Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Palaszewski vs. Darabedyan In WEC March 6

Print  
Posted By Message

RhythmAndStyle

MMA Sensei

RhythmAndStyle Avatar

Career:2,537-1,517
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
The lightweights will go to battle as the WEC invades Columbus, OH when former IFL stand-out, Bart Palaszewski, takes on rising star, Karen Darabedyan, in a 155lb contest on the undercard of the Saturday night event. The bout was announced by the WEC on Tuesday.A winner in his last two fights, Palaszewski is looking to build upon his last victory in the WEC, a split decision nod he got over Anthony Pettis back in December.

Link

Post #1   1/26/10 2:43:03PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Close fight but I've got to go with bart by UD with his exp. Unless Karen can stop the TD's of Bart.

Post #2   1/26/10 8:24:55PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,618-946
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
This fight will come down to whether or not Darabedyan can take Bart down. When Bart is on his back he defends well but he doesn't seem to have enough urgency to try and stand up and as good as his subs are (he's a brown belt under Jeff Curran) he doesn't catch a lot of people from his guard in MMA.

However, if the fight stays standing or Bart winds up on top, he takes it easy.

Post #3   1/26/10 10:56:58PM   

EvenFlow

banned

EvenFlow Avatar

Career:432-232
Chips:

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Close fight but I've got to go with bart by UD with his exp. Unless Karen can stop the TD's of Bart.

Darabedyan is a black belt in Judo, having won at Grapplers Quest and the World Grappling Games. Bart's wrestling isn't that good in comparison to the big 155ers like Roller, Henderson, Castillo etc. Watch Bart's most recent loss where he barely stopped any of Lamas' takedowns. If I remember correctly Horodecki was holding his own grappling with Bart so I'd say Darabedyan could do better than just hanging like Chris.

Posted by bjj1605

Not necessarily, he was owning Razor Rob standing for the first 2 rounds. His boxing looked way more crisp than Bart's mostly sloppy brawling, which got him smashed against Njokuani.

Last edited 1/26/10 11:36PM server time by evenflow
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #4   1/26/10 11:31:26PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:540-380
Chips:
bart is a solid fighter, but ive never been to impressed with him as for explosiveness. i think hes got this one but it wont be fight of the year or anything. BART BY UD

Post #5   1/27/10 1:14:36AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by bjj1605

Not necessarily, he was owning Razor Rob standing for the first 2 rounds. His boxing looked way more crisp than Bart's mostly sloppy brawling, which got him smashed against Njokuani.

Well first of all, Razor Rob didn't expect Darabedyan to have any striking. I think he though it was an easy fight for him and underestimated his opponent. As the fight went on Rob got stronger and I think he could have taken over if it was a 5 rounds fight. No excuses though, Darabedyan beat him and it was a good performance.

Bart is a good striker, I wouldn't call it 'sloppy brawlling' by any means. Darabedyan throws mostly punches and backs straight up with his hands down. That's not a good idea against Bart, who is faster than Razor Rob and has more one shot knock out power.

Njokuani is a tall fighter and a great striker, he was a standout fighter in the WCL. Njokuani had a big reach advantage over Bart. I think Bart might have reach over Drabedyan, or at least won't be at a great disadvantage.

Another thing to consider is that Bart is a slow starter. He often takes the first round off, unfortunately. If Darabedyan can pressure him early, like Njokuani did, he might fare better on the feet. Or if he can keep him off balance with takedowns.

But if he elects to strike with Bart and lets him settle into a rythm, I have no doubt that Bart will win the stand up.

I'm not really familiar with how the av bet thing works, but i'd be willing to bet on this fight.

Post #6   1/27/10 2:08:53AM   

EvenFlow

banned

EvenFlow Avatar

Career:432-232
Chips:

Posted by bjj1605

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by bjj1605

Well first of all, Razor Rob didn't expect Darabedyan to have any striking. I think he though it was an easy fight for him and underestimated his opponent. As the fight went on Rob got stronger and I think he could have taken over if it was a 5 rounds fight. No excuses though, Darabedyan beat him and it was a good performance.

Bart is a good striker, I wouldn't call it 'sloppy brawlling' by any means. Darabedyan throws mostly punches and backs straight up with his hands down. That's not a good idea against Bart, who is faster than Razor Rob and has more one shot knock out power.

Njokuani is a tall fighter and a great striker, he was a standout fighter in the WCL. Njokuani had a big reach advantage over Bart. I think Bart might have reach over Drabedyan, or at least won't be at a great disadvantage.

Another thing to consider is that Bart is a slow starter. He often takes the first round off, unfortunately. If Darabedyan can pressure him early, like Njokuani did, he might fare better on the feet. Or if he can keep him off balance with takedowns.

But if he elects to strike with Bart and lets him settle into a rythm, I have no doubt that Bart will win the stand up.

I'm not really familiar with how the av bet thing works, but i'd be willing to bet on this fight.

If I knew about his boxing, judo and grappling creds... then Rob more than likely knew, in fact he even said he commentated his fights in local shows. He just took him lightly and fought tentatively like always has since Varner smoked him and everyone picked him because they did no research. Do you notice he has an excuse after every loss? kinda like a certain team punishment teammate...

I have no room to talk bad about Bart since he's a pro but for the sake of argument he lacks the technique in his striking that just makes me unimpressed in comparison to those premier strikers. Youre right about Darabedyans striking, he's got a lot of work to do on, especially footwork and defense but he has a lot of raw abilities that just need fine tuning and he'll be a contender soon.

Almost everyones gonna have at least a small reach on him, he's a shorter LW for sure, and Barts slow start will only make it worse for him when he gets taken down and smothered for the 1st round and has to come back while it takes way less gas on top making Darabedyan most likely fresher for when it is standing.

I've always thought of Bart as the gatekeeper and his spotty record due to inconsistency is why, he shouldve left his camp a long time ago. And yeah I still think Bart is too sloppy and over anxious like Condit for his own good, perfect fight for an up and comer to show off the crisper striking early on to set up the takedowns and wear him down.

EDIT: With that said I'm passing on the av bet since the idiot judges lost me money on Pettis last time.

Last edited 1/27/10 3:06AM server time by evenflow
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   1/27/10 3:05:05AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Chips:

If I knew about his boxing, judo and grappling creds... then Rob more than likely knew, in fact he even said he commentated his fights in local shows. He just took him lightly and fought tentatively like always has since Varner smoked him and everyone picked him because they did no research. Do you notice he has an excuse after every loss? kinda like a certain team punishment teammate...

I have no room to talk bad about Bart since he's a pro but for the sake of argument he lacks the technique in his striking that just makes me unimpressed in comparison to those premier strikers. Youre right about Darabedyans striking, he's got a lot of work to do on, especially footwork and defense but he has a lot of raw abilities that just need fine tuning and he'll be a contender soon.

Almost everyones gonna have at least a small reach on him, he's a shorter LW for sure, and Barts slow start will only make it worse for him when he gets taken down and smothered for the 1st round and has to come back while it takes way less gas on top making Darabedyan most likely fresher for when it is standing.

I've always thought of Bart as the gatekeeper and his spotty record due to inconsistency is why, he shouldve left his camp a long time ago. And yeah I still think Bart is too sloppy and over anxious like Condit for his own good, perfect fight for an up and comer to show off the crisper striking early on to set up the takedowns and wear him down.

EDIT: With that said I'm passing on the av bet since the idiot judges lost me money on Pettis last time.

Well I'll admit that I'm biased. And I hope Bart doesn't leave his camp, that happens to be where I train.

I can definitely see where you're coming from, especially since Darabedyan is up and coming and Bart has been inconsistent. Another thing is, Bart has had trouble with this kind of fighter before.

However, Darabedyan was all to eager to try and show case his striking against McCullough (sp). That worked for him in that fight but if he tries to do it again I think he'll get himself in some trouble. Bart may not have the best wrestling in the division but if he can hurt Darabedyan he can certainly stop a desperation shot.

Darabedyan's best chance at winning this fight is to get on top early. Like you said, he will be fresher later if he wares on him in the first round. But if he stands and trades and lets Bart settle in, he might not be able to fall back on his grappling later in the fight.

Post #8   1/27/10 3:33:17PM