Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

WEC Quick Quote: Urijah Faber feels he has the 'edge' over Jose Aldo

Print  
Posted By Message

ThaAxeMurderer7

MMA Sensei

ThaAxeMurderer7 Avatar

Career:1,277-814
Chips:
First off, you have to be able to match his speed, which I know I can do. Just be wary of all his tools. He's got some really dangerous tools. Stand up, he's got those low leg kicks that open things up for him. He's got the knees that seem to reach people's faces very, very easily, and he's got really fast, powerful hands. So I'll be aware of that, have good defense, and be ready to throw my own heavy punches and be able to dictate where the fight goes with takedowns. And I feel like, even though he's a black belt, I feel like I still have the grappling edge."

Urijah Faber sat down with Pro MMA Radio this past Monday (Jan. 11) to discuss his upcoming title fight with the young and dangerous WEC featherweight champion Jose Aldo.

Link

Post #1   1/12/10 2:04:21PM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:2,658-1,424
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Aldo is going to hurt him if he stands and trades.

Post #2   1/12/10 3:54:26PM   

kasual

MMA Regular

kasual Avatar

Career:353-201
Camp: HERO SQUAD
Chips:
Urijah is going to get popped. His stand-up looked only half way decent against Brown, Aldo's superior striking is going to leave him in a world of trouble. Shades of Cub Swanson here.

Post #3   1/12/10 4:32:26PM   

RhythmAndStyle

MMA Sensei

RhythmAndStyle Avatar

Career:2,550-1,521
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Aldo gonna do to Faber,what Tyson Griffin did to him..end of story..next...

Post #4   1/12/10 5:00:42PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by kasual

Urijah is going to get popped. His stand-up looked only half way decent against Brown, Aldo's superior striking is going to leave him in a world of trouble. Shades of Cub Swanson here.

You're comparing Urijah Fader to Cub Swanson?

Post #5   1/12/10 5:31:21PM   

WheelchairBandit

Standup Guy

WheelchairBandit Avatar

Career:667-394
Camp: MMAForReal.com
Chips:
Faber is gonna get that pretty face of his all messed up.He should just go to 135 now and save himself the trouble.

Speaking of which-did you see the size difference between Aldo and Faber when they were in the cage together?Looks like Aldo is a good 4-5 inches taller than Faber.

Brian.

Post #6   1/12/10 5:38:13PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,321-858
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
I dont think faber has the edge.

However i do think he is going to give Aldo some problems to deal with

Urijah is right when he says he can match Aldos speed.coupled with his unorthodox style its going to be a very interesting fight

I wouldnt be suprised to see Urijah win this one.neither would i be suprised if Aldo wins.

Post #7   1/12/10 5:57:18PM   

gartface

Heavyweight Champ

gartface Avatar

Career:1,406-898
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by george112

I dont think faber has the edge.

However i do think he is going to give Aldo some problems to deal with

Urijah is right when he says he can match Aldos speed.coupled with his unorthodox style its going to be a very interesting fight

I wouldnt be suprised to see Urijah win this one.neither would i be suprised if Aldo wins.

I agree with you. It's not so much he has an edge, it's the match up. Urijah choked out Assuncao, so I would say he could possibly have the edge on the ground. The quickness might be even.

I've been waiting for this match up and can't wait

Post #8   1/12/10 7:33:10PM   

ncordless

MODulation

ncordless Avatar

Career:1,958-1,117
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by gartface

Urijah choked out Assuncao, so I would say he could possibly have the edge on the ground. The quickness might be even.

Maybe, although Aldo did beat Cobrinha in his short bjj career so I think we have not seen anywhere close to the top of Aldo's ground game.

As far as speed goes, I have been rewatching the old fights for both. I don't think it is that close and think it will show in the fight. Faber is very quick, but Aldo is the quickest fighter in mma and is a lot more accurate.

As far as the comparison of Faber to Swanson, I think it is fair in that if Faber keeps ducking in like he did against Assuncao, he is going to get his face peeled off just like Cub did. It is not that Faber and Cub are on the same level, but rather that Faber was doing something in his stand-up that Cub did when he got wtfpwned.

Post #9   1/12/10 10:11:15PM   

EvenFlow

banned

EvenFlow Avatar

Career:432-232
Chips:
Assuncao is a Blackbelt but I'd say Aldo's is better, and with that...what exactly is Urijahs edge, WEC experience?

Aldo via TKO round 1

Post #10   1/12/10 10:16:29PM