Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Site updates: 4/12

Print  
  Page 5 of 7   <<   2     3     4     5     6     7  
Posted By Message

ninesevensix

Learning to Sprawl

ninesevensix Avatar

Career:327-195
Camp: Agenda Suicide
Chips:

Points that were already earned shouldn't have been changed. It should start after UFC70.

Post #61   4/14/07 6:23:46PM   

BionicIng

Learning to Sprawl

BionicIng Avatar

Career:884-561
Chips:
so you are kind of taking away a good bonus for doing a very good job at picking a fight in favor of giving small bonuses to people who do an ok job as well as a very good job. the incentive for totally nailing a fight seems a little pretty weak to me.
thanks

Post #62   4/16/07 12:16:21AM   

Daneighb0r

Learning to Sprawl

Daneighb0r Avatar

Career:107-65
Camp: Agenda Suicide
Chips:
ninesevensix is only upset because the balance of power within the camp has shifted to a more impressive man (me).

Post #63   4/16/07 12:26:05AM   

MethadoneMan

Learning to Sprawl

MethadoneMan Avatar

Career:474-303
Camp: Team Pride
Chips:
I like the new scoring system. Guessing the round the fight ends in is a lot harder than guessing the method of win. It should go like this:

fighter > method > round

I'm glad the change has been made. I don't care if it's retroactive or not.

Post #64   4/16/07 11:58:49PM   

Dramacydal

Learning to Sprawl

Dramacydal Avatar

Career:288-164
Camp: Pound You Out
Chips:
Whilst I agree with the rules changed I think it is absolutely ludicrous that previous results have been doctored to allow for them.

When we signed up we all knew the rules and whilst I am happy that rule changes can be made if enough people want them its a joke that previous results should be effected by this.

It means in future there is nothing to stop people banding together and complaining about some fickle thing to gain more points.

Obviously half of people are gonna be happy about this and half aren't (some will gain points .. others will lose points) but to change previous results CLEARLY is unfair.

I mean, whilst I have dropped like 60 places, I think I'm closer to the leader, so in effect I 'should' be happy but this is shocking. 4 events away from the end of the season and the rules get changed because people complained???

These people clearly weren't getting points from the hot bouts, the bouts in which it's hardest to make ur decision ... to punish people by removing points on their hot bouts results is unjustified. For example how do you now choose which fight was the "hot bout" from an event and which one is changed? You can't do that in a fair manner.

Again, whilst I agree with the rule changes I think its grossly unfair to do it

A) Mid-season
B) Change previous results under previous rules
C) Reward some players and punish others. Changing their ranking.

Post #65   4/17/07 3:41:40AM   

drance2624

Learning to Sprawl

drance2624 Avatar

Career:406-238
Chips:
If you want to change the point-scoring system, do it at the end of the season, before the start of season 2.

I was wondering wtf happened, I coulda sworn I was ranked #23, then all of a sudden I come to check the site and I see that I'm now #37. That kinda pissed me off, because I was starting to move up the rankings and get closer to being a real contender for a top 3 spot.

This is a great game, but you really shouldn't be changing rules in the middle of a game (just like any game, that's a big no no)

You should leave the 2 hot bouts, because it makes it more competitive and people can't run away with the season victory.

GO BACK TO THE WAY YOU HAD IT!

Post #66   4/17/07 6:17:39AM   

drance2624

Learning to Sprawl

drance2624 Avatar

Career:406-238
Chips:
And another thing is the people who aren't complaining:

a.)Have moved up the rankings

or

b.)Have absolutely no chance of winning $500 either way

For myself, I felt like I stood a better chance of winning the $500 before these changes and I feel like this is BS.

I do still think this is a great site and the MODs are just trying to help, but I do think that this season should be played out under previous rules and point-scoring system.

Thanks guys, I hope this all gets worked out.

Post #67   4/17/07 6:26:47AM   

chop-socky-flix

Learning to Sprawl

Career:320-185
Camp: pandorasbox
Chips:

I take it your rankings went UP with the rule changes? The site already ****** me out of a pick I made (I picked Pelligrino at UFN 9 and it didn't go through for some reason) and now they retro away a bunch of my points. All because a bunch of people who can't pick the TOUGH fights cried to the people that run the site like a bunch of bitches. Now I just wanna' get back in the 400's out of spite.

Is it just me or are you 12 years old?

F***s Sake this site is great, just get over it.

Jeeeeeeezzzzz

Post #68   4/17/07 8:13:05AM   

MethodMan

MMA Regular

MethodMan Avatar

Career:58-26
Camp: Kamikaze
Chips:
I am sure I lost some points from the so called 'Hot Picks' which in fact where not that hard to call. However I gained more points by knowing the method of fighting used by various fighters and how they usually finish there fights, If this is a Fan site that values MMA knowledge the new rules will help those who know how fighters fight and not just those who luckily guess which round a fight may end in. Also those of us who came in late have less points than those who started earlier anyway, if this site measured % guessed correctly I would be nearer the top than most who have posted comments so far, but you do not hear me bitchin.

Also those that say there was more incetive to get it right before are you kidding. If you bet on a football match you bet on the wining team(the fighter) the number of goals(type of victory) not on time factors (how many exta minutes the ref decides to add onto each half). I prefer Poker to random games of chance I chose horses or football teams based on form not on what their names sound like. The people Bitchin are likly those that relied on pure chance to get them where they are in the table.

Last edited 4/17/07 8:43AM server time by methodman
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #69   4/17/07 8:30:09AM   

rameydl8

Standup Guy

rameydl8 Avatar

Career:354-206
Camp: Minford manglas
Chips:
i like the syestm but not the hot bouts

Post #70   4/17/07 9:33:01AM   

rameydl8

Standup Guy

rameydl8 Avatar

Career:354-206
Camp: Minford manglas
Chips:
actually i dont care how we do it...lol

Post #71   4/17/07 9:34:02AM   

BulldogWrestler

Learning to Sprawl

Career:585-339
Camp: MMAFighting
Chips:
The thing is - people will complain one way or the other regardless. Someone who wanted to win will compain when things dont go their way.

If you start a league with a scoring system it should stay that way (imo throughout the season and changes made next year - but at least it should stay the way it was when people played). With a different scoring system, people may have selected different ways to get ahead in various leagues - etc.

Just my opinion

Post #72   4/17/07 10:06:50AM   

chop-socky-flix

Learning to Sprawl

Career:320-185
Camp: pandorasbox
Chips:
Sorry forgot to add that i do agree it should have been done (changing points) at the end of the season.

Also Hot Bouts can be a good idea although a better idea would be extra points if you pick the percieved loser of the bunch, say a fighter with less than 20% of the vote at a week before or something.

Post #73   4/17/07 10:15:56AM   

Dramacydal

Learning to Sprawl

Dramacydal Avatar

Career:288-164
Camp: Pound You Out
Chips:

Posted by MethodMan

I am sure I lost some points from the so called 'Hot Picks' which in fact where not that hard to call. However I gained more points by knowing the method of fighting used by various fighters and how they usually finish there fights, If this is a Fan site that values MMA knowledge the new rules will help those who know how fighters fight and not just those who luckily guess which round a fight may end in. Also those of us who came in late have less points than those who started earlier anyway, if this site measured % guessed correctly I would be nearer the top than most who have posted comments so far, but you do not hear me bitchin.

Also those that say there was more incetive to get it right before are you kidding. If you bet on a football match you bet on the wining team(the fighter) the number of goals(type of victory) not on time factors (how many exta minutes the ref decides to add onto each half). I prefer Poker to random games of chance I chose horses or football teams based on form not on what their names sound like. The people Bitchin are likly those that relied on pure chance to get them where they are in the table.

Again, people aren't complaining that the rules have been changed. I think its nearly universally agreed that these rules are better ... but to implement them on past events is ludicrous.

I would even take a comprimise= implement the new scoring system but keep the hot bouts from previous events the same.

I can give you multiple examples of where I have been ****** on the Hot bouts.

1) Picking Nick Diaz BY sub in the second round .... bye bye 11 points because its suddenly not a hot bout anymore. (I picked Trigg by Unanimous decision so got 22 on that fight anyway.. but still)

2) Losing 11 points for Dustin Hazelett against Diego Saraiva .. despite getting the exact results correct.

Thats just off the top of my head. And these aren't examples of me "getting lucky" on a hot bout ... I picked the EXACT results of the matches ... but am now being deducted points for it because suddenly they aren't hot matches anymore. Thats bullshit.

I don't mind their being a comprimise where the hot bouts stay the same for previous events but the new rules regarding round/method of finish are brought in for past events ... that way its fully rewarding good choices.

Post #74   4/17/07 12:28:07PM   

hood

Learning to Sprawl

hood Avatar

Career:20-17
Camp: Team Maxim
Chips:
I don't have a strong opinion about the "hot bouts", but I strongly agree with the change in the scoring system. I was thinking of it myself before I even saw this forum post. If someone can predict that Randy Couture is going to win by TKO, for example, he should get credit for predicting the TKO, even if he doesn't get the round number correct. The prediction shows that the person has a good understanding of the fighters' styles and can therefore predict how one fighter will beat the other.

Post #75   4/17/07 12:56:22PM   

Page 5 of 7   <<   2     3     4     5     6     7