Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Lil' Nog Is A "Horrible Fight" For Forrest Griffin

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
At least Forrest Griffin thinks so. "That is a horrible fight for me. I have trained with his brother a little bit, so he already has the 'inside scoop' on me, he's a southpaw, has got a good chin, and has good power. Plus he is pretty solid on the ground. The only place I would have an advantage would be wrestling... and my wrestling is not that good. So yeah, that’s a tough match up for me. I'd do it, if that’s what they wanted, but being straight up, there are other guys I'd rather fight."

Article

Post #1   1/29/10 1:52:19PM   

Pskinner_mma314

In Full Mount

Pskinner_mma314 Avatar

Career:191-166
Chips:
Forrest is my favorite fighter, so I'll root for him no matter what, even if I know he is gonna lose(see Anderson Silva), but I agree with him here, this is a bad matchup for him. At least he's honest, I mean i would kinda rather see him have a rematch with Jardine, or Rampage whenever that falls together, I think Thiago would be a good fight, or Franklin, there are a lotta people he can fight.
I do have the feeling the LHW is startin to get too competitive for him though.

Post #2   1/29/10 1:59:28PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,550-903
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
Ouch.... I think the Anderson fight destroyed his confidence. I agree with what he's saying but he certainly shouldn't.

Post #3   1/29/10 2:00:20PM   

Giant_Ochai

BANNED

Career:433-278
Chips:
Forrest sounds more like he wants to be a special attraction instead of legitimate title contender.

Post #4   1/29/10 2:09:03PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
I'd like to see Griffin vs Franklin.

Griffin along while back was saying kinda this same stuff just about him facing machida.

Post #5   1/29/10 2:45:53PM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:2,460-1,335
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
maybe he's gotta beat himself up mentally to prepare for this one....kinda similiar to the Shogun fight where no one thought he would win, although Shogun wasn't at his best at the time...Forrest shocked the world.

Forrest is being realistic but I think he'll be prepared for this one, although I don't see him winning.

Last edited 1/29/10 3:13PM server time by xdanish020
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #6   1/29/10 3:01:40PM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
I love Forrest, the dude fights with the heart of lion and is always truthful and respectful to his fans and fellow fighters.
Win or lose this guy should never be cut from the UFC he's up there with Chuck and Randy in my opinion and definatly one of the best LHW's around.
I think I might have a man crush...

I think its safe to say this will be fight of the night regardless of the outcome!

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #7   1/29/10 3:13:41PM   

marcoDGK

Standup Guy

marcoDGK Avatar

Career:317-259
Camp: DGK
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

I'd like to see Griffin vs Franklin.

Griffin along while back was saying kinda this same stuff just about him facing machida.

absolutely! that would be a good one! Griffin vs Franklin. Plus, they can sell the eff out of that because they seem much more evenly matched. AND, they both got worked by Anderson.

Griffin is one of those fighters that speaks the truth about himself. That's why he is so likeable. He doesn't try to BS. He knows nog is a tough fight. He's not saying he's going to lose. He is just voicing his opinion on his competitor. Everyone is talking about how bad he's going to get wrecked so he's just saying "I know, it's a tough fight."

Maybe, this is a match up to see where Griffins heart is.

Last edited 1/29/10 3:45PM server time by marcodgk
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #8   1/29/10 3:44:24PM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,474-877
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:

Posted by xdanish020

maybe he's gotta beat himself up mentally to prepare for this one....kinda similiar to the Shogun fight where no one thought he would win, although Shogun wasn't at his best at the time...Forrest shocked the world.

Forrest is being realistic but I think he'll be prepared for this one, although I don't see him winning.

I think I picked Forrest to beat Shogun...

I also think this is a bad match-up for Forrest but he doesn't need to sound like such a loser, does he? I like the guy. He's a fun fighter to watch. I could understand if he said it was a 'tough match-up' for him, but a 'bad' one? It just sounds so negative. I don't like this talk one bit if Forrest is being serious. And then for him to say that there's other guys he'd like to fight, really? Saying that after saying ' this is a bad match-up' makes it sound like he'd rather fight other guys because they would be easier to beat, which is not the attitude I used to think of when I thought of Forrest Griffin.

Post #9   1/29/10 3:53:29PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,478-1,317
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
i totally agree!!
2 to 1 odds that forrest pulls out of fight with a injury

Post #10   1/29/10 4:44:47PM   

EvenFlow

banned

EvenFlow Avatar

Career:432-232
Chips:
Forrest has grown on me over the past year and little things like this are the reason why. Even though he knows he'll probably get beaten badly by a future contender he's still going in there to do his damndest to win and never give up.

Post #11   1/29/10 4:47:09PM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:2,460-1,335
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by xdanish020

I think I picked Forrest to beat Shogun...

I also think this is a bad match-up for Forrest but he doesn't need to sound like such a loser, does he? I like the guy. He's a fun fighter to watch. I could understand if he said it was a 'tough match-up' for him, but a 'bad' one? It just sounds so negative. I don't like this talk one bit if Forrest is being serious. And then for him to say that there's other guys he'd like to fight, really? Saying that after saying ' this is a bad match-up' makes it sound like he'd rather fight other guys because they would be easier to beat, which is not the attitude I used to think of when I thought of Forrest Griffin.

def agree

Post #12   1/29/10 5:23:33PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,903-1,083
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by xdanish020

I think Forrest had a definite advantage in the Shogun fight... cardio. Shogun at that point in his career had never shown an ability to take a fight deep and still stay sharp. Injuries to Shogun magnified it and put forrest in a position to win. Plus at the time several of the PRIDE fighters were not showing an ability to adapt to the training of american fighters. forrest fought a great fight that night and weathered the storm and proved a lot of people (including me) wrong.0

That isn't the case in this fight. forrest has it called spot on and if he does win should get full credit for beating the odds.

Post #13   1/29/10 10:26:03PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
i read forrest's book and he said in there that he tells people that kind of thing on purpose in the interviews. its all about being the underdog for him, he likes to make himself sound like hes not as good as the other fighter because he wants to be the fan fav. hes still gonna get beat up by lil' nog but i would expect to see him come out ready for this fight. i wouldn't read to much into his statement

Post #14   1/29/10 11:34:32PM   

MiniMan

Standup Guy

MiniMan Avatar

Career:38-27
Chips:
Forrest will beat Nogueria, We will all see...

Post #15   1/30/10 10:30:19AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2