Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Five Things We Learned From Watching Strikeforce: Miami

Print  
Posted By Message

emfleek

DO YOU SPEAK IT?

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,234-1,182
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
With another Strikeforce event in the books and some time to reflect on what we saw last Saturday night, it's time for some observations based on our perfect hindsight.

What, if anything, did Nick Diaz do wrong? Does Bobby Lashley's win have any long-term significance for his career? And what in the world is Strikeforce doing with Jay Hieron?

All this and more as we look back at Strikeforce's most recent offering.

1) Promotional opportunities were missed
Here's the situation: Nick Diaz won Saturday and looked outstanding doing so, completely shutting down Marius Zaromskis' standup attack. In doing so, he becomes the first-ever welterweight champion. So who does he say he wants to fight during post-fight interviews? Jay Hieron? No. Mach Sakurai? Nope. He calls out Georges St. Pierre.

There's only one problem, of course, and that's that GSP is in the UFC, and there's no way that fight is happening between the two organizations. By voicing a desire to fight GSP, Diaz is essentially telling fans that his most worthy weight-class adversary is in another company, which while true, is not exactly going to help hype up his next fight, a fight which will most decidedly not be against Georges St. Pierre.

Diaz can't be blamed for wanting to fight another great fighter, but Strikeforce has a limited amount of time in which the eyes of the MMA world are thrust upon them, so they shouldn't be wasted highlighting their rival organization at their own expense.

All of this leads me to my second point...

LINK

Post #1   2/2/10 8:39:59AM   

marcoDGK

Standup Guy

marcoDGK Avatar

Career:317-259
Camp: DGK
Chips:
that touched on a lot of good points.

Good read.

Post #2   2/2/10 4:21:58PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,471-1,565
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
I think it was a good article but honestly if Heiron wants that title fight then he should finish guys like Riggs.

Post #3   2/3/10 1:09:01AM   

XblacksheepX

MMA Regular

XblacksheepX Avatar

Career:672-359
Chips:
"Nick Diaz won Saturday and looked outstanding doing so, completely shutting down Marius Zaromskis' standup attack."

He was knocked down by Zaromskis, remember???

Post #4   2/3/10 6:15:11PM   

XblacksheepX

MMA Regular

XblacksheepX Avatar

Career:672-359
Chips:
And by the way, Diaz does not give a f*** for anything, especially the organisation he's fighting in. What should Strikeforce have done? Taking the mic away from him?

Post #5   2/3/10 6:18:48PM   

CwB

MMA Sensei

CwB Avatar

Career:221-151
Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

I think it was a good article but honestly if Heiron wants that title fight then he should finish guys like Riggs.

He gets his shot by default, being the only other WW in SF...

Post #6   2/3/10 6:41:13PM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
Yeah trying to keep Diaz "on message" is pretty much a lost cause. He's a great fighter but you could never build a promotion around him. The guy does nothing to promote the brand or the other potential fights he has. If he fights on CBS a few more times though and has outstanding wins---he writes his ticket back to the uFC.

I want to see Lawler v. Manhouf again. What I love about Manhouf---is what happened. He'll KO you...or lose. That was pretty awesome.

Post #7   2/3/10 7:01:19PM