Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Fedor Emelianenko or Brock Lesnar: Who Is the More Powerful Brand?

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

RhythmAndStyle

MMA Sensei

RhythmAndStyle Avatar

Career:2,428-1,454
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Businessweek's decision to rank Fedor Emelianenko ahead of Brock Lesnar in the power 100 ranking of athletes has spurred a lot of discussion. On its face, it's absurd. Both men compete in American promotions, and Brock Lesnar is a far bigger star. He makes more money, his name drives much more media interest, and his record on PPV is second to none.

Link

Last edited 1/28/10 2:10PM server time by rhythmandstyle
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   1/28/10 2:09:55PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
I'm not sure on this. While Brock is much bigger in the UFC, world wide Fedor was watched by 20 million + for his Rogers fight. If you look at it that way it's reasonable, not to mention Fedor is seen by more people then Brock even here in the US. Remember the UFC is on ppv, not cable tv. I do see why they would rank it this way.

Post #2   1/28/10 2:26:09PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,869-1,573
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
I actually think it's that way just because Lesnar hasn't proven his longevity at the top yet. I don't think viewership plays much of a role in the decision, because technically more people will be watching Greg Nagy this Saturday than watched Lesnar at UFC 100 (in the US anyway)...it's apples and oranges. Not to mention, the UFC is available in a crazy number of countries now, so I'm not sure how many people they reach globally. They listed the 3 factors as performance, marketability and earning potential. Obviously Fedor has the better performance and earning potential is arguable, but marketability (at least for the foreseeable future) is still all Lesnar.

Post #3   1/28/10 2:42:51PM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000
Obviously Fedor has the better performance and earning potential is arguable, but marketability (at least for the foreseeable future) is still all Lesnar.

Post #4   1/28/10 3:58:42PM   

MisterFreeze

Standup Guy

MisterFreeze Avatar

Career:317-283
Chips:

Posted by Boo_Radley21

Posted by grappler0000
Obviously Fedor has the better performance and earning potential is arguable, but marketability (at least for the foreseeable future) is still all Lesnar.

Does anyone think Fedor is looking softer lately? In his fight against Rogers Fedor looked soft and doughy.
Perhaps Fedor could be even better if he would train harder!?

Post #5   1/28/10 5:10:57PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,258-821
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by MisterFreeze

Posted by Boo_Radley21

Posted by grappler0000

Does anyone think Fedor is looking softer lately? In his fight against Rogers Fedor looked soft and doughy.

thats just his body style.it really has alot to do with genetics.

he trains hard i dont doubt that at all.his record speaks for itself

Post #6   1/28/10 5:58:54PM   

Giant_Ochai

BANNED

Career:433-278
Chips:

Posted by MisterFreeze

Posted by Boo_Radley21

Posted by grappler0000

Maybe he's just not obsessed with his outward appearance.

Post #7   1/28/10 6:07:30PM   

LotusLoo

Learning to Sprawl

LotusLoo Avatar

Career:207-142
Chips:
Consider their records...
Fedor: 31 wins, 1 loss (and 1 no contest)
Lesnar: 4 wins, 1 loss
and they are only 1 year apart in age. I think that says a lot about why Fedor is ranked above Lesnar.

Secondly, Fedor's skills far surpass Lesnar at this point. Lesnar has wrestling down, but all other mma skills are still on the drawing board for him. Fedor is well-rounded and has shown wins via knockouts and various types of submissions. Not to mention, he is more respectful of opponents than Lesnar has shown thus far = better image for the sport.

Being a "star" and making more money does not mean you are the better athlete!

Post #8   1/28/10 6:11:42PM   

EvenFlow

banned

EvenFlow Avatar

Career:432-232
Chips:

Posted by MisterFreeze

Posted by Boo_Radley21

Posted by grappler0000

So youre conclusion is he dosnt work hard enough and if he did he'd have a better than an already perfect record. Amazing.

Post #9   1/28/10 6:25:23PM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,590-1,480
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by EvenFlow

So youre conclusion is he dosnt work hard enough and if he did he'd have a better than an already perfect record. Amazing.

not exactly what he said, but what you said made me laugh.

Post #10   1/28/10 6:31:25PM   

MisterFreeze

Standup Guy

MisterFreeze Avatar

Career:317-283
Chips:

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by MisterFreeze

Posted by Boo_Radley21

Posted by grappler0000

lol, not exactly what I was trying to say. I just think that everyone has potential to improve, even guys like Fedor who are ranked at the top of alot of lists.
I'm sure he trains very hard, but why does he appear soft and doughy?

Post #11   1/28/10 10:27:39PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,258-821
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:

Posted by MisterFreeze

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by MisterFreeze

Posted by Boo_Radley21

Posted by grappler0000

lol, not exactly what I was trying to say. I just think that everyone has potential to improve, even guys like Fedor who are ranked at the top of alot of lists.
I'm sure he trains very hard, but why does he appear soft and doughy?

Genetics.

Post #12   1/28/10 11:05:15PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by LotusLoo

and they are only 1 year apart in age. I think that says a lot about why Fedor is ranked above Lesnar.

Secondly, Fedor's skills far surpass Lesnar at this point. Lesnar has wrestling down, but all other mma skills are still on the drawing board for him. Fedor is well-rounded and has shown wins via knockouts and various types of submissions. Not to mention, he is more respectful of opponents than Lesnar has shown thus far = better image for the sport.

The article wasn't about being the best athlete.

Last edited 1/28/10 11:12PM server time by grappler0000
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #13   1/28/10 11:10:25PM   

LotusLoo

Learning to Sprawl

LotusLoo Avatar

Career:207-142
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by LotusLoo

The list in Business Week is ALL about the best athetes - by this, I mean those that dominate their field with both physical skills AND ability to promote their sport.
This is why Fedor is ranked higher - he has his sport with both physical talent and global respect. Embarrassing post-fight comments that jeopardize the legitimacy of the sport are not good for business! So, the better image for the sport is the one that will better promote = higher ranking in the Power 100.

Post #14   1/29/10 12:19:16AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by LotusLoo

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by LotusLoo

The list in Business Week is ALL about the best athetes - by this, I mean those that dominate their field with both physical skills AND ability to promote their sport.
This is why Fedor is ranked higher - he has his sport with both physical talent and global respect. Embarrassing post-fight comments that jeopardize the legitimacy of the sport are not good for business! So, the better image for the sport is the one that will better promote = higher ranking in the Power 100.

Although they often go hand in hand, being the best athlete and being the best brand can be two completely different things. I'll give you an example. Kimbo Slice's marketability far exceeds his talent. He has a strong brand, but is unproven in the sport, similar to Lesnar, but on a different scale. Lesnar actually being on the list with only a handful of fights should be an indicator all on its own. In fact, if this was about the best athlete, GSP would be on the list instead of Brock. And something that your not taking into consideration is that heels can actually be good for business...just ask Mayweather. Whatever your personal beliefs are on Lesnar, people want to see him fight. And if he said something that offended some people, well then apparently they're willing to pay money to see him fight on the off chance that he loses. If you read the article, it clearly explains the criteria used in making the list...and being a good athlete is only a portion of it.

Post #15   1/29/10 1:35:03AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2