Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Shinya Aoki Relieved of Teaching Duties

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

ThaAxeMurderer7

MMA Sensei

ThaAxeMurderer7 Avatar

Career:1,277-814
Chips:
Shinya Aoki has been removed as an instructor at the Paraestra Tokyo in Japan for his antics following his win on New Year's Eve at Dynamite!! 2009.

Yuki Nakai, the general manager of Paraestra, announced Aoki's dismissal on the gym's website and apologized on behalf of the camp for anyone's discomfort from watching Aoki's "inappropriate behavior."

Link

Post #1   1/10/10 3:47:59AM   

jae_1833

TTTHS

jae_1833 Avatar

Career:2,547-1,624
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Well, that's just plain stupid.

Post #2   1/10/10 4:00:13AM   

Mayhem13

MMA Sensei

Mayhem13 Avatar

Career:2,129-1,266
Camp: Team Sakara Eye Punch
Chips:
Kid has done worse then that, and people didnt make this big of a deal out of it....I dont get why this kind of punishment was needed.

I mean..I dont agree with what he did, but dont think his teaching duties should be taken away because of it...just fine him or something

Post #3   1/10/10 4:04:51AM   

BeeR

MMA Sensei

BeeR Avatar

Career:681-411
Chips:
This is getting way out of hand.

If someone is too stubborn to tap,to the point of a broken mangled arm then a "f-you, you should have tapped" is completely appropiate, thats all I see the finger as, and Im all for sportsmanship.

Its not like he ran over, gave him the finger then T-baged him.

Post #4   1/10/10 6:09:11AM   

moob

In Full Mount

moob Avatar

Career:1,276-854
Chips:

Posted by BeeR

If someone is too stubborn to tap,to the point of a broken mangled arm then a "f-you, you should have tapped" is completely appropiate, thats all I see the finger as, and Im all for sportsmanship.

The best way to explain this is that Japanese culture is significantly different from Western culture, hence the actions taken.

Post #5   1/10/10 6:38:48AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,475-856
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by moob

Posted by BeeR

The best way to explain this is that Japanese culture is significantly different from Western culture, hence the actions taken.

Exactly what I was going to say.
Their culture looks upon things much differently than we do with our western eyes.
Though the Japanese have in several ways "westernized" their thinking,they still very much have their own standards for conduct.

Post #6   1/10/10 7:19:15AM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:
Shinya You are welcome to come teach at my school! You can even give me the finger every day!

Post #7   1/10/10 10:54:11AM   

telnights

MODesty

telnights Avatar

Career:1,358-751
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Like some others have said I think the main problem is people are looking at this without understanding the Japanese culture. They look at his actions a lot different than we do.

Last edited 1/10/10 1:06PM server time by telnights
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #8   1/10/10 1:05:54PM   

SpiderSilva

PFM

SpiderSilva Avatar

Career:1,802-1,135
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:

Posted by postman

You can even give me the finger every day!

Ewwwwwww

The way aoki acted after is vary unaccepted in japan and he knows it this maybe will send him out west(SF or UFC) sense he has made himself unwelcome

He's been known to cure narcalepsy by just walking into a room. His orgin donation card list his beard. He is a lover not a fighter but he's also a fighter so don't get any idea's he is SpiderSilva I'm the baddest man alive

Post #9   1/10/10 1:12:15PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by SpiderSilva

Posted by postman

You can even give me the finger every day!

Ewwwwwww

Post #10   1/10/10 2:08:34PM   

sbulldavid

Heavyweight Champ

sbulldavid Avatar

Career:1,393-817
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
It was just a finger, in Japan it might be a big deal, it's not a big deal in most other countries. I don't see it any worse than what Lesner did to Mir, it was uncalled for, but maybe he had his own reasons. So whatever, see you in StrikeForce.

Post #11   1/10/10 8:39:58PM   

StorminYourman

Belt Contender

StorminYourman Avatar

Career:1,106-639
Chips:

Posted by BeeR

I think that shoud happen in the scene for Aoki's A&E dramatized biography

Post #12   1/11/10 3:37:26AM   

NewGuy

Bas Will Destroy Your Liver

NewGuy Avatar

Career:1,348-774
Chips:
I know Aoki’s response was not planned but he won, isn’t he allowed a little freedom to make a statement. He wanted his statement to be a big FU. While I agree it was in poor taste, I think he has that right. Tito buries his victims and wears t-shirts that mock them, BJ drinks their blood, Rush does 9/10ths of a back flip and Nate Diaz openly mocks fighters who he has locked into a fight ending sub. I understand that Japanese culture is different but IMO fighters should be allowed to express how they are feeling when they win a fight

Post #13   1/11/10 3:46:03AM   

moob

In Full Mount

moob Avatar

Career:1,276-854
Chips:

Posted by NewGuy

I understand that Japanese culture is different but IMO fighters should be allowed to express how they are feeling when they win a fight

Yeah, of course they should, but they need to also do so within the boundaries of that country's culture the event is located within.

Post #14   1/11/10 9:55:07AM   

DosBox

MMA Regular

DosBox Avatar

Career:906-530
Chips:

Posted by moob

Exactly.

Just a short comment for everybody, the founder of Paraesta SHOOTO the gym where Aoki trains at is Yuki Nakai who actually hid the fact that he became blind after his fight against Gerard Gordeau because he wanted to protect the reputation on Vale Tudo at the time. Yuki Nakai is very much a legend in the sport of Vale Tudo

Aoki's antics in Mr. Nakai's mind did not do that - preserve/protect the reputation of Mixed Martial Arts, it doesnt matter if its sometimes okay in the UFC to do it/etc... the fact of the matter is which would be supported by Mr. Nakai would be that if you cannot protect/preserve the reputation of MMA, you cannot instruct kids who want to learn about MMA (at least in his gym).

Having said that
--- Aoki is dismissed as an instructor, but is still with the Paraestra camp. Most likely until most of the emotions around the MMA community (regional community) are subdued.

Post #15   1/11/10 5:21:47PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2