Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Herschel Walker experiment pays off with win

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:2,420-1,317
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Strikeforce took a big risk signing and showcasing 47-year old former NFL player, Herschel Walker, in his professional debut on Saturday, but it paid off as the one time Heisman Trophy winner dominated Greg Nagy on the way to a TKO win.

In the early going, Walker did a good job of stuffing the takedown attempts from opponent, Greg Nagy, who struggled under the power of the former running back. Eventually, Walker reversed the position, landed on top, and started to throw down punches at Nagy.

Keeping out of too much danger, Nagy did position his body well enough to almost lock on a heel hook in the first round, but Walker rolled and stayed out of the submission.

link

Last edited 1/31/10 3:46PM server time by telnights
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   1/31/10 4:20:54AM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
He'll never be a world class fighter because he started too late...but his conditioning is amazing for a 47 year old. His athleticism is absolutely freakish. He has a physique of an action figure, crazy...Had he started MMA two decades ago...wow.

Post #2   1/31/10 10:41:01AM   

Naturaldisaster

MMA Sensei

Naturaldisaster Avatar

Career:703-452
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:
That fight was horrible. I dont care if its your first fight or not, he didnt even know to sink in a guillotine when he had that jokers neck. thats first day stuff right there. its an embarrassment, that he was even on a the main card. Who cares if he is a nfl hall of famer, that has nothin to do with mma and he doesnt deserve to be handfed.

Post #3   1/31/10 12:09:50PM   

Solidus

MMA Regular

Solidus Avatar

Career:1,567-910
Camp: GORILLA WARFARE
Chips:

Posted by Naturaldisaster

That fight was horrible. I dont care if its your first fight or not, he didnt even know to sink in a guillotine when he had that jokers neck. thats first day stuff right there. its an embarrassment, that he was even on a the main card. Who cares if he is a nfl hall of famer, that has nothin to do with mma and he doesnt deserve to be handfed.

Why so cynical? You can't just respect an amazing athlete who still wants to challenge himself and compete? Herschel Walker has never billed this fight as anything more than it is and all things considered, I think he did pretty well. His conditioning was great and he controlled the fight well, and it ended the way it was supposed to. You should be more embarrassed by the other guy who's had a couple fights under his belt and couldnt take advantage of Walker's inexperience.

I think Strikeforce handled it pretty well without turning it into a spectacle. First off, you have to have Herschel Walker on the main card, they would have been fools to not show the fight just because of a few holier than thou mma fans. Secondly, the timing of the fight was good. They didn't make it the main event, the fight was shown after a couple legitimate fights where you might normally have intermission or show an undercard fight like the UFC does, and it keeps the new viewers attention long enough so maybe they'll stick around for the main event. Walker is also donating his fight purse to charity, if that doesn't say something about his reasons for fighting, then I dont know...I just fail to see why this fight made some people so angry.

Post #4   1/31/10 2:04:19PM   

Sir_Karl

MMA Sensei

Sir_Karl Avatar

Career:2,228-1,515
Chips:
Herschel's opponent was a joke. I wasn't impressed by anything...in fact quite the opposite. Neither Walker or his opponent deserved to be on the Main Card...and we missed Heiron vs. Riggs? Omg

Post #5   1/31/10 2:16:36PM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:
Agreed. For all his talk I didn't see Nagy do much of anything. He just seemed underprepared and out of shape. On the other hand, Walker was very humble and respectful leading up to the fight and he was the guy who walked out with the dominant W in his first MMA match ever. I don't know about you, but if I just got my ass beat on TV by an MMA rookie who's nearly 50, it would motivate me to train my ass off for the next fight.

Walker's not looking to get paid, he's not looking for a reality TV deal or anything, he just wants to compete in a decent venue and Strikeforce gets some extra media coverage due to Walker's involvement. Win-win.

Walker is handling the whole situation with class, and in this fight at least he came well-prepared. If he fights again, he'll probably look even better provided he remains healthy and injury-free. I'm not sure what else you can expect from the guy, but he certainly blew away my expectations.

Post #6   1/31/10 3:23:14PM   

Gogoplatapus

MMA Sensei

Gogoplatapus Avatar

Career:894-595
Camp: West Coast Canada
Chips:
Nagy is the skinniest dude I've ever seen with a set of titties.

Post #7   1/31/10 3:40:17PM   

Gogoplatapus

MMA Sensei

Gogoplatapus Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Solidus

Why so cynical? You can't just respect an amazing athlete who still wants to challenge himself and compete? Herschel Walker has never billed this fight as anything more than it is and all things considered, I think he did pretty well. His conditioning was great and he controlled the fight well, and it ended the way it was supposed to. You should be more embarrassed by the other guy who's had a couple fights under his belt and couldnt take advantage of Walker's inexperience.

I think Strikeforce handled it pretty well without turning it into a spectacle. First off, you have to have Herschel Walker on the main card, they would have been fools to not show the fight just because of a few holier than thou mma fans. Secondly, the timing of the fight was good. They didn't make it the main event, the fight was shown after a couple legitimate fights where you might normally have intermission or show an undercard fight like the UFC does, and it keeps the new viewers attention long enough so maybe they'll stick around for the main event. Walker is also donating his fight purse to charity, if that doesn't say something about his reasons for fighting, then I dont know...I just fail to see why this fight made some people so angry.

Maybe because the fight sucked and people pay hard earned cash to watch MMA, not the circus or wrestling.

Post #8   1/31/10 3:42:56PM   

Naturaldisaster

MMA Sensei

Naturaldisaster Avatar

Career:703-452
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:

Posted by Solidus

it made me angry because jay heiron and joe riggs are both established fighters that were supposed to be fightin for the number 1 contendership. but they put a 47 year old who go to old to play his sport and decided he was gonna try out mma. and his opponent was a joke. i mean seriously i would have had a better fight again walker than nagy did. he didnt do a single thing right, or attempt to do anything. and hershall walker was over there hula dancin or somethin during the fight and gets up actin like he just ktfo'd nagy, i mean seriously dude. and the fact that quadros and ranello are over there basicly talkin like hershall was a god in mma didnt help the matter either.
I just think real mma fighters deserve to be hyped instead of some old dude thats gonna have 2 or 3 fights and then quit.
and why the hell were either of them HW's? they were like 210 and 213 pounds?

Last edited 1/31/10 4:11PM server time by naturaldisaster
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #9   1/31/10 4:09:51PM   

Bloodhound

Standup Guy

Bloodhound Avatar

Career:1,054-599
Chips:
I don't get how people can hate, Strikeforce would have been STUPID to put this fight on the prelim card and it was the man's first fight and hes only been training in MMA for like 2-3 months and his cardio was incredible for a 47 year old so give props where props are due. and Walker dosen't plan on being a champ or top p4p fighter, the man just wants to compete and its not about the money cause he donated his purse...the man just wants to compete and challenge himself, so I think you have to be a moron to hate on the man

Post #10   1/31/10 4:33:17PM   

The-Don

Belt Contender

The-Don Avatar

Career:583-418
Camp: Savage Nation MMA
Chips:

Posted by Solidus

it made me angry because jay heiron and joe riggs are both established fighters that were supposed to be fightin for the number 1 contendership. but they put a 47 year old who go to old to play his sport and decided he was gonna try out mma. and his opponent was a joke. i mean seriously i would have had a better fight again walker than nagy did. he didnt do a single thing right, or attempt to do anything. and hershall walker was over there hula dancin or somethin during the fight and gets up actin like he just ktfo'd nagy, i mean seriously dude. and the fact that quadros and ranello are over there basicly talkin like hershall was a god in mma didnt help the matter either.
I just think real mma fighters deserve to be hyped instead of some old dude thats gonna have 2 or 3 fights and then quit.
and why the hell were either of them HW's? they were like 210 and 213 pounds?

I can understand both side of this argument.. True Walker is not going to be around for tyoo long as an MMA fighter.. but it sounds like he himself is taking the sport seriously.. He will attract new fans to the sport who otherwise might not watch it. Plus with him being an NFL legend this will help lend some credibility to the sport as long as they do not feed him complete cans at the same time he should not be fighting top level fighters either..

Post #11   1/31/10 4:37:12PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,232-801
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
it was all a business move.why cant you all see that?

SF knew Walker would bring more interest than Riggs and Heiron.

Their isnt only hardcore fans out there like us guys.theres also people who are still new to MMA and Walker is a familiar name to them.

Props to SF for the move and decision they made to put Walker on the main card.AND at the same time potentially bringing in NEW MMA fans

Post #12   1/31/10 4:49:53PM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:2,420-1,317
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
At least he is using his name to sell for a good cause, his entire fight purse goes to charity and the more exposure he gets, the more money he can make to donate.

Post #13   1/31/10 4:52:57PM   

Gogoplatapus

MMA Sensei

Gogoplatapus Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Bloodhound

I don't get how people can hate, Strikeforce would have been STUPID to put this fight on the prelim card and it was the man's first fight and hes only been training in MMA for like 2-3 months and his cardio was incredible for a 47 year old so give props where props are due. and Walker dosen't plan on being a champ or top p4p fighter, the man just wants to compete and its not about the money cause he donated his purse...the man just wants to compete and challenge himself, so I think you have to be a moron to hate on the man

We've all heard the Strikeforce would have been stupid argument and it really makes no sense to me. IMO opinion, and I don't think I'm alone on this, Stikeforce IS STUPID to even sign this guy in the first place. They don't even have a roster worthy of making a full, legit card. (Even if they borrow three, or four guys from Dream.)

It's such a second rate organization it's not even funny. Criticize Dana White and the UFC all you want, fact is, UFC does MMA way more justice than Strikeforce can ever dream doing.

It's like we're going backwards with the sport. Kimbo, Toney, and Hershal need to F right off.

Last night did little to nothing in the grand scheme of things.

To their credit, I guess they're living up to their name. Dana's name for them anyway.

Post #14   1/31/10 5:38:49PM   

CwB

MMA Sensei

CwB Avatar

Career:221-151
Chips:

Posted by george112

it was all a business move.why cant you all see that?

SF knew Walker would bring more interest than Riggs and Heiron.

Their isnt only hardcore fans out there like us guys.theres also people who are still new to MMA and Walker is a familiar name to them.

Props to SF for the move and decision they made to put Walker on the main card.AND at the same time potentially bringing in NEW MMA fans

Exactly. Ratings are the reason for everything. Just like watching Kimbo on the UFC main cards.

Whether we agree with it or not having walker on the main card increased the money they made which helps further the sport.

Post #15   1/31/10 5:56:52PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2