Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Re: Scoring system update poll, important!

Print  
Should the new scoring system be applied to the existing events?
(This poll is closed.)
Yes 135 61%
No 85 39%
  Page 3 of 4     1     2     3     4  
Posted By Message

Eclectic

Learning to Sprawl

Eclectic Avatar

Career:66-44
Camp: FSC Fight Club
Chips:
Did everyone forget that this season is BETA?

Expect changes to happen now and in the future, while everything gets ironed out and tested for the next season to roll out properly.

Im guessing some people are worried about the precious score for ther next bout!

Well, I voted YES, I prefer it the scoring system this way.

Eclectic

Post #31   4/17/07 5:51:54AM   

MethodMan

MMA Regular

MethodMan Avatar

Career:58-26
Camp: Kamikaze
Chips:
I read some people had droped like a hundred or two hundred places but if you think about it there was only one or two double hot picks that would account for about 20 points or so. The fact some people have droped so many places is more likly because the people who were below you probably had a better MMA knowledge and consistantly picked how a fight would end, these may not have been counted previously as they may not have guessed the round that the fight ended. So its not so much that people have lost as that others who have better knowledge of MMA fighters have gained more.

Post #32   4/17/07 9:39:38AM   

D-Boy

MMA Regular

D-Boy Avatar

Career:264-172
Chips:

Posted by MethodMan

I read some people had droped like a hundred or two hundred places but if you think about it there was only one or two double hot picks that would account for about 20 points or so. The fact some people have droped so many places is more likly because the people who were below you probably had a better MMA knowledge and consistantly picked how a fight would end, these may not have been counted previously as they may not have guessed the round that the fight ended. So its not so much that people have lost as that others who have better knowledge of MMA fighters have gained more.

Totally agree

Post #33   4/17/07 10:06:13AM   

EzFlyer

Learning to Sprawl

EzFlyer Avatar

Career:1,177-659
Chips:
certainly think this is a better system. i voted yes to apply it retroactively, but mainly i just want it to be in place from here on out, so either way i'm happy as long as we use the new one :) thx !

Post #34   4/17/07 10:18:45AM   

CWall33

MMA Regular

CWall33 Avatar

Career:413-243
Chips:

Posted by EzFlyer

certainly think this is a better system. i voted yes to apply it retroactively, but mainly i just want it to be in place from here on out, so either way i'm happy as long as we use the new one :) thx !

Contradictory and uninformed statements like this would explain why the YES vote is now leading this poll.

A YES vote to apply it retroactively, but he mainly wants it to be in place "from here on out".

Unbelievable.

I think the wording of the poll is confusing some folks.

Last edited 4/17/07 10:37AM server time by CWall33
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #35   4/17/07 10:34:25AM   

CWall33

MMA Regular

CWall33 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by MethodMan

That may in fact be true, but it doesn't excuse changing the rules for events that have already been scored. I cannot believe that anyone is OK with re-writing the rules for something that has already taken place.

On the other hand, I can see how this could be a software issue. Do I expect the owners of this site to re-write the software to apply two separate scoring systems for this season? No. But they have not weighed in on this issue yet. Is that their rationale for doing it this way? Or, as some have stated, the site is still in BETA (in which case, they should not yet be offering a $500 prize for first place.), so any and all changes are to be expected.

New rules = good.
Retro to past events = bad.
Simple as that.

Post #36   4/17/07 10:50:46AM   

Rush

Laying down the beats

Rush Avatar

Career:759-539
Chips:
Either change the scoring system after season one is finished or retroactively change all events that have finished so far. Either one of these are fine for me.

I am not for changing the scoring part way through the season without retroactively updating the scores for the previous events.

Post #37   4/17/07 11:04:32AM   

PunchingBag

Learning to Sprawl

PunchingBag Avatar

Career:246-129
Camp: Average Joe's Gymnasium
Chips:
My apologies for not having read all responses yet (as I'd hate to re-post), but I'm not exactly sure why the scoring should be changed in the first place. If somebody is saying that Fighter A is going to win by KO/TKO, why should he/she be rewarded with additional points in any case if Fighter B wins by KO/TKO? Wouldn't that just make the initial pick that much more wrong?

Personally, I wouldn't mind the old way of scoring with the exception that if a fight that you correctly choose to go to a decision does so but you have not chosen the correct winner of the bout, that some sort of consolation points might be awarded. Somehow I feel that this would be appropriate, in that anything can happen in a decision, and having selected that the fight would end in that fashion correctly shows a good amount of selection-savvy in itself, despite the selection of the winner of the bout.

I must concede however that some people might argue that I just contradicted my first point.

Anywho, thanks for taking the time to listen to those that are wanting the change... I like that those in charge are taking into concern the thoughts and opinions of the users of this site... keep up the good work.

Post #38   4/17/07 3:06:22PM   

drance2624

Learning to Sprawl

drance2624 Avatar

Career:406-238
Chips:
The fairest way to go about instituting any changes that are this huge would be a choice of 2 things:

1.)Keep the previous scoring system in place until the beginning of Season 2

or

2.)Institute the changes and start using the new rules from UFC 70 onwards without affecting the previous events' scores. (MY CHOICE)

Please, think about it, how the heck are you changing everyone's scores in the middle of the game.

Here's an analogy for this:

It's the Superbowl, 1 team has 3 field goals for a total of 9 points and the other has 2 touchdowns (and extra point) for a total of 14 points. In the 3rd quarter the NFL decides field goals are now worth 5 points and the scores change from 14-9 to 14-15. Who really wins?

Anyone who's rankings have gone up will be happy, and anyone who's rankings have gone down will be unhappy.

Therefore the best thing to do, would be to leave things alone that have already occurred and institute any changes that you deem necessary from here on out.

Post #39   4/17/07 3:29:18PM   

Trapt1nw0nder

BANNED

Career:473-286
Chips:
Meh!...i dont care.....im just here for the forums

Image Attachment(s):

Photo Attachment 1

Post #40   4/17/07 6:59:37PM   

drance2624

Learning to Sprawl

drance2624 Avatar

Career:406-238
Chips:
I took the time to write this out in another thread, please forgive me if I'm repeating myself from my couple earlier posts, but I wanted to add this since I took the time to type it :)

I was ranked #23 and now I'm #37. Not too bad really, but still it pushed me further away from $500 and I could really use that $500.

And what's so bad about hot bouts anyways, it's a reward for being able to choose the 2 toughest fights on the card. If you can't play the odds and analyze fighter records and styles then tough shit...don't cry about it.

I liked the 2 hot bouts worth up to 20 points.

But I like the idea that choosing sub/(t)ko/dec are awarded points seperate from choosing the round.

I say 5 points for picking the winner

If the winner is picked correctly, then the way in which the fight was won should be worth 3 points, and a further 2 points if you choose the round in which it ends correctly.

I would still like to see 2 hot bouts in order for there to be more competition and make things more interesting.

If the winner is picked incorrectly, 0 points even if the way/round are picked correctly.

Sorry if my thoughts are a bit disorganized at the moment, I'm pretty tired. But these are my opinions, either way this is a really fun game to play and I'm enjoying it. I just wish that changes would be made at the end of the season or at least any changes made shouldn't alter previous results.

That's the one thing that is really bugging me and standing out as being unfair....altering previous results.

Whatever happens:

THANK YOU FOR PROVIDING THIS AWESOME ONLINE GAME FOR TRUE MMA FANS!

Post #41   4/17/07 10:47:14PM   

sandrey1

Learning to Sprawl

sandrey1 Avatar

Career:243-144
Chips:
The new system seems more fair to me. voted yes

Post #42   4/18/07 2:19:24PM   

Tamara

Learning to Sprawl

Tamara Avatar

Career:190-182
Chips:

Posted by sandrey1

The vote isn't really about the new system, it is about retro-activating the points for the fights that have already taken place and removing the hot bouts that they did.

Post #43   4/18/07 4:35:28PM   

CWall33

MMA Regular

CWall33 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Tamara

Posted by sandrey1

The vote isn't really about the new system, it is about retro-activating the points for the fights that have already taken place and removing the hot bouts that they did.

Exactly what I meant above when I said "I think the wording of the poll is confusing some folks."
I'll bet real money that most of the people voting YES don't fully understand what they are voting for.

Post #44   4/18/07 5:11:44PM   

D-Boy

MMA Regular

D-Boy Avatar

Career:264-172
Chips:

Should the new scoring system be applied to the existing events?

Doesn't seem too confusing to me

Post #45   4/18/07 5:22:23PM   

Page 3 of 4     1     2     3     4