Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

If Sanchez cut Penn open in the fifth round, would the fight still have been stopped?

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

akhillez

MMA Regular

akhillez Avatar

Career:700-405
Chips:
If the situation had been reversed, do you think the fight would been stopped or would it have continued for another two minutes and a half? Penn won each round comfortably and was on his way to getting a decision victory. But since Penn is the champ and was in the lead, I wonder if they would have let him finish the match since that was a nasty cut.

Or what if this happened in the third or fourth round when it was apparent that Sanchez could not mount any offense, but it was too dangerous to continue fighting with that gash? Either the doctor stops it in favor of Sanchez or they fight on but that would not be a safe solution.

As somebody pointed out below, if a cut is caused by an illegal strike then the fight is usually ruled a No Contest. However, if more than half the fight has elapsed, we would go to the judges' scorecards for a decision instead.

I know that this is a hypothetical question, but I am wondering about the precedent that it sets. Otherwise, anybody losing a title fight could try to cut their opponent so that the fight is stopped and perhaps they have better luck in the rematch.

Last edited 1/19/10 12:23AM server time by akhillez
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #1   1/18/10 9:10:35PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,409-1,229
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
It wouldn't have been a No Contest since it was a legal blow; but it is an interesting question if it would've been stopped as a 5th round TKO for Diego if it had been reversed.

I get the feeling it would've continued or at least had a much better chance to; but you never know since it's just one ringside doctor, not the promotion, making the call.

Post #2   1/18/10 9:20:10PM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,553-840
Chips:
Hard to say from one state to another what would happen there. Pretty much depends on which doctor is at ring side. One thing is for sure though; if Sanchez stopped BJ via cut in the 5th (or any other round for that matter) after taking the sustained ass whoopin' that he did they would have an immediate rematch and BJ would simply take his belt back.

Last edited 1/18/10 9:23PM server time by bojangalz
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   1/18/10 9:22:24PM   

akhillez

MMA Regular

akhillez Avatar

Career:700-405
Chips:

Posted by bojangalz

Hard to say from one state to another what would happen there. Pretty much depends on which doctor is at ring side. One thing is for sure though; if Sanchez stopped BJ via cut in the 5th (or any other round for that matter) after taking the sustained ass whoopin' that he did they would have an immediate rematch and BJ would simply take his belt back.

Yeah, there's no doubt that Penn would win a rematch anyway, but I'm just wondering if the champ gets anyway leeway here. Pretty much any non-title fight would have been stopped if that same cut occurred because it was quite brutal.

This sort of reminds me of the Florian-Sherk title fight when Sherk got cut open with a nasty elbow but it was safe enough to continue. I believe that this situation has to be resolved on a case-by-case basis and it also depends on the ringside doctor like you said. Championship bouts merit special consideration I would think.

But it would have been hard to sell a Sanchez-Penn rematch if Penn was the one who got cut at the end, unless you really disliked Sanchez and wanted to see him get brutalized again

Post #4   1/18/10 9:42:49PM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
Good question man. If it had happened that way, and it did get stopped in the fifth due to Penn getting cut there probably would have been a hell of a lot of controversy over that about "letting the champ fight" and "you gotta beat the champ" hahaha. It would make sense to let the champ fight those last two minutes in a lead as big as BJ had but that was a nasty cut and Diego wasn't winning that fight lol.

Post #5   1/19/10 12:06:35AM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,510-1,592
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Yes, If the docs see bone....you've lost.

Post #6   1/19/10 12:42:22AM   

chickmagnet

MMA Sensei

chickmagnet Avatar

Career:529-344
Camp: The Pit
Chips:
A very big IF, Diego hardly got close to hitting BJ.

Post #7   1/19/10 12:56:38AM   

KaibaThedon

T H E D O N

KaibaThedon Avatar

Career:1,656-890
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

this pretty much sums it up. lol

WW: Rush, Natural Born Killer, Ares, Hitman, Maia
LW: Jim Miller, Smooth, Khabib Eagle
FW: Aldo, Do Bronx, Answer
BW: Cruz, Mayday, One Punch, Barao

Post #8   1/19/10 2:17:46AM   

AchillesHeel

Heavyweight Champ

AchillesHeel Avatar

Career:845-448
Chips:

Posted by akhillez

Otherwise, anybody losing a title fight could try to cut their opponent so that the fight is stopped and perhaps they have better luck in the rematch.

I think trying to cut your opponent is a legitimate tactic, and isn't gamesmanship, unless what you really mean is, "anybody losing a fight could try to cheat so that the fight is stopped." I don't think that's a big concern in MMA, though; less so than in other professional sports, it seems to me.

Post #9   1/19/10 8:20:27AM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by akhillez

Otherwise, anybody losing a title fight could try to cut their opponent so that the fight is stopped and perhaps they have better luck in the rematch.

I think trying to cut your opponent is a legitimate tactic, and isn't gamesmanship, unless what you really mean is, "anybody losing a fight could try to cheat so that the fight is stopped." I don't think that's a big concern in MMA, though; less so than in other professional sports, it seems to me.

It sounds dirty but you gotta finish any way you can. If someone like Florian can bust you up with elbows so be it lol.

Post #10   1/19/10 9:31:09AM   

karn501

In Full Mount

karn501 Avatar

Career:134-103
Chips:
that's a huge if has bj ever even been cut I can't remember but I know I've seen him take a beating and look like he just came from a spa or something as soon as the fight was over but if diego cut him that bad I would say it would be stopped that was a nasty cut

Post #11   1/19/10 11:32:08AM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by chickmagnet

That's why its a hypothetical question.

Post #12   1/19/10 8:53:28PM   

chickmagnet

MMA Sensei

chickmagnet Avatar

Career:529-344
Camp: The Pit
Chips:

Posted by warglory

Posted by chickmagnet

That's why its a hypothetical question.

Well yeah, I think the cut was icing on the cake anyway. Diego was on the recieving end of the most one sided slaughter Ive ever seen, after seeing him get mauled the refs needed to stop the fight somehow..

Post #13   1/21/10 1:44:43PM   

mmapunch

Learning to Sprawl

Career:-
Chips:
i got to imagine with a cut that nasty they would have ended it. i was in the arena and you could see it form the upper bowl!

Post #14   1/21/10 5:01:04PM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,337-741
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by jae_1833

That's not always true. What about Jon Madsen vs Abe Wagner on TUF 10.

Post #15   1/21/10 5:07:49PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2