Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Site updates: 4/12

Print  
  Page 1 of 7     1     2     3     4   >>
Posted By Message

DoTheMMAth

MMA Sensei

DoTheMMAth Avatar

Career:1,400-860
Chips:
Being that we are still in our initial beta season, in conjunction with the consideration of a couple months worth of PM's, site feedback contacts, and forum posts regarding our current scoring system, we have made some updates which were completed today.

In the past, you would receive points for a fight's ending details ONLY if you correctly guessed the round number and the correct fighter. This has been altered so that you receive points (and a corresponding prediction fantasy bankroll bonus) for the ending details if you correctly predict the winner REGARDLESS of whether or not you have selected the finishing round. Many felt that making this change would more accurately reflect the extent of a user's predictive powers and knowledge by rewarding players for everything they have correctly picked.

New point totals for a fight are as follows:

Predict winner - 5 points

Predict fight end time (if winner has been predicted correctly) - 2 points

Predict ending details (if winner has been predicted correctly) - 2 points

Bonus for getting all three of these correct - 2 more points

In an effort to "level the playing field" we have also listened to the numerous suggestions that asked for something to be done about the "hot bouts". We did not want to eliminate this all together (sorry to all those that wanted it eliminated), but we have adjusted things so that each event now only has 1 hot bout in it.

A big thank you to the LARGE number of folks that took the time to contact us with detailed suggestions and explanations. With the help of everyone in the community we hope to continually refine and improve the playground to make it the most enjoyable MMA pit stop on the web

EDIT: Please vote on this poll to help decide whether this new scoring system should be enacted for events that have already taken place.

Last edited 4/16/07 9:33PM server time by dothemmath
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   4/12/07 1:31:55PM   

Tamara

Learning to Sprawl

Tamara Avatar

Career:190-182
Chips:
I don't agree with this at all. The point system that you had running should of been grandfathered in and not changed. Any changes made should of been from this date forward. AND exactly how did you decide what hot bouts you were going to remove from the fights that already were given points for?

Seems somewhat unfair. This LARGE number of people that complained I am assuming was the majority of the fight club members you have here. I think you should post the number of people that wanted the change vs. the number of people involved in your playground.

Post #2   4/12/07 4:03:01PM   

tepid55

MMA Sensei

tepid55 Avatar

Career:2,775-1,531
Camp: Pride FC Forever
Chips:
I much prefer the new scoring system.

Post #3   4/12/07 4:04:15PM   

Tamara

Learning to Sprawl

Tamara Avatar

Chips:

Posted by tepid55

I much prefer the new scoring system.

Why?

Post #4   4/12/07 4:14:04PM   

MMA

Pimpin

MMA Avatar

Career:672-349
Chips:
Well, we can't please you all. I like the new system except for the hot bouts, I didn't realize so many people were complaining about this.

Post #5   4/12/07 4:17:33PM   

Manfred

MMA Sensei

Manfred Avatar

Career:596-351
Chips:

Posted by MMA

Well, we can't please you all. I like the new system except for the hot bouts, I didn't realize so many people were complaining about this.

Agreed 100% I like the hot bouts too, but if the majority wanted less, that's fine. Keeps it more even if there is only one per event.

Post #6   4/12/07 4:22:13PM   

Tamara

Learning to Sprawl

Tamara Avatar

Chips:

Posted by MMA

What's the number of complaints vs. the number of players?

Post #7   4/12/07 4:23:31PM   

DoTheMMAth

MMA Sensei

DoTheMMAth Avatar

Career:1,400-860
Chips:
Between forum posts like this, PM's send directly to me, and folks using the feedback form we had a pretty big number of requests for change. I do apologize if these changes aren't to everyone's liking, we were attempting to listen to the voice of the community. It should be noted that the changes do not result in anyone losing any fantasy money. In fact, most everyone that has been around for a few events will have a more money in their account due to credit received for fights where they had the ending details correctly selected, but not the ending round. Granted we may wind up with a little more "scoring gridlock" and folks being closer in score, but hopefully over the course of 1 season (10 events) this effect won't be felt as much. All in all, this update gives more credit to those that have predicted more things correctly, with the end goal being to have the winner be the one whose knowledge coupled with powers of prediction net them the most correct points via their picks.

Regarding the hot bouts: we took the middle road by making it 1 hot bout per event. The consensus from those who wanted this feature removed or nerfed was "there's no way you can remain competitive regardless of how good you do in other picks if you don't get the hot bouts 100% nailed". To give an added bonus though, we made it so that for fights where you guess all 3 items correctly you will receive a points bonus. On cards with lots of heavy favorites, there may not always even be a 2nd bout that is higly contested (for example, Pride 33's 2nd hot bout was a 76% - 24% matchup).

The site is technically still in beta for now (as has been marked on the site header), we're in some uncharted waters here, we haven't even completed 1 season yet, and we're just trying to do what the users ask to make things as enjoyable as possible... so any patience you can spare us as we tweak things is appreciated

Post #8   4/12/07 4:55:10PM   

shawneth

MMA Regular

shawneth Avatar

Career:397-201
Chips:
I love the new scoring system. I was going to suggest it myself but i decided to keep my mouth shut. On the other hand, i liked the two hot bouts idea, it really seperates the people who chose correctly for those hard to pick fights.

Post #9   4/12/07 5:01:32PM   

Tamara

Learning to Sprawl

Tamara Avatar

Chips:
Mod said:

"Between forum posts like this, PM's send directly to me, and folks using the feedback form we had a pretty big number of requests for change. I do apologize if these changes aren't to everyone's liking, we were attempting to listen to the voice of the community."

So, ha no pun intended, Dothemmath and let us know the numbers. The voice of the community would be the majority of members you have. I want to know this.

The link to the post you had only had 3 pages of complaints or "signed petition" a handful of people.

I don't agree with making the changes in the middle of the season. Why not wait until a new season begins? Just does not seem right to change things up in the middle of the game and take points away from people.

Post #10   4/12/07 5:21:24PM   

shawneth

MMA Regular

shawneth Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Tamara

Mod said:

"Between forum posts like this, PM's send directly to me, and folks using the feedback form we had a pretty big number of requests for change. I do apologize if these changes aren't to everyone's liking, we were attempting to listen to the voice of the community."

So, ha no pun intended, Dothemmath and let us know the numbers. The voice of the community would be the majority of members you have. I want to know this.

The link to the post you had only had 3 pages of complaints or "signed petition" a handful of people.

I don't agree with making the changes in the middle of the season. Why not wait until a new season begins? Just does not seem right to change things up in the middle of the game and take points away from people.

Im pretty sure that no points are going to be taken away. I think it only will apply to all of the upcomming events. Unless i missed something that i read.

Post #11   4/12/07 5:25:52PM   

shawneth

MMA Regular

shawneth Avatar

Chips:
Sorry, i just looked up all of my event picks and the ppoint distibution has changed. Sorry for my previous comment.

Post #12   4/12/07 5:27:53PM   

Tamara

Learning to Sprawl

Tamara Avatar

Chips:
Go back and look over your picks history. They took away one hotbout where there was two and adjusted their points for the past events according to the new point system.

Post #13   4/12/07 5:28:45PM   

D-Boy

MMA Regular

D-Boy Avatar

Career:264-172
Chips:
I don't mind it

Post #14   4/12/07 5:36:23PM   

CWall33

MMA Regular

CWall33 Avatar

Career:413-243
Chips:

Posted by shawneth

Posted by Tamara

Im pretty sure that no points are going to be taken away. I think it only will apply to all of the upcomming events. Unless i missed something that i read.

They took points away from some, and gave extra points to others.
Within my fight camp, 2 people gained points, and 4 lost. 1 person lost a LOT of points.

I agree with the new system, but not in the middle of a season, and especially not retroactive to events that have already taken place.

Post #15   4/12/07 5:45:35PM   

Page 1 of 7     1     2     3     4   >>