Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

James Irvin vs. Alessio Sakara At UFC On Verse

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

RhythmAndStyle

MMA Sensei

RhythmAndStyle Avatar

Career:2,369-1,414
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
It was announced on MMAWeekly last week that James "Sandman" Irvin was returning in March, and now he has a date and an opponent. American Top Team fighter, Alessio Sakara, has been tapped to face the former WEC champion in a middleweight bout for the UFC on Versus card on March 21.The bout was confirmed to MMAWeekly.com by sources close to the fight who indicated bout agreements have been issued at this point.

Link

Post #1   1/15/10 12:54:03AM   

kevietre

Belt Contender

kevietre Avatar

Career:666-469
Chips:
This fight prob. won't make the televised card but it should be because someone is going to get KNOCKED OUT. (prob sakara )

Post #2   1/15/10 1:26:01AM   

karn501

In Full Mount

karn501 Avatar

Career:134-103
Chips:
awesome fight Irvin should take this one but I don't know he hasn't fought since his loss to silva over a year ago

Post #3   1/15/10 1:36:26AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,787-1,542
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
If Irvin can avoid injury until the fight, he should take this.

Post #4   1/15/10 2:42:24AM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:
I'm pumped for Irvin's return! He's a beast when he's healthy and I think this is a perfect fight back for him!

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #5   1/15/10 7:13:41AM   

matt_black

MMA Regular

matt_black Avatar

Career:467-269
Chips:
Irvin at middleweight? Is this the first time he's made the cut?

Post #6   1/15/10 8:05:15AM   

joshjr

Josh "The Babyface Assassin"

joshjr Avatar

Career:538-351
Camp: MMA Weekly
Chips:

Posted by kevietre

This fight prob. won't make the televised card but it should be because someone is going to get KNOCKED OUT. (prob sakara )

Yeah right. This should be an easy fight for Sakara. I see him winning for sure. Irvin has never impressed me very much.

Post #7   1/15/10 10:24:05AM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:2,420-1,317
Chips:
I'm not really sure what the deal is with all the Irvin love here....Sakara is a former pro boxer and this will be Irvin's first cut to MW. I have a feeling he is getting KO'd.

Post #8   1/15/10 10:49:41AM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,296-1,214
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by xdanish020

Sakara is a former pro boxer

He was a former pro boxer when he got TKO'd by Leben, too. I'm not saying that he will get KO'd, but the "he's a former pro boxer" argument holds no weight whatsoever, in my opinion.

Last edited 1/15/10 11:04AM server time by emfleek
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #9   1/15/10 10:58:54AM   

NeaRMisS

MMA Regular

Career:69-53
Chips:

Posted by xdanish020

I'm not really sure what the deal is with all the Irvin love here....Sakara is a former pro boxer and this will be Irvin's first cut to MW. I have a feeling he is getting KO'd.

Former means no longer, and he has been pretty worked by people that weren't pro boxers. (Leben)

I see trouble in the air for Alessio.

Post #10   1/15/10 11:06:27AM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by xdanish020

He was a former pro boxer when he got TKO'd by Leben, too. I'm not saying that he will get KO'd, but the "he's a former pro boxer" argument holds no weight whatsoever, in my opinion.

He'll always be a former pro boxer....

Leben is a bad example though, he has HEAVY hands and a rock solid chin. Irvin has heavy hands, but his chin is nothing like Leben's and Sakara has looked good in his past couple fights. Very impressed w/ his BJJ sub defense....even though this fight prob won't hit the mat, the only advantage Irvin has is his power, technically Sakara is a better striker. Sakara has lost to some heavy handed strikers (Leben, Houston, McFedries)...so it's possible he loses to Leben, I just don't see it happening after Irvin's first cut to MW.

I've never been too high on the guy, but up against Irvin, I'm taking the former pro boxer over the brawler.

Last edited 1/15/10 11:40AM server time by xdanish020
2 total post edits

Post #11   1/15/10 11:32:23AM   

SmileR

Buy the ticket, take the ride

SmileR Avatar

Career:1,284-761
Chips:

Posted by xdanish020

Posted by emfleek

Posted by xdanish020

Leben is a bad example though, he has HEAVY hands and a rock solid chin. Irvin has heavy hands, but his chin is nothing like Leben's and Sakara has looked good in his past couple fights. Very impressed w/ his BJJ sub defense....even though this fight prob won't hit the mat, the only advantage Irvin has is his power, technically Sakara is a better striker. Sakara has lost to some heavy handed strikers (Leben, Houston, McFedries)...so it's possible he loses to Leben, I just don't see it happening after Irvin's first cut to MW.

I've never been too high on the guy, but up against Irvin, I'm taking the former pro boxer over the brawler.

Dude come on!! Irvin is 10X the striker Sakara is. His Muay Thai is better than Thaigo Silva's which was being proved until he blew his knee out. The guy has just had a run of serious bad luck.
Also Irvin has a SOLID chin. He's only ever been KO'd twice and one was a perfect punch from Anderson Silva and the other was a wild shot in his UFC debut. Sakara lost to people who push forward because he isn't a good counter fighter.
He'll be fighting a guy who not only attacks and pushes the pace he'll also have to deal with kicks that hurt LHW's and his unreal Muay Thai. Sakara is a tough guy but Irvin is on another level. Calling Irvin a brawler is a joke!! People just seam to bash him because of his recent loss to Silva and the fact that he lost to Thaigo Silva too.
I say re-watch his fights even his loss to Thaigo and see if you call him a brawler. The guy has sick striking and a solid ground game. I think he'll be a contender at MW if he can keep healthy.

I was born to lead, not to read!!!!

Post #12   1/15/10 12:13:04PM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by SmileR

Posted by xdanish020

Posted by emfleek

Posted by xdanish020

Dude come on!! Irvin is 10X the striker Sakara is. His Muay Thai is better than Thaigo Silva's which was being proved until he blew his knee out. The guy has just had a run of serious bad luck.
Also Irvin has a SOLID chin. He's only ever been KO'd twice and one was a perfect punch from Anderson Silva and the other was a wild shot in his UFC debut. Sakara lost to people who push forward because he isn't a good counter fighter.
He'll be fighting a guy who not only attacks and pushes the pace he'll also have to deal with kicks that hurt LHW's and his unreal Muay Thai. Sakara is a tough guy but Irvin is on another level. Calling Irvin a brawler is a joke!! People just seam to bash him because of his recent loss to Silva and the fact that he lost to Thaigo Silva too.
I say re-watch his fights even his loss to Thaigo and see if you call him a brawler. The guy has sick striking and a solid ground game. I think he'll be a contender at MW if he can keep healthy.

I disagree with a lot of this but I'm at work and don't have time to disect your post. I should have stopped reading after you said Irvin is 10x the striker Sakara is.....LOL and has better MT than Thiago Silva? Negative.

Post #13   1/15/10 12:28:43PM   

Mayhem13

MMA Sensei

Mayhem13 Avatar

Career:2,148-1,273
Camp: Team Sakara Eye Punch
Chips:
Irvin will gas in the first, and get TKO'd sometime after that.

Post #14   1/15/10 12:44:57PM   

RhythmAndStyle

MMA Sensei

RhythmAndStyle Avatar

Career:2,369-1,414
Chips:
please stop making that "former boxing pro/exp"..that's the same thing people said bout Marcus Davis..and he got rock-n-drop by Hardy,Saunders..and he got drop by Paul Taylor before pullin off the armbar..oh,btw Sakara got KO'd by McFedries & Houston Alexander..and don't try to say "oh their heavy handed thou"..cause then your "pro boxing" argument holds no credibilty..it doesn't matter if you were former golden glove like Jamie Varner..anyone can get drop with those 4oz gloves..and James Irvin has beat better opponents than Sakara has...

Last edited 1/15/10 1:18PM server time by rhythmandstyle

Post #15   1/15/10 1:17:06PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2