Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Rory MacDonald vs. Carlos Condit Planned For UFC 115

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

emfleek

- > THUG LIFE < -

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,386-1,258
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Former WEC welterweight champion, Carlos Condit (24-5), is in talks to take on King of the Cage star Rory MacDonald (10-0), at UFC 115 from the General Motors Place in Vancouver, B.C., Canada, on June 15.

LINK

Post #1   1/27/10 12:21:46PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Rory hopefully by UD or Tko. I dont think I can pick condit here but if I do I will be rooting for rory.

Post #2   1/27/10 12:29:59PM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:2,644-1,421
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Don't like this fight one bit, two guys who could very well be marketable in the UFC and you are giving them each other this early in their UFC careers?

Not very smart, IMO. MacDonald is going to beat Condit out of the UFC, and I'd like to see a lot more matchups w/ Condit

Diaz/Condit
Daley/Condit
Hazelett/Condit

the list goes on and on

overall, this is the first time in a long time I think Joe Silva messed up w/ his matchmaking. Both of these fighters should be given easier opponents to get a few wins to be built up.

Last edited 1/27/10 2:24PM server time by xdanish020
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   1/27/10 2:23:51PM   

marcoDGK

Standup Guy

marcoDGK Avatar

Career:332-275
Camp: DGK
Chips:

Posted by xdanish020

overall, this is the first time in a long time I think Joe Silva messed up w/ his matchmaking. Both of these fighters should be given easier opponents to get a few wins to be built up.

Jeez, I hope everyone doesn't think that way. Easier opponents? I would rather see good fights like this than putting these guys up against "easy" opponents. I wanna see good fights not babied superstars.
If they have a lot of potential then it will show in their fights and they won't get cut.

I can see Condit fighting Hazzelett but not Daley. IMO, this is a good match up that will be an exciting prelim fight.

Post #4   1/27/10 6:38:57PM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by marcoDGK

Posted by xdanish020

Jeez, I hope everyone doesn't think that way. Easier opponents? I would rather see good fights like this than putting these guys up against "easy" opponents. I wanna see good fights not babied superstars.
If they have a lot of potential then it will show in their fights and they won't get cut.

I can see Condit fighting Hazzelett but not Daley. IMO, this is a good match up that will be an exciting prelim fight.

Apparently they do, considering I've already gotten a bunch of props from that post. Trust me, I'd love to see these guys fight down the line, but right now it's just not the smart move. You need to give fighters like these somewhat easier fights so they are able to build a fanbase, since both seem to be very young, talented and marketable.

Not to mention, my easier opponents comment was slightly taken out of context by you, an easier opponent doesn't necessarily mean a bad fighter, just someone who might might not be a contender anytime soon but is still a good fighter, ala Marcus Davis or Chris Lytle, maybe even Paul Taylor.

And if you have no desire to see Condit/Daley then I just don't know what to say.....lol

I also don't disagree that this will be a good matchup, it's just not a smart move on the UFCs part because this fight alone won't sell a card, but it will cost one of these guys a potential spot on the roster or bring em down a few notches on the latter, esp for Condit.

Post #5   1/27/10 6:46:52PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
I think this is a good matchup by Joe Silva and I think both guys wouldnt want easier opponents.

Post #6   1/27/10 7:53:06PM   

marcoDGK

Standup Guy

marcoDGK Avatar

Career:332-275
Camp: DGK
Chips:

Posted by xdanish020

Posted by marcoDGK

Posted by xdanish020

Apparently they do, considering I've already gotten a bunch of props from that post. Trust me, I'd love to see these guys fight down the line, but right now it's just not the smart move. You need to give fighters like these somewhat easier fights so they are able to build a fanbase, since both seem to be very young, talented and marketable.

Not to mention, my easier opponents comment was slightly taken out of context by you, an easier opponent doesn't necessarily mean a bad fighter, just someone who might might not be a contender anytime soon but is still a good fighter, ala Marcus Davis or Chris Lytle, maybe even Paul Taylor.

And if you have no desire to see Condit/Daley then I just don't know what to say.....lol

I also don't disagree that this will be a good matchup, it's just not a smart move on the UFCs part because this fight alone won't sell a card, but it will cost one of these guys a potential spot on the roster or bring em down a few notches on the latter, esp for Condit.

Yeah, I might have taken it out of context. I just see this as a good fight for both because of their records so far. If the fight knocks Condit down a few notches because of a loss then, it happens. His record is awesome but maybe he’s not ready for the UFC. I think if MacDonald losses this fight his next one will be one of the same caliber as Condit or he will fight a new comer like himself.

Condit is 1-1. Both decision- one loss to Kampmann. MacDonald is 1-0. (11-0) First fight was against Guymon (sp?) I read somewhere that it was suppose to be the KOTC championship fight anyway. MacDonald has finished all his fights and both have impressive records.

Who else would you want them to fight if not each other?

I just don’t think Condit would fight Daley any time soon since Daley beat Kampmann. Seems like that is taken into consideration at times. Condit has only fought one ufc 'vet' and lost. His other fight was a new comer like himself.

Last edited 1/27/10 8:01PM server time by marcodgk
Edit note/reason: typo

Post #7   1/27/10 7:59:18PM   

EvenFlow

banned

EvenFlow Avatar

Career:432-232
Chips:
Maybe it's just me but I think at this point its a mismatch in favor of Condit. MacDonald showed a good amount of potential, against a nobody, let's see how he does against a top 15 fighter. I dont think he'll pass this test, he's probably not submitting Condit and his striking looked rudimentary imo.

Too early, too soon I agree with xandish in this one, but I still think this is a perfect fight for Condit right now.

Post #8   1/27/10 8:10:27PM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,810-1,780
Chips:
I think it's kind of lame, Condit should be higher on the totem pole than Rory....who did impress defeating an unknown. I think Rory gets finished by the end of the 2nd.

Post #9   1/27/10 8:14:32PM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,724-935
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by EvenFlow

Maybe it's just me but I think at this point its a mismatch in favor of Condit. MacDonald showed a good amount of potential, against a nobody, let's see how he does against a top 15 fighter. I dont think he'll pass this test, he's probably not submitting Condit and his striking looked rudimentary imo.

Too early, too soon I agree with xandish in this one, but I still think this is a perfect fight for Condit right now.

I agree. Condit is a top-tier welterweight, and this is a giant step up in competition for Rory MacDonald, who will in all likelihood be better than Condit some day.

Silva's a good matchmaker, but like many others, I do not see the sense in wasting somebody considered such a strong prospect. The UFC has built a few prospects slowly, especially Cain Velasquez, who advanced through a string of opponents, each a little better than the previous, that tested different facets of his overall game. They are doing the same for Bader and Jones at light heavyweight, Sadollah at welterweight, and did something similar with Maia.

Throwing a prospect to a top-ten or top-fifteen welterweight, especially one that could be less than a few fights from fighting for a title, seems unlike the UFC.

Post #10   1/27/10 8:59:30PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,660-1,415
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
wonder if it will make the main card bout

Post #11   1/28/10 12:53:44AM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by lohmann

Posted by EvenFlow

I agree. Condit is a top-tier welterweight, and this is a giant step up in competition for Rory MacDonald, who will in all likelihood be better than Condit some day.

Silva's a good matchmaker, but like many others, I do not see the sense in wasting somebody considered such a strong prospect. The UFC has built a few prospects slowly, especially Cain Velasquez, who advanced through a string of opponents, each a little better than the previous, that tested different facets of his overall game. They are doing the same for Bader and Jones at light heavyweight, Sadollah at welterweight, and did something similar with Maia.

Throwing a prospect to a top-ten or top-fifteen welterweight, especially one that could be less than a few fights from fighting for a title, seems unlike the UFC.

This is exactly what I was trying to say man, they also did it with Bisping...but we saw how that turned out,

Post #12   1/28/10 3:22:01AM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by marcoDGK

I just don’t think Condit would fight Daley any time soon since Daley beat Kampmann. Seems like that is taken into consideration at times. Condit has only fought one ufc 'vet' and lost. His other fight was a new comer like himself.

I wasn't saying they should fight right now, Kos vs. Daley is slated for 113 iirc, but in the future...you can't tell me Condit vs. Daley wouldn't be fireworks. They'd stand kinda like Ellenberger/Condit, until Condit feels Daleys power and takes it to the ground where he is more dominant w/ his submissions, where as Daley isn't the wrestler Ellenberger was. I think that fight just screams excitement. If Daley doesn't KO Condit, he could get subbed....kinda like the Hazelett fight w/ Daley, except Carlos has the striking to actually make it interesting on the feet.

Last edited 1/28/10 3:34AM server time by xdanish020

Post #13   1/28/10 3:27:40AM   

EvenFlow

banned

EvenFlow Avatar

Career:432-232
Chips:

Posted by xdanish020

This is exactly what I was trying to say man, they also did it with Bisping...but we saw how that turned out,

Thats not what you said bud...

Posted by xdanish020
Not very smart, IMO. MacDonald is going to beat Condit out of the UFC, and I'd like to see a lot more matchups w/ Condit

Post #14   1/28/10 11:11:19AM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by xdanish020

Thats not what you said bud...

Posted by xdanish020

I said, that's what I was trying to say...I shouldn't have quoted his entire post, my reference was to his Amir and Cain examples, not who will win between Condit/MacDonald.

The whole purpose of my posts throughout this thread has been that they should both be built up and not be fighting each other this early in their career....ala what I quoted about Amir, Cain, etc.

Nice try tho, bud.....next time pay more attention and read everything I say and not just tid bits of information.

Last edited 1/28/10 11:54AM server time by xdanish020
5 total post edits

Post #15   1/28/10 11:44:09AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2