Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

With planned retirement at 30, Gegard Mousasi searching for best career options

Print  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,363-1,248
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
LOS ANGELES – Strikeforce light heavyweight champion Gegard Mousasi has no plans to fight until his body fails him. When the 24-year-old hits the big 3-0, he's out.

With that in mind, he has set strict goals for his career's path, including a jump to heavyweight in 18 months.

Before he bulks up, though, he wants to fight six to eight times in 2010 and plans to start by fighting Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal in April. He also plans to participate in a DREAM eight-man light heavyweight tournament rumored for June.

"I'm going to try to stay very busy," Mousasi told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) on Wednesday. "It's better to stay in shape the whole year, fight a lot, than fight and be fat again and train hard again. I don't like it. I like to be in shape the whole year, be in top shape, and then I'm going to take a break for one or two months (at the end of the year)."

LINK

Post #1   1/28/10 9:22:12AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,363-1,248
Chips:
6-8 fights in 2010? If that happens, I'll eat a bowl of my own crap.

His first fight in 2010 isn't until April. There's no way in hell that he fights 7 more times in 8 months. Or even 5 more times.

* I reserve the right to *not* eat my own crap if I'm proven wrong. I just looked at his history and 6 fights isn't really all that unrealistic. Especially if he fights in a tournament.

Last edited 1/28/10 9:32AM server time by emfleek
Edit note/reason: n/a
3 total post edits

Post #2   1/28/10 9:29:18AM   

kopower

Heavyweight Champ

kopower Avatar

Career:2,331-1,251
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

6-8 fights in 2010? If that happens, I'll eat a bowl of my own crap.

His first fight in 2010 isn't until April. There's no way in hell that he fights 7 more times in 8 months. Or even 5 more times.

* I reserve the right to *not* eat my own crap if I'm proven wrong. I just looked at his history and 6 fights isn't really all that unrealistic. Especially if he fights in a tournament.

What you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in the playground is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no props, and may the mods have mercy on your soul.

Post #3   1/28/10 10:23:30AM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,509-889
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
He'll probably have at least six fights this year, he often fights back to back months, I could see Mo injuring him, even though I can't see Mo defeating him.

Post #4   1/28/10 10:39:08AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
I should prolly follow his plan of retiring at 30, cept I prolly wont be as rich as him haha.

I dont think Gegard and Kos are going to get in as many fights as they want in a year. I do think Gegard could get more fights in a year than Kos though.

Post #5   1/28/10 11:09:24AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,637-1,512
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

I do think Gegard could get more fights in a year than Kos though.

you got that right, although kos has really been a go to guy for the ufc when they need someone to step up and take a fight. im not a fan of the guy, but you have to respect his willingness to get in there any time and have a damn good chance of winning at that.

Post #6   1/28/10 11:12:43AM   

1daveufc

Standup Guy

1daveufc Avatar

Career:612-433
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:
Is there 6-8 fights out there for gegard cause i dont see them.So if its big money he wants the ufc is the place for him and there is a lot of fights for him in ufc IMO.

Post #7   1/28/10 1:23:00PM   

crazedfan

MMA Regular

crazedfan Avatar

Career:2,672-1,479
Camp: BE Civil War
Chips:
Word is DREAM is going to run a Light Heavyweight Grand Prix and Mousasi would most likely be a part of that, so right there you have 3 fights if it's only 8 men, and 4 fights if it's 16.

Post #8   1/28/10 2:40:09PM   

CwB

MMA Sensei

CwB Avatar

Career:221-151
Chips:

Posted by 1daveufc

Is there 6-8 fights out there for gegard cause i dont see them.So if its big money he wants the ufc is the place for him and there is a lot of fights for him in ufc IMO.

I agree with everything you just said but I'm pretty sure Dream pays very, very well...

I dont want to see gegard move to HW and lose fights just on the fact that he cant compete size-wise. After the king-mo fight and a fight with henderson there arent really any interesting match ups outside of the UFC. I would hate to see the UFC hold a complete Monopoly of top fighters but I start drooling over the possible match-ups

Gegard VS
Machida, Shogun, Rampage, Rashaad, Lil Nog, A. Silva, Franklin, and so many more...

Post #9   1/28/10 3:04:53PM   

Jesse_Canadian_MMA

Belt Contender

Jesse_Canadian_MMA Avatar

Career:1,776-1,097
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
If Mousasi competes and wins even 6 times this year, his record will be crazy awesome and argubly the best record in MMA, hope he does it.

start with Lawal
and I have no idea who else if the UFC is not in the picture but hopefully they are

Post #10   1/28/10 6:51:29PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:
If he goes to the UFC he'll probably lose a lot thouh because they'll give him an intro fight, then send him deep. And the pay isn't going to be that much greater i think, because he won't put asses in the seats.

Gregard staying outside the UFC is a great position. He won't make Fedor dollars anytime soon, but he'll make GOOD money and he can fight a lot.

Post #11   1/28/10 9:38:03PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:535-379
Chips:
im not sure if i like the retirement plan but i do want him to fight more. i dont see him entering the ufc so all those fights with ufc fighters are null and void in my opinion. he can still take home a few dreams championships and still fight in strikeforce for a s**t load of money befor 30 yrs old

Post #12   1/28/10 9:50:23PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,631-1,351
Chips:

Posted by seanfu

If he goes to the UFC he'll probably lose a lot though because they'll give him an intro fight, then send him deep. .

I think this is a gigantic misconception with the UFC.

if they shell out the money for a fighter of Mousasi's caliber, they will not send them on a long hard road. He would get at the ABSOLUTE most, 1 fight, before a title shot.

They realize that once the contract is signed they can progress them as quickly as possible and reap the most rewards if they get the belt.

If the fighter only signed a 2 or 3 fight deal, then that's the only time the UFC would short-track them to keep them from the title and make sure they've signed a new exclusive deal before getting the shot.

Anyways, not to quote and refute, but I just feel it is a big misconception of speculative high profile signings based on past history.

Post #13   1/29/10 1:17:49PM