Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

BJ Penn: I do want to be the welterweight champion again

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:
“As far as my aspirations to go back up to welterweight and fight GSP again, I am going to have to wait. I do want to be the welterweight champion again, I want to fight GSP again and I am always interested in moving up, I have done that in the past, looked beyond what I had to do, and I won’t be looking past Frankie Edgar.”
link

Last edited 1/30/10 3:53PM server time by maxone
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   1/30/10 3:51:10PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
BJ is the best of the best at 155. he needs to stay there and fight all the new up and comers like edgar, maynard, diaz, gomi, etc.( i know gomi isnt new at the sport and hes alreaqdy lost to Penn) i think he would spank all of them but he should stay away from gsp. i could care less about him wanting to avenge his loss.

Post #2   1/30/10 5:01:51PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,473-1,569
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Damn-it BJ!!!! Knock it off!!!

Post #3   1/30/10 5:15:40PM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,405-840
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:
I don't mind BJ trying for the WW title another time. But I DO think he should have to prove himself in the weight class by beating 2-3 decent fighters at WW. If BJ beat 2-3 tough guys then I would totally be cool with him fighting the WW champ.

Last edited 1/30/10 5:47PM server time by State_Champ
2 total post edits

Post #4   1/30/10 5:46:17PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,481-868
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Call me crazy but I think it's possible. On the feet he could out box George. On the ground he's always dangerous enough to get a sub. You never know.

Personally, I don't think it would happen. George is a bigger fighter and probably technically just as good.

I also agree that he would have to work his way up the division. But if he took out Alves and Fitch or Koshcheck, how could you deny him another shot?

Post #5   1/30/10 7:01:13PM   

motorboatensob

Standup Guy

motorboatensob Avatar

Career:483-306
Chips:
I think this time BJ wants to do it right. Take time fight his way up gain the weight the right way and now that he has his conditioning is together he wants a shot at GSP. Who wouldn't pay to see the best BJ against the best GSP not a rushed BJ against the best GSP.

Post #6   1/31/10 12:15:32AM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:2,296-1,230
Chips:
if BJ beats Edgar and then Maynard, barring Maynard wins his next fight he should be next in line after Edgar....I don't think there is anyone left in the UFC @ 155 that is deserving of fighting BJ. If Gomi beats Florian, that could present a rematch but I think BJ beats Gomi again...that fight is just marketable b/c of the Japanese fanbase, but Gomi to get by Florian first and I'm not so sure he does.

Post #7   1/31/10 12:49:18AM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Chips:
he seems to have a better perspective on it all now.

i'm all for it if he stays focused like this and fights another 4 or 5 fights at 155...
I think he has the tools to beat gsp but i'd love to see him be consistent and focused for a couple years straight before jumping up.

Post #8   1/31/10 1:56:51AM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Chips:
also, when he goes up he should do it like Anderson Silva....a non title fight here and a non title fight there....working his way through the contenders before getting another shot at the champ.

Post #9   1/31/10 1:58:30AM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by MaxOne

also, when he goes up he should do it like Anderson Silva....a non title fight here and a non title fight there....working his way through the contenders before getting another shot at the champ.

he could always fight diego again...since he ran back up to WW haha

Last edited 1/31/10 2:41AM server time by xdanish020

Post #10   1/31/10 2:41:15AM   

Naturaldisaster

MMA Sensei

Naturaldisaster Avatar

Career:703-452
Camp: Ultimate Fighter Top Team
Chips:
whats the point? he's got the LW belt, why is the welterweight belt so much better?

Post #11   1/31/10 2:42:24AM   

Naturaldisaster

MMA Sensei

Naturaldisaster Avatar

Chips:

Posted by xdanish020

if BJ beats Edgar and then Maynard, barring Maynard wins his next fight he should be next in line after Edgar....I don't think there is anyone left in the UFC @ 155 that is deserving of fighting BJ. If Gomi beats Florian, that could present a rematch but I think BJ beats Gomi again...that fight is just marketable b/c of the Japanese fanbase, but Gomi to get by Florian first and I'm not so sure he does.

you cant say that no one would be deserving of a fight with bj because after every ppv another fighter is working his way up the ladder. your always gonna have new contendersmaking their way through the ranks

Post #12   1/31/10 2:44:29AM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Naturaldisaster

Posted by xdanish020

you cant say that no one would be deserving of a fight with bj because after every ppv another fighter is working his way up the ladder. your always gonna have new contendersmaking their way through the ranks

Sure but give me some names, especially in the UFC...sure there are guys who are putting together nice win streaks but the wins they are getting aren't against the toughest competition. Would you honestly rather see Terry Etim vs. BJ Penn or BJ Penn vs. a WW w/ well rounded skills.

I just don't think there are many guys in the UFC at this point that are deserving of even fighting BJ, but you're right...as time goes by, new contenders emerge, I just don't really see who.

BJ's already taken out...

Sherk
Florian
Stevenson
Sanchez

w/ Edgar coming up and possibly Maynard after that, can you honestly say there is someone else at LW in the UFC that would matchup competitively against BJ Penn??

Post #13   1/31/10 3:26:59AM   

Naturaldisaster

MMA Sensei

Naturaldisaster Avatar

Chips:

Posted by xdanish020

Posted by xdanish020

Sure but give me some names, especially in the UFC...sure there are guys who are putting together nice win streaks but the wins they are getting aren't against the toughest competition. Would you honestly rather see Terry Etim vs. BJ Penn or BJ Penn vs. a WW w/ well rounded skills.

I just don't think there are many guys in the UFC at this point that are deserving of even fighting BJ, but you're right...as time goes by, new contenders emerge, I just don't really see who.

BJ's already taken out...

Sherk
Florian
Stevenson
Sanchez

w/ Edgar coming up and possibly Maynard after that, can you honestly say there is someone else at LW in the UFC that would matchup competitively against BJ Penn??

I guess your right, but i just dont wanna see bj go up to ww, cuz i dont wanna see the lw title switch hands every other fight, i love seein BJ dominate the division

Post #14   1/31/10 12:13:02PM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,405-840
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:

whats the point? he's got the LW belt, why is the welterweight belt so much better?

There prestige and legendary-status in having multiple belts in multiple weight classes, and there is honor and fame to be garnered by testing yourself against the best competition (the competition a WW is going to be tougher for BJ because they are bigger and stronger than LWs).

Just ask Couture or Henderson....or Pacquiao.

Post #15   1/31/10 12:50:21PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2