Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Joe Rogan: UFC Will Be More Popular Than NFL

Print  
Posted By Message

disorderlyvision

Respect the Battle Axe

disorderlyvision Avatar

Career:1,622-1,122
Chips:
link

Joe Rogan tells the New York Post that the UFC has already become more popular than boxing, and eventually it will surpass football and soccer:

"It's already eclipsed boxing in terms of pay-per-view dollars. The real question is can it eclipse football!? Can it eclipse soccer? I think the answer to that is yes. It's a more exciting sport."

i think it has a long way to go to surpass football.

Post #1   4/12/07 11:47:45AM   

chiefwiggum

MMA Regular

chiefwiggum Avatar

Career:140-72
Camp: whoflungpoo
Chips:
I hope he is talking about America only. I love MMA but there is no way it will ever be more popular than Soccer world wide.

Post #2   4/13/07 5:27:12AM   

Mastodon2

MMA Sensei

Mastodon2 Avatar

Career:188-114
Chips:
It will have to go a long way to go to surpass American football, but it will never surpass soccer on a world wide scale, simply because Soccer is the most played sport in the world. Anyone can play it, anywhere with practically any kind of ball. Kids in brazil who cant afford proper balls play it wil tennis balls.

MMA may beat Boxing, but just like boxing it wont take over American Football or Soccer. It's a lot more exciting than those 2 sports though.

Post #3   4/13/07 7:48:45AM   

hook_tothe_body

Standup Guy

hook_tothe_body Avatar

Career:415-290
Camp: 368
Chips:
Yeah, don't think MMA will pass soccer worldwide. Who knows about American football, though.

But I think Rogan is just saying this stuff because he doesn't watch any other sports besides MMA.

Post #4   4/13/07 11:27:40AM   

ufcbadboy

Learning to Sprawl

ufcbadboy Avatar

Career:184-138
Chips:

Posted by hook_tothe_body

Yeah, don't think MMA will pass soccer worldwide. Who knows about American football, though.

But I think Rogan is just saying this stuff because he doesn't watch any other sports besides MMA.

Do you? Really, how does someone watch a baseball game or football after they have seen a UFC or Pride fight? Not me!! Too boring if you ask me.

Post #5   4/13/07 10:44:50PM   

aznteabagger

In Full Mount

aznteabagger Avatar

Career:618-368
Chips:
no way
it'll never even get close to the popularity of soccer

Post #6   4/14/07 10:14:57AM   

hook_tothe_body

Standup Guy

hook_tothe_body Avatar

Career:415-290
Camp: 368
Chips:

Do you? Really, how does someone watch a baseball game or football after they have seen a UFC or Pride fight? Not me!! Too boring if you ask me.

I hate watching baseball and football period, too boring for me, especially baseball. Put me to sleep.

But I can watch hockey or basketball after watching MMA. I'm not saying basketball or hockey is more exciting than MMA, but I can watch it because I like them and I don't expect the same thing. (Well, in hockey you can punch someone, but you can't tap them out or anything. lol)

But yeah I think Rogan just doesn't watch any other sports, at all, nothing. So, of course he's going to think that MMA is going to be the most popular sport ever.

Post #7   4/14/07 4:52:25PM   

mma_fan_matt

MMA Regular

Career:145-79
Camp: Punishment Athletics
Chips:
As much as I love it, it won't pass football or soccer.

Last edited 4/14/07 8:31PM server time by mma_fan_matt
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   4/14/07 8:29:00PM   

-Virus-

MMA Regular

-Virus- Avatar

Career:90-56
Camp: Punishment Athletics
Chips:
If the sport keeps its popularity over the years and us the fans get old and still love it and the younger people start getting into it like we did i think it will surpass football and soccer in America but soccer worldwide is pretty hard to do

Post #9   4/15/07 4:32:09PM