Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC legend Chuck Liddell eyes four-fight plan, looks forward to proving doubters wrong

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,304-1,218
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
LAS VEGAS – Former UFC champion and MMA legend Chuck Liddell (21-7 MMA, 16-6 UFC) understands that his back is against the wall.

After a stretch of four losses in five fights, Liddell's longtime friend and current boss, UFC president Dana White, doesn't want to see the "Iceman" in the cage again.

But with a rematch with fellow "The Ultimate Fighter 11" coach Tito Ortiz on the horizon, Liddell has his sights set on one more run at the title. And along the way, he hopes to prove all of his doubters – including White – wrong about what he's got left in the tank.

"I don't think I have anything to prove, but I would like to prove [White] wrong," Lidell told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) at Monday's "TUF 11" media day. "I'm not too old. I can still fight.

LINK

Post #1   1/26/10 8:45:40AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
If Favre and Couture can do it, then why can't liddell.

Post #2   1/26/10 10:34:24AM   

Pskinner_mma314

In Full Mount

Pskinner_mma314 Avatar

Career:191-166
Chips:
believe it or not, i think this is a dangerous fight for him, Tito doesnt have great standup, but if........IF he can get Chuck on the ground, Tito does hit hard there, and I also question how hard he hits now, not saying i'd wanna take a punch from him, just wonder if hes got the power to put Tito down again

Post #3   1/26/10 10:34:46AM   

Giant_Ochai

BANNED

Career:433-278
Chips:

Posted by Pskinner_mma314

believe it or not, i think this is a dangerous fight for him, Tito doesnt have great standup, but if........IF he can get Chuck on the ground, Tito does hit hard there, and I also question how hard he hits now, not saying i'd wanna take a punch from him, just wonder if hes got the power to put Tito down again

Power is the one thing that never goes away. I think Liddell is the worst style matchup for Tito and will stop him one more time.

Post #4   1/26/10 10:40:27AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:

Posted by Giant_Ochai

Power is the one thing that never goes away. I think Liddell is the worst style matchup for Tito and will stop him one more time.

Not to mention that Chuck has an EXCELLENT sprawl. Tito is *not* going to get this to the ground.

Post #5   1/26/10 10:42:29AM   

Pskinner_mma314

In Full Mount

Pskinner_mma314 Avatar

Career:191-166
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Giant_Ochai

Not to mention that Chuck has an EXCELLENT sprawl. Tito is *not* going to get this to the ground.

That is precisely why i put the emphasis on IF, I want Chuck to put Tito away one more time and just hang em up

Post #6   1/26/10 10:46:03AM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,543-899
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
I agree with Chuck. I think he still has something left to offer, even if he isn't the fighter he used to be. I for one will love watching him fight as long as he keeps doing it.

I have always been a huge fan of Chuck Liddell and I hope he can make another run at the title, as unlikely as that seems.

Post #7   1/26/10 11:50:02AM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,237-808
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
imo liddell will never be a title contender again. liddells style has kind of been phased out.i think if he had better wrestling it would have carried his career longer like couture

Post #8   1/26/10 12:23:04PM   

BigBadAl

In Full Mount

BigBadAl Avatar

Career:408-321
Chips:

Posted by george112

imo liddell will never be a title contender again. liddells style has kind of been phased out.i think if he had better wrestling it would have carried his career longer like couture

He just doesn't have enough different attributes to contend with the all rounders any more.

Post #9   1/26/10 1:49:18PM   

gsp69

MMA Regular

gsp69 Avatar

Career:505-397
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:
dont think he can b a contender anymor, but def think chuck wil take out tito!
chuck doesnt hav the wrestling that couture does, and his chin is questionable! but def think he will take tito out then maybe coupl mor fights then hang up the gloves n concentrate on coaching!!

Post #10   1/26/10 2:40:27PM   

1daveufc

Standup Guy

1daveufc Avatar

Career:612-433
Camp: East Coast Pitbulls
Chips:
A think chuck will beat tito then he says one more after that so a thinking may be someone like brandon vera or cain.Then if he gets past them he wants a top contender and thats where it gets hard for him people like thiago silva,rampage,evans,little nog,griffin the list just goes on.He has defo got punching power but that is about it now he has lost speed and he is predictable now.A wud like to see Chuck back in the mix so it makes more big fights at LHW but a just dont see it happening.Prove me wrong chuck

WAR LIDDELL

Post #11   1/26/10 3:39:06PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:

Posted by 1daveufc

A think chuck will beat tito then he says one more after that so a thinking may be someone like brandon vera or cain.Then if he gets past them he wants a top contender and thats where it gets hard for him people like thiago silva,rampage,evans,little nog,griffin the list just goes on.He has defo got punching power but that is about it now he has lost speed and he is predictable now.A wud like to see Chuck back in the mix so it makes more big fights at LHW but a just dont see it happening.Prove me wrong chuck

WAR LIDDELL

*After* Vera and Cain it gets hard for him? I disagree. I think Vera *and* Banha beat him.

I love Chuck but I'd be willing to bet the house on the fact that he'll never contend again...and I'm cool with that. He fan fight on the prelims (I know he wouldn't and will not) for all I care. I'll always enjoy his fights.

Post #12   1/26/10 3:48:17PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,494-876
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
If Liddell is planning 4 fights,this is about the only way I can see it happening with Chuck coming out on top the majority of the time:

1. Tito Ortiz. We know this fight is in writing,and though I think the playing field is more level between the 2 now than ever before,I still believe Chuck has got a great shot of winning this.

2. Randy Couture. Why not? It's risky but with Chucks record against couture it will be interesting even if a bit tired to have a 4th bout between these 2.

3. Mark Coleman. Coleman would be a good fight for Liddell. The Ice Man would definently have a good shot of winning this fight.

4. Put him I think in a rematch against Jardine. The first fight was good and without a doubt suprising.

I think this list is being modest for the Iceman even though I think he has a decent shot of winning these bouts.
I think if you put him against really anybody else their just too low on the radar to take the risk,or too high on the pole for Liddell to stand a chance.

Post #13   1/26/10 7:00:41PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,460-1,306
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
no body puts chucky in a corner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i am still on the chuck wagon and if he loses all 4 fights i will still be on the wagon till the very end

Post #14   1/26/10 7:46:00PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:

Posted by prozacnation1978

i am still on the chuck wagon and if he loses all 4 fights i will still be on the wagon till the very end

Amen, brother!

Post #15   1/26/10 7:57:55PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2