Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Diego Sanchez Contemplating Return To 170

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

RhythmAndStyle

MMA Sensei

RhythmAndStyle Avatar

Career:2,537-1,517
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Diego "Nightmare" Sanchez has heavy things weighing on his mind.Heavy in the sense of what weight class he will next compete in. The New Mexico native on Sunday night left a somewhat cryptic message via his Facebook page stating "going back up to 170."When contacted by MMAWeekly.com, Jeff Clark, Sanchez's manager, indicated that there has been no official decision made at this time about what weight class he will compete in next.

Link

Last edited 1/18/10 1:27PM server time by ncordless
Edit note/reason: spelling of title

Post #1   1/18/10 11:28:19AM   

MiniMan

Standup Guy

MiniMan Avatar

Career:38-27
Chips:
Bad move, Another good fighter stuck in a division with a GREAT champion... At 155 or 170...

Like Jon Fitch, Kenny Florian, Rich Franklin, Thiago Alves, Joe Daddy, Cut a long story short, All 155's 170's and 185's!!
War BJ, GSP, A. SILVA

Post #2   1/18/10 11:33:36AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
The facebook doesnt lie.

Diego looked his smallest against BJ, he looked pretty big against Stevenson. So he is going to have to put on some good muscle for a return to WW.

Post #3   1/18/10 11:36:25AM   

emfleek

- > THUG LIFE < -

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,386-1,258
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
"going back up to 170"

Sorry, but did I miss the "cryptic" part? He clearly says that he's moving back up to 170. What's so cryptic about it?

Last edited 1/18/10 11:45AM server time by emfleek
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #4   1/18/10 11:42:38AM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
**** why would he do that? So he can get beat just as bad if not worse by GSP? I still wanna see him fight Spencer Fisher, Gray Maynard, Florian, Diaz, Huerta if he ever comes back. There are more fights for him at LW he should stay there.

Post #5   1/18/10 11:51:31AM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:
I LOVE IT!!!

I always said he would give GSP a hell of a fight just for the fact he stays so busy, he's so aggressive, and good(even though not great) whereever the fight goes. He just keeps throwing and coming at you so it would be interesting to see how GSP deals with somebodies who not going to sit there and let him just dictate the pace and let him tear them apart. Diego will go right at him and GSP doesn't have near the boxing that BJ has that would pick him apart. So it's not like GSP would dominate him as bad as BJ did. Worst case scenario, GSP grinds out another decision over him because I don't see him submitting Diego or being able to hold him down long enough to stop him. The move thing I critized about the drop down was Diego lost his speed advantage that he had over everybody at 170 because he could just keep coming and coming and be to fast with his pitbull style but he lost that advantage at 155 so BJ was able to pick him apart easy. And Diego was never even remotely hurt at 170 because guys weren't as fast as him so they couldn't pick him apart as easy as BJ. Styles make fights and all I'm saying is Diego's style stands a better chance against GSP then it does against BJ as crazy as it sounds, but styles make fights.

Not to mention so many exciting match ups for him that would produce some more sick FOTY candidates. I just wish he would have rematch Kenny before the move back up but I love the move back up. This its better for him with his speed.

Post #6   1/18/10 1:18:17PM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:

Posted by NatedawgThaM

I LOVE IT!!!

I always said he would give GSP a hell of a fight just for the fact he stays so busy, he's so aggressive, and good(even though not great) whereever the fight goes. He just keeps throwing and coming at you so it would be interesting to see how GSP deals with somebodies who not going to sit there and let him just dictate the pace and let him tear them apart. Diego will go right at him and GSP doesn't have near the boxing that BJ has that would pick him apart. So it's not like GSP would dominate him as bad as BJ did. Worst case scenario, GSP grinds out another decision over him because I don't see him submitting Diego or being able to hold him down long enough to stop him. The move thing I critized about the drop down was Diego lost his speed advantage that he had over everybody at 170 because he could just keep coming and coming and be to fast with his pitbull style but he lost that advantage at 155 so BJ was able to pick him apart easy. And Diego was never even remotely hurt at 170 because guys weren't as fast as him so they couldn't pick him apart as easy as BJ. Styles make fights and all I'm saying is Diego's style stands a better chance against GSP then it does against BJ as crazy as it sounds, but styles make fights.

Not to mention so many exciting match ups for him that would produce some more sick FOTY candidates. I just wish he would have rematch Kenny before the move back up but I love the move back up. This its better for him with his speed.

I see what you're saying but really what is there for him at WW that would be more interesting than anyone in the top 10 in LW?

He already got beat by Koscheck and Fitch in boring fights, and other than that I guess there's Swick, Hardy and Daley, but I am not as excited for any of those fights as I am for anyone he could fight at LW. And as for GSP not dominating him as bad as BJ, he may not rough him up on the feet as bad as Penn did but I really can't see Sanchez avoiding the takedowns.

Koscheck, Fitch, Alves, Hughes all got taken down at will by St. Pierre and those guys have some of the best takedown defense in the division, mainly because three of them are really good wrestlers. Hughes isn't the best in the world or anything but his wrestling is still great and St. Pierre made him look almost amateur. I just really can't see Sanchez standing a chance against GSP.

EDIT: And I know that MMAth isn't supposed to work haha but Sanchez was defeated by Fitch, Koscheck and Penn, and GSP dominated all three of them with takedowns, gnp and good striking. If Diego couldn't beat any of those guys can we realistically say he could beat St. Pierre? Again, I know MMAth shouldn't be trusted but this one is a little more logical IMO.

Last edited 1/18/10 1:29PM server time by Boo_Radley21
Edit note/reason: n/a
2 total post edits

Post #7   1/18/10 1:27:29PM   

NatedawgThaM

MMA Sensei

NatedawgThaM Avatar

Career:676-444
Chips:

Posted by Boo_Radley21

Posted by NatedawgThaM

I LOVE IT!!!

I see what you're saying but really what is there for him at WW that would be more interesting than anyone in the top 10 in LW?

He already got beat by Koscheck and Fitch in boring fights, and other than that I guess there's Swick, Hardy and Daley, but I am not as excited for any of those fights as I am for anyone he could fight at LW. And as for GSP not dominating him as bad as BJ, he may not rough him up on the feet as bad as Penn did but I really can't see Sanchez avoiding the takedowns.

Koscheck, Fitch, Alves, Hughes all got taken down at will by St. Pierre and those guys have some of the best takedown defense in the division, mainly because three of them are really good wrestlers. Hughes isn't the best in the world or anything but his wrestling is still great and St. Pierre made him look almost amateur. I just really can't see Sanchez standing a chance against GSP.

EDIT: And I know that MMAth isn't supposed to work haha but Sanchez was defeated by Fitch, Koscheck and Penn, and GSP dominated all three of them with takedowns, gnp and good striking. If Diego couldn't beat any of those guys can we realistically say he could beat St. Pierre? Again, I know MMAth shouldn't be trusted but this one is a little more logical IMO.

I dont wanna make any excuses but I kinda wanna see Kos-Diego 3 since the word thats around is Diego was coming off a very bad staph infection so that could have took alot of energy out of him so maybe the 3rd fight could be different? I'm just curious to see if it was just an excuse or if its the real. Plus both have gotten alot better since that fight, both have been in more exciting fights since that was Kos's first stand up fight. Idk, I think the 3rd fight could be pretty damn sick actually.

And when I say he never stops moving or coming after you, that means off his back too. He won't stop moving and after the Fitch fight he started training with some sick world class grapplers and he already had Fitch in a few bad spots. Diego might not have the best wrestling or BJJ, but he has amazing transitions not to mention he's so fast and has pretty good wrestling & BJJ so it'll be hard to keep him in the same spot on his back without being in danger quite a few times.

I'm just saying he has a better chance against GSP then BJ even though as little as that is. He probably won't win but I don't think he'll be as beatdown as he was against BJ. Either division he has some sick match ups in store for him so as long as we get some sick fights out of it, I'm satisfied. He probably won't win the title either way but either way were damn sure too have some more Sanchez-Guida caliber fights in store and I'm pumped!!!

Post #8   1/18/10 1:51:54PM   

Giant_Ochai

BANNED

Career:433-278
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

"going back up to 170"

Sorry, but did I miss the "cryptic" part? He clearly says that he's moving back up to 170. What's so cryptic about it?

Haha could be talking about kilograms

Post #9   1/18/10 2:34:26PM   

emfleek

- > THUG LIFE < -

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,386-1,258
Chips:

Posted by Giant_Ochai

Posted by emfleek

"going back up to 170"

Haha could be talking about kilograms

Post #10   1/18/10 2:36:12PM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:2,644-1,421
Chips:
Well I guess he hasn't fought GSP yet, so there is still a fight for him at WW, but if he couldn't beat BJ @ 155, he won't beat GSP @ 170. It's probably just because there are more big $$$ fights for him @ WW.

Post #11   1/18/10 3:02:25PM   

RhythmAndStyle

MMA Sensei

RhythmAndStyle Avatar

Career:2,537-1,517
Chips:
i think most of us can agree here that Sanchez will have more interestin fights at LW..KenFlo part 2,Maynard,Tyson Griffin,Frankie Edgar..even a battle with Sean Sherk with be more interestin than any match i can think of for Sanchez in WW...

Post #12   1/18/10 3:31:46PM   

Giant_Ochai

BANNED

Career:433-278
Chips:

Posted by RhythmAndStyle

i think most of us can agree here that Sanchez will have more interestin fights at LW..KenFlo part 2,Maynard,Tyson Griffin,Frankie Edgar..even a battle with Sean Sherk with be more interestin than any match i can think of for Sanchez in WW...

Sanchez vs. Florian 2 has to happen.

Post #13   1/18/10 3:43:05PM   

CwB

MMA Sensei

CwB Avatar

Career:221-151
Chips:
I think the realization of his two word Destiny, has set in that he wont become champ at 155 he hasnt fought GSP yet and maybe he believes his destiny awaits him there... Not gonna happen.

Post #14   1/18/10 3:44:58PM   

Pookie

Remember Paul Herrera

Pookie Avatar

Career:1,951-1,087
Chips:
LOL did anybody else laugh when they read the headline?

Post #15   1/18/10 5:07:04PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2