Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Urijah Faber vs. Jose Aldo coming soon ... possibly WEC on PPV?

Print  
Posted By Message

ThaAxeMurderer7

MMA Sensei

ThaAxeMurderer7 Avatar

Career:1,277-814
Chips:
Urijah Faber rolled into Sacramento on Sunday night and proceeded to roll through Raphael Assuncao at WEC 46: "Varner vs. Henderson," finishing the super talented Brazilian with a third round rear naked choke.

Not only did "The California Kid" pick up a "must" win and a $10,000 bonus check, but he also earned an opportunity to fight WEC Featherweight Champion, Jose Aldo, in the very near future.

WEC General Manager Reed Harris made the announcement during the WEC 46 post-fight press conference.

It's an opportunity, as Faber put it, "to get his belt back." And he may get the chance to do it in front of a pay-per-view (PPV) audience, which would mark the first foray for the promotion into the paid arena after a successful run on the Versus network.

Link

Post #1   1/11/10 2:37:55AM   

EvenFlow

banned

EvenFlow Avatar

Career:432-232
Chips:
I think it's funny how they (zuffa) complain about pirating and how it takes away so much from them but they turn around and want to make the WEC ppv, its ironic to me anyway. I understand the need to want to get these guys there just dues in terms of paychecks but the WEC just isnt there yet.

Post #2   1/11/10 3:37:50AM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,667-904
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
The only other viable option to headline a foray into pay-per-view would be Faber vs. Torres.

The WEC isn't even available nationally like Zuffa's Spike TV programming, and maybe Zuffa should remedy that first before trying to promote a pay-per-view. For such a brilliant group with great promotional power, Zuffa did not put as much as they could into popularizing the WEC: a few WEC fights between their consistently entertaining fighters on UFC programming occasionally would have gone a long way into getting casual fans interested in the lighter weight classes, but as is the WEC could not even sell a thousand tickets at their December 2009 event. Good luck on pay-per-view.

Post #3   1/11/10 4:26:16AM   

EpicTerran

MMA Regular

EpicTerran Avatar

Career:658-391
Camp: Wolfpack Crew
Chips:
I think they should leave WEC free, if they really want to give these guys bigger paychecks, then add the divisions to the UFC.

Post #4   1/11/10 6:20:43AM   

hate4thestate

In Full Mount

hate4thestate Avatar

Career:1,445-905
Camp: FLBTV All-Stars
Chips:
honestly i would not pay to watch this. i love to watch aldo fight but wec isnt popular enough to sell ppvs, this would be a bad business decision for them. i agree with what someone else said they need to move to a channel where the majority of people can actually recieve it before they try this, or at least wait till comcast/mbc makes versus huge like i suppose they plan to do.

Post #5   1/11/10 8:16:44AM   

D0wnUnd6e6r

Don't Eat The Yellow Snow

D0wnUnd6e6r Avatar

Career:2,058-1,153
Chips:
Don't have to pay to watch this, Aldo takes this fairly easily IMO

Post #6   1/11/10 9:43:19AM   

Tank5000

Learning to Sprawl

Tank5000 Avatar

Career:420-242
Camp: Pitbulls
Chips:
I wish the WEC were more widely/easily available.....Like Spike & UFC.
I feel like WEC would be just a big as UFC if it were as available. After all, WEC puts on awesome fights/cards more consistently than almost any other promotion IMO (definitely more consistently than UFC)

Post #7   1/11/10 12:29:19PM