Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

UFC middleweight Dan Miller awarded Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt

Print  
Posted By Message

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,304-1,218
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
After just four years of training in the art, top UFC middleweight contender Dan Miller (11-2 MMA, 3-1 UFC) was today awarded his black belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu.

The 28-year-old was awarded the ranking during today's practice session at AMA Fight Club by his instructor, Jamie Cruz, himself a Renzo Gracie black belt.

AMA Fight Club's Mike Constantino today shared news of Miller's promotion with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

A competent wrestler after a lifetime of training in the sport, Miller has quickly adapted to the jiu-jitsu game. The middleweight counts seven of his 11 career wins by submission.

LINK

Post #1   1/15/10 4:44:02PM   

KaibaThedon

T H E D O N

KaibaThedon Avatar

Career:1,729-924
Camp: Canadian Power Team
Chips:
congrats to dan miller!!

can't wait to see him fight maia!! grappling duel

WW: Rush, Natural Born Killer, Ares, Hitman, Maia
LW: Jim Miller, Smooth, Khabib Eagle
FW: Aldo, Do Bronx, Answer
BW: Cruz, Mayday, One Punch, Barao

Post #2   1/15/10 5:01:51PM   

CwB

MMA Sensei

CwB Avatar

Career:221-151
Chips:
MIllers black belt < Damiens Black Belt

Post #3   1/15/10 5:07:43PM   

FlashyG

Heavyweight Champ

FlashyG Avatar

Career:2,275-1,280
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by CwB

I doubt anyone would argue with you there, but Millers Wrestling > than Demians as is his striking.

This should be a good scrap. Its been a while since there's been a match-up I've been this pumped for.

Post #4   1/15/10 5:48:24PM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:2,441-1,325
Chips:
I think Maia is still going to school him, should be interesting.

Post #5   1/15/10 7:05:28PM   

RhythmAndStyle

MMA Sensei

RhythmAndStyle Avatar

Career:2,376-1,419
Chips:
waddup with all these fighters getting their black belts so fast..first R. Evans..and now Dan Miller..i think guys are getting their b.j.j. too fast..i'm NOT sayin Miller doesn't deserve it..he's on another level compared to Evans who never tired a submission attempt in his career..but i think b.j.j. are given out too quick..i know some guys who been doin it for 10+ years and still don't have theirs..IMO b.j.j. belts are starting to be given out to easily like karate belts...

Post #6   1/16/10 1:53:12AM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:

Posted by RhythmAndStyle

waddup with all these fighters getting their black belts so fast..first R. Evans..and now Dan Miller..i think guys are getting their b.j.j. too fast..i'm NOT sayin Miller doesn't deserve it..he's on another level compared to Evans who never tired a submission attempt in his career..but i think b.j.j. are given out too quick..i know some guys who been doin it for 10+ years and still don't have theirs..IMO b.j.j. belts are starting to be given out to easily like karate belts...

the reason i disagree with this is because you have to take into account the years of wrestling pedigrees in both of the examples you listed. Wrestlers pick up JJ very quickly, and if they are doing nothing but training with the very best in the business, they are going to develop skills extremely fast, especially since they are gifted athletes. Rashad's lack of sub attempts in MMA has no relation to his JJ ability and shouldn't factor into his getting a black belt. the fact is, MMA and JJ are two different animals; yeah there are elements of JJ used in MMA, but it is just two different worlds.we don't know how Rashad looks when he is rolling, maybe he is beating blackbelts (which i think he is) because he did something to impress a Gracie enough to give him a Black Belt.

Post #7   1/16/10 2:19:02AM   

Giant_Ochai

BANNED

Career:433-278
Chips:

Posted by FlashyG

Posted by CwB

I doubt anyone would argue with you there, but Millers Wrestling > than Demians as is his striking.

This should be a good scrap. Its been a while since there's been a match-up I've been this pumped for.

Sonnen's wrestling is light years ahead of Maia, but Maia flung him and subbed him. Miller's going to need a KO shot or some seriously tight ground control.

Post #8   1/16/10 4:52:13AM   

sclasclemski

Belt Contender

sclasclemski Avatar

Career:425-289
Camp: THE 486
Chips:
I love both the Miller Bros...but in this one I think Maia comes back strong and Dan's new belt probably won't help...good luck Dan but I"m picking against you this time.

Post #9   1/16/10 3:24:42PM