Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Rolles: BJJ is the weapon to beat Lesnar

Print  
Posted By Message

RhythmAndStyle

MMA Sensei

RhythmAndStyle Avatar

Career:2,298-1,373
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Gracie family, responsible for the creation of UFC, saw only one of his representatives to fight on the octagon. Although, years after Royce to win 11 fights on the tournament, will be Rolles Gracie’s turn, son of the legend Rolls, to debut on Ultimate.

Link

Post #1   1/21/10 12:45:24PM   

brooklynbadass

MMA Regular

Career:439-288
Chips:
Was this interview with Holles Gracie or Yoda?

Post #2   1/21/10 3:13:51PM   

BeeR

MMA Sensei

BeeR Avatar

Career:681-411
Chips:
written by a half day kindergarten student...........

Post #3   1/21/10 6:37:02PM   

bjj1605

Heavyweight Champ

bjj1605 Avatar

Career:1,481-868
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
The translation on the site is usually pretty terrible. But give them a break, you can get the gist of what he's saying.

Post #4   1/21/10 9:57:28PM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
Frank Mir is probably the best BJJ fighter in the UFC's HW division with Nog being the only one who's close and maybe better. Mir couldn't do **** on the ground with Lesnar in their second fight. Brock isn't new to this anymore he has a bit of experience and knows better than to leave limbs behind.

Post #5   1/21/10 11:26:43PM   

tcunningham

Combat Sport and Fitness

tcunningham Avatar

Career:508-351
Chips:
lesnar seems like hes got BJJ pretty well figured out. hes not using it himself obviously but he can stop it. and when you stop BJJ it gives the fighter a huge chance to ground and pound their opponent, hence the outcome of the the mir lesnar fight

Post #6   1/21/10 11:35:13PM   

DosBox

MMA Regular

DosBox Avatar

Career:906-529
Chips:

Posted by Boo_Radley21

Frank Mir is probably the best BJJ fighter in the UFC's HW division with Nog being the only one who's close and maybe better.

I could see this argument if you are talking about the best BJJ fighter in the UFC HW division AND is also at this point a contender in the HW title picture than yes. However, the overall Rolles Gracie, and Gabriel Gonzaga do have better BJJ than Mir (possibly Nelson) - I would also argue that in strictly no-gi grappling I would choose Rolles and Gonzaga to defeat Mir and Nogueira.

Of course, if you are talking about the best BJJ that applies to MMA from what we have seen so far in every bodies career (which I think is what you are referring to) then Nogueira and Mir would top that list - but I would have Nogueira at #1.

I do feel that BJJ is a great weapon of choice to beat Lesnar, but a complete striker/grappler is the greatest weapon of choice to beat Lesnar. Just on these two attributes alone I like Gonzaga to test him, but his inconsistencies with his performances, and a usually sub-par cardio to go along with it does bode to well.

Nog has boxing to possibly get Brock frustrated to the point he shoots in without thinking - and therefore I would definitely give Nog a chance.

Mir has a good blend of striking/grappling at this point in his career, and I think in the re-match against Lesnar I feel that he got a little too comfortable in that bad of a situation, which is why I would not mind watching a rubber match if Mir dispatches Carwin (but I would consider Brock the favorite going into the 3rd match against Mir).

Post #7   1/22/10 1:41:06AM   

BigBadAl

In Full Mount

BigBadAl Avatar

Career:408-321
Chips:
I think A class striking mixed with good TD defence is the weapon to beat Lesnar.

Post #8   1/22/10 1:38:30PM