Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Bobby Lashley vs Yohan Banks possible for Strikeforce: 'Miami'

Print  
Posted By Message

ThaAxeMurderer7

MMA Sensei

ThaAxeMurderer7 Avatar

Career:1,277-814
Chips:
Former WWE star and collegiate wrestling champion Bobby Lashley (4-0) is likely to make his mixed martial arts debut for the San Jose-based Strikeforce promotion against Yohan Banks (2-1) at the BankAtlantic Center in Sunrise, Florida on Saturday, Jan. 30, according to MMAWeekly.

The "Miami" bout has yet to be finalized and is currently awaiting commission approval.

"The Dominator," who also moonlights as a "face" for TNA Wrestling, entered the world of cage fighting back in Dec. 2008 as a co-headliner for South Florida's Mixed Fighting Alliance (MFA). The 6'3" powerhouse needed just 41-seconds to extirpate Joshua Franklin via doctor's stoppage.

Link

Post #1   1/9/10 8:29:09PM   

Budgellism

Randy

Budgellism Avatar

Career:2,900-1,652
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Lashley needs to be tested, and this fight won't give him that. Lashley by first minute tko.

Post #2   1/10/10 4:24:19AM   

Mayhem13

MMA Sensei

Mayhem13 Avatar

Career:2,175-1,292
Camp: Team Sakara Eye Punch
Chips:
yeah, this is a step down from Guida, Cook and Sapp. Might as well gave him Carlton Banks...would have the same outcome probably

Post #3   1/10/10 4:39:07AM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,554-840
Chips:
I'm perfectly alright with the match-up myself. Lashley's very young in his MMA career and these sort of match-up are made to help groom new fighters into viable competitors. The problem I have with it is the fact that Lashley never seems to use these oppertunities to work on developing his skills learned in training during some on-the-job learning. He's never taken the time to attempt the striking game in a fight, even against scrubs. He's simply not making the most of these learning oppertunities.

My only other problem with him in a promotion like strikeforce is that we'll likely have to see him on the main card; even for bouts like this one. He's going to be a draw for strikeforce, and they'll have to market him as such. That's probably the biggest shame of all of this. I'm hoping he's in the final prelim fight and doesn't take a televised spot from a legit fighter.

Post #4   1/10/10 8:34:20AM   

hate4thestate

In Full Mount

hate4thestate Avatar

Career:1,445-905
Camp: FLBTV All-Stars
Chips:

Posted by bojangalz

I'm perfectly alright with the match-up myself. Lashley's very young in his MMA career and these sort of match-up are made to help groom new fighters into viable competitors. The problem I have with it is the fact that Lashley never seems to use these oppertunities to work on developing his skills learned in training during some on-the-job learning. He's never taken the time to attempt the striking game in a fight, even against scrubs. He's simply not making the most of these learning oppertunities.

My only other problem with him in a promotion like strikeforce is that we'll likely have to see him on the main card; even for bouts like this one. He's going to be a draw for strikeforce, and they'll have to market him as such. That's probably the biggest shame of all of this. I'm hoping he's in the final prelim fight and doesn't take a televised spot from a legit fighter.

its already happened...

hieron-riggs on prelim card. lashley is on the main card. i personally am more interested in the hieron riggs fight.

Post #5   1/10/10 10:56:03AM   

hate4thestate

In Full Mount

hate4thestate Avatar

Chips:
also something i noticed i seen a couple ads for the jan 30 event and walker cyborg diaz and lashley are all represented but nothing about manhoeff and lawler? that fight could be spectacular and they need to make sure that fans tune in to that one.

Post #6   1/10/10 10:59:14AM   

bojangalz

The Original Playground Bully

bojangalz Avatar

Career:1,554-840
Chips:

Posted by hate4thestate

Posted by bojangalz

its already happened...

hieron-riggs on prelim card. lashley is on the main card. i personally am more interested in the hieron riggs fight.

If in fact this is true, then there is a serious gripe to be had. It's stuff like this that makes me feel that for every two steps strikeforce moves forward they take three steps back. I think the biggest problem of all is that Scott Coker and Co are very adept promoters, but they basically sign away all broadcast control to the powers that be at both Showtime and CBS. It's pretty apparent that these sort of decision come from the production team and not the promotion.

I've always hoped that Strikeforce would be a viable competitor to the UFC for the fighter's sake. But when these issues arrise it makes me reconsider my hopes for Strikeforce.

Post #7   1/10/10 2:45:53PM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
I have no problem with this matchup. This is the right move by SF. Baby steps for Lashley , build him up and create some buzz behind his name. Then put him on the big stage against a big name. Rogers/Lashley is a fight i wouldnt mind seeing.

Post #8   1/10/10 4:41:18PM   

hate4thestate

In Full Mount

hate4thestate Avatar

Chips:

Posted by bojangalz

Posted by hate4thestate

Posted by bojangalz

its already happened...

If in fact this is true, then there is a serious gripe to be had. It's stuff like this that makes me feel that for every two steps strikeforce moves forward they take three steps back. I think the biggest problem of all is that Scott Coker and Co are very adept promoters, but they basically sign away all broadcast control to the powers that be at both Showtime and CBS. It's pretty apparent that these sort of decision come from the production team and not the promotion.

I've always hoped that Strikeforce would be a viable competitor to the UFC for the fighter's sake. But when these issues arrise it makes me reconsider my hopes for Strikeforce.

well i see this as a failure there are many redeming features about strikeforce as compared to the ufc.

first off, the fighters. they are giving their fighters freedom. some to much cough overeem but this is something that is important i believe to the fighters, they do not ban sponsors for stupid or sometimes no reason at all. they allow their fighters to compete wherever allowing co promotions with dream and m1 is amazing. imagine if the ufc were as laid back? we could be setting up to watch lesnar fedor or aoki penn. infinite amount of amazing fights.

second look at how exciting alot of the matchups are in strikefore without crazy hype. i personally am ******* stoked for zaromskis diaz and lawler manhoef and no one told me those are gonna be awesome fights. i just know. honestly ufc over hypes and a lot of times they let down. strikeforce has never hyped me up to the point like that. but with the limited fighters they have they continue to make amazing fights. ufc lacks this imo. yea ufc makes great matches, but they have a huge stable of great fighters to choose from. and ufc dissappoints on occasion not that strikeforce doesnt but its hard to find a huge miss as of yet. they put on fights i want to see. couture coleman i honestly couldnt care less if i never see that fight tho ill probably watch it.

i think strikeforce is showing what it takes to be a next generation organization. they arnt there yet and have alot of work to do but here in a few years strikeforce could very well overpower the ufc and i dont think that would be a bad thing.

Post #9   1/11/10 8:11:31AM