Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Report: Kenny Florian vs Takanori Gomi Possible for UFC Fight Night 22

Print  
Posted By Message

RhythmAndStyle

MMA Sensei

RhythmAndStyle Avatar

Career:2,385-1,434
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Takanori Gomi could make his UFC debut against unsuccessful lightweight challenger Kenny Florian at UFC Fight Night 22, Fighters Only was told this week. The event takes place in North Carolina on March 31st.

Link

Post #1   1/13/10 1:12:51AM   

EvenFlow

banned

EvenFlow Avatar

Career:432-232
Chips:
The people Gomi's fought recently isnt going to get him ready for a guy like Kenny. This fight makes no sense at all other than to get Kenny a win and make Gomi look bad in his debut. I cant believe this fight is coming up so much. Sounds like the Zuffa boys wanna ruin Gomi for not signing in 2007 to unify the belts. It reminds me of that Pride vs UFC crap that happened when Pride folded and thier general distain for Pride fighters at that point for being their competitor.

Gomi vs Fisher/Stephens/Stout was there for them and they wanna make this...cmon.

Last edited 1/13/10 4:01AM server time by EvenFlow
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #2   1/13/10 3:57:01AM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,649-899
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Florian's been gunning for Gomi forever. Gomi's looking for the fast track to a title shot.

It'll be interesting to see if Gomi can keep Florian at a distance and turn this into a fight built on who has the superior striking. If he can notch a victory over Florian, he will not be far off a shot at Penn, like he desires. (I got Florian though.)

Post #3   1/13/10 4:28:21AM   

IriShame

In Full Mount

IriShame Avatar

Career:558-331
Chips:

Posted by EvenFlow

The people Gomi's fought recently isnt going to get him ready for a guy like Kenny. This fight makes no sense at all other than to get Kenny a win and make Gomi look bad in his debut. I cant believe this fight is coming up so much. Sounds like the Zuffa boys wanna ruin Gomi for not signing in 2007 to unify the belts. It reminds me of that Pride vs UFC crap that happened when Pride folded and thier general distain for Pride fighters at that point for being their competitor.

Gomi vs Fisher/Stephens/Stout was there for them and they wanna make this...cmon.

I totally agree. They're throwing him to the wolves here. Why not try to build him up and have a legimately marketable japanese star?

Post #4   1/13/10 5:16:25AM   

Jimbo

Standup Guy

Jimbo Avatar

Career:702-408
Camp: The Vuttholios
Chips:
i hope Gomi stomps Florian into the ground.

Post #5   1/13/10 5:58:38AM   

StriderXero

Standup Guy

StriderXero Avatar

Career:88-80
Chips:
though Gomi prolly isn't the same fighter as before, Gomi could definately win this fight standing up. If he's able to scramble well enough, he could win this fight.

I think Kenny will still take this, but wont be suprised at all with Gomi with the W.

I'm willing to bet that they want to give Kenny a title shot at Boston.

I'm hoping Gomi gets a mid lvl guy first. I dont think they should throw this guy into the front line so quickly. They should build him up first.

Post #6   1/13/10 8:23:36AM   

State_Champ

MMA Sensei

State_Champ Avatar

Career:1,474-877
Camp: The Evil Empire
Chips:

Posted by EvenFlow

I actually think that the UFC is doing this to hopefully make Gomi an instant contender for BJ's title.

Post #7   1/13/10 10:03:51AM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,817-1,549
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by State_Champ

Posted by EvenFlow

I actually think that the UFC is doing this to hopefully make Gomi an instant contender for BJ's title.

I think it's a pay thing. When a guy comes in with a decent paycheck, they make him earn his keep.

Post #8   1/13/10 10:12:12AM   

DCRage

Representin' The MA's

DCRage Avatar

Career:978-738
Chips:
According to Florian, False.

Article

Post #9   1/13/10 10:44:28AM