12:54:19AM   

MiniMan
Standup Guy

MiniMan Avatar
Career record: 38-27
301 posts
Joined 8/09
I have always wanted to see The Leben rematch. So I agree, Is there a video of the first fight?? I havent looked, Just curious.

Post #2   2/7/10 12:57:17AM   

AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
BANNED

AnDeRsonDaSiLvA Avatar

Career record: 309-146
1311 posts
Joined 1/08
1) please actually watch the yushin vs swick fight before you call it lay n pray . Yushin landed about 200 elbows from the mount in the second round alone .

2) its jonathan goulet

3) Swick fought in the ufc's middleweight division at a time when it was very weak , look at the people he beat ...

Alex Schoenauer
Gideon Ray
Steve Vigneault
Joe Riggs
David Loiseau

None of these guys fight in the UFC anymore for a reason .

Maia, Miller, Dollaway, Gerald Harris , Aaron simpson Tom Lawlor and leben(again) would all beat him easily .

Last edited 2/7/10 4:03AM by andersondasilva
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   2/7/10 4:01:10AM   

sbulldavid
Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career record: 1057-622
Season: 31-20 (#660)
Bankroll: $2,175 (#576)
3408 posts
Joined 3/08
I think a move to 185 might be good for him, he's not going to get a title shot now, at least not without going through his teammates. I'm glad to see the swagger taken from Swick. I just don't think he's that good, he's a solid fighter in a division with lots of depth and few dominant fighters.

Post #4   2/7/10 7:22:24AM   

prozacnation1978
Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career record: 1232-646
Season: 32-20 (#132)
Bankroll: $2,887 (#195)
11581 posts
Joined 7/07
paulo thiago surprised me last night
and swick should have went after him more

Post #5   2/7/10 8:41:02AM   

BustedKnuckle
MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career record: 615-352
1445 posts
Joined 9/09
I think Thiago really outed Swick in this fight. His striking was good and his BJJ is on point. I was backing Swick al;l the way, but that performance was very lackluster. Maybe a move back to MW is what he needs. Maybe the weight cut is affecting his performance more than he anticipated.

Post #6   2/7/10 10:12:53AM   

Twenty20Dollars
Heavyweight Champ

Career record: 847-533
12772 posts
Joined 6/07
I think after last night Im starting to think Swick might be overrated. But he should stay at 170 as he would be very small for 185 and have a greater chance at losing.

Post #7   2/7/10 10:56:36AM   

jae_1833
Heavyweight Champ

jae_1833 Avatar

Career record: 1138-715
Season: 33-19 (#279)
Bankroll: $4,125 (#93)
7624 posts
Joined 7/07
I hear you on the size thing but it really may be better for him, I don't know...the MW div has toughened up quite a bit in the last 2 years. But valid point about how he has looked at WW...I don't think he's getting cut soon, but if he does I think he would be a solid competitor in SF.

Post #8   2/8/10 12:28:37AM   

NatedawgThaM
MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar
2901 posts
Joined 6/07

Posted by AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

1) please actually watch the yushin vs swick fight before you call it lay n pray . Yushin landed about 200 elbows from the mount in the second round alone .

2) its jonathan goulet

3) Swick fought in the ufc's middleweight division at a time when it was very weak , look at the people he beat ...

Alex Schoenauer
Gideon Ray
Steve Vigneault
Joe Riggs
David Loiseau

None of these guys fight in the UFC anymore for a reason .

Maia, Miller, Dollaway, Gerald Harris , Aaron simpson Tom Lawlor and leben(again) would all beat him easily .

All I know is his last names Goutlet and it's not like he's a great fighter, so whatever. My bad haha But I admit I've only seen highlights of the Okami fight and didn't see a flurry of elbows and just went off what other people have said. People didn't talk highly of the fight so I didn't bother watching it. My bad again, should have known better. I'll man up and admitt it.

But still my point is he just gave up at 185 so who knows what he could do against better 185er's. Back then Okami was the man at 185, a top5 guy. Losing to him doesn't mean you should drop down, it means get better and beat him new time reguardless of who you beat or lost too. When you lose a fight I always thought you get better and get em next time. Then after a 2nd or 3rd loss in the UFC at that division you consider dropping weight. I hate when fighters just wanna drop down after one or 2 losses unless their obviously fat or short. Swick is still as tall if not taller then most middleweights with still a reach advantage. I just think he lost his speed advantage at 170 so he's just humungously(haha) taller then everybody else. But he has no jab, bad striking technique IMO and his wrestling & BJJ you still don't know how he good he is with those areas but the 170 class is fully of great grapplers and wrestlers and guys with better striking and it's shown that he can't hang with them since he I thought he lost to Burkman, lost to Hardy, lackluster fight with Saunders til the finish, only good performance was against Goutlet, enough said. So if your just freakishly tall and you don't even use it to your advantage, what's the point? At 180 atleast he's faster and can beat people to the punch. I just think he has a better chance their then at 170 where he looks drained & is just tall, and doesn't even use it since his boxing isn't that great, just has above average speed with power where at 180 I still believe he's faster since he's not as drained.

Last edited 2/8/10 1:28AM by Natedawgtham
Edit note/reason: had 205 instead of a 185
2 total post edits

Post #9   2/8/10 1:27:13AM   

codyq
BANNED

codyq Avatar
Career record: 41-34
Camp: The Pit
135 posts
Joined 1/10
Just cause swick lost to one of the best @ 170 (Thiago) and lost to an overrated Hardy, though he is fighting for the title, swick is still a threat at 170. The thing with thiago is, thiago's boxing is definitely not as good as swicks, but the guys got power behind that punch, swick is dangerous, just not the best, he would not do anything different at 185. He cant be the best with guys like Alves, KOS, Fitch, Thiago. I would like to see how he boxes against a striker like Daley, I bet Daley gets dumped on his head against KOS though LOL.

Post #10   2/8/10 1:39:54AM   

codyq
BANNED

codyq Avatar
Career record: 41-34
Camp: The Pit
135 posts
Joined 1/10

paulo thiago surprised me last night and swick should have went after him more

Paulo didn't surprise you when he T(KO)'d KOS?

Swick knew that if he went for the kill he was getting countered which he ended up getting countered anyways.

Post #11   2/8/10 1:46:53AM   

NatedawgThaM
MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar
2901 posts
Joined 6/07

Posted by codyq

Just cause swick lost to one of the best @ 170 (Thiago) and lost to an overrated Hardy, though he is fighting for the title, swick is still a threat at 170. The thing with thiago is, thiago's boxing is definitely not as good as swicks, but the guys got power behind that punch, swick is dangerous, just not the best, he would not do anything different at 185. He cant be the best with guys like Alves, KOS, Fitch, Thiago. I would like to see how he boxes against a striker like Daley, I bet Daley gets dumped on his head against KOS though LOL.

I definitely think Paulo's boxing is better then Swick's. Paulo actually jabs haha and has great counter combo's. Swick's striking is overrated IMHO, I think he's just pure speed and power, no technique. He just randomly throws a barrage of flurries and they either hit or miss. Paulo has some perfectly timed counters though with power as you saw with Kos & swick. He's a beast to be reckoned with for anybody.

But that's exactly the problem though. He won't beat any top 5 guys at 170. He'll always stay at the bottom of the top ten, especially since he disappointed by not putting Hardy away. I think he could drop Bisping and as crazy as it may sounds, he would have a good shot against Wandy since neither jab, they just throw flurries. Swicks are flurries of straight though while Wandy's are wild hooks. I think he could KO Maia and probably Miller too. I think he should just give it a shot.

Last edited 2/8/10 1:51AM by Natedawgtham
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #12   2/8/10 1:49:56AM   

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career record: 1135-613
Season: 18-14 (#1169)
Bankroll: $1,740 (#869)
2893 posts
Joined 6/07
Swick is fine at WW and is really undersized for MW. Now he still is a tough fight for almost anyone at WW and is dangerous in the stand up. I think his main problem right now is all mental. He is better than a gate keeper but not good enough to be a contender. I also think some are shocked by this loss because they underestimated Thiago's abilities. We also have to take in to account that WW is one of the most stacked weight classes in all of MMA.

Post #13   2/8/10 5:08:05PM   

TimW001
MMA Sensei

TimW001 Avatar
Career record: 514-335
1535 posts
Joined 3/07
Moving around in weight wont fix the holes in your game.

Post #14   2/8/10 6:00:57PM   

bjj1605
Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career record: 1118-664
Season: 26-16 (#925)
Bankroll: $1,001 (#1365)
3172 posts
Joined 10/07
Paulo Thiago is a a really tough guy. Just like you said losing to Okami doesn't mean you should drop weight, losing to Thiago doesn't mean you should jump weight. He fought at MW when the competition was worse than it is now, and he didn't even fight the top guys in the division then.

At WW he looks better IMO. His conditioning has never been an issue so to say he's drained from cutting is kinda silly. He still has the speed and his reach advantage is better than at MW.

I always thought his position at the top of the division was due to a lack of quality opponents and that seems to be the case.

But lets not get ahead of ourselves. A couple losses can make everyone jump ship but it's rarely as big of a deal as people make it out to be. He lost Dan Hardy. Ok, Dan is a tough guy. Not only that, Swick said he wasn't himself in that fight (I agree.) I think if they have a rematch I'll still be picking Swick. Against Thiago, I had him winning the first round. Then he got caught by a guy with good power and submitted by a guy with a BJJ blackbelt. What does he have to be ashamed of?

He should stay at WW and work on his game. He'll probably be a mainstay and a solid gatekeeper. If he really works at it maybe he'll work his way back into contention. But a move to middle weight IMO means an eventual move out of the UFC.

Post #15   2/8/10 6:34:38PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Username:

Password:

Keep me logged in