Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Ole! 'El Matador' flirting with Strikeforce contract

Print  
Posted By Message

RhythmAndStyle

MMA Sensei

RhythmAndStyle Avatar

Career:2,348-1,408
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
Fighter-turned-actor-turned fighter and current free agent Roger Huerta (20-3-1) has been in talks with the San Jose-based Strikeforce promotion after satisfying his UFC contract in a split decision loss to undefeated lightweight contender Gray Maynard at the Sept. 16 UFC Fight Night 19 event in Oklahoma."El Matador" -- who graced the cover of Sports Illustrated in 2007 -- was bound by Zuffa's recently expired three-month "no compete" clause and has now opened the door to promotions outside of Las Vegas to continue his fighting career.

Link

Post #1   1/8/10 12:22:07PM   

Kpro

I STAB WATERBEDS!

Kpro Avatar

Career:2,416-1,238
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Might as well; he can't compete with the wrestling pedigree of the 55'ers in the UFC enough to get into title contention.

Post #2   1/8/10 12:32:14PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
I really like Roger, his fights are ussually exciting.

Post #3   1/8/10 12:58:49PM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,616-882
Chips:

Posted by Kpro

Might as well; he can't compete with the wrestling pedigree of the 55'ers in the UFC enough to get into title contention.

He's not far off though. He had success early staving off Maynard's bread and butter.

The star power of Roger Huerta is what Strikeforce wanted, but in this signing they got a solid top-20 lightweight as well.

Post #4   1/8/10 1:02:08PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:

Posted by lohmann

Posted by Kpro

He's not far off though. He had success early staving off Maynard's bread and butter.

The star power of Roger Huerta is what Strikeforce wanted, but in this signing they got a solid top-20 lightweight as well.

My hope is strikeforce gets big enough Dana is FORCED into co-promotions and we get to see Fedor vs....well everyone.

Post #5   1/8/10 1:10:30PM   

spikerman19

Standup Guy

spikerman19 Avatar

Career:266-174
Camp: Norcal Fight Team
Chips:

Posted by cmill21

Posted by lohmann

Posted by Kpro

My hope is strikeforce gets big enough Dana is FORCED into co-promotions and we get to see Fedor vs....well everyone.

I dont think Dana would go for the ramp, pyrotechnics, cheerleaders, Doug Johnson, it have to be a UFC promotion. It would be nice to have a UFC Vs StrikeForce card yearly.

Post #6   1/8/10 4:16:05PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,262-1,196
Chips:
Despite Strikeforce teases, Roger Huerta unlikely to sign anywhere until November

Free agent lightweight Roger Huerta (20-3-1) hasn't found a home just yet.

Despite revealing to the world via Twitter that his manager was in talks with Strikeforce, Huerta has not yet signed on with the California-based organization.

MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) today confirmed with Strikeforce director of communications Mike Afromowitz that Huerta did meet with the promotion, but an offer was not made to "El Matador."

Additionally, sources close to the fighter indicated that a "matching clause" in Huerta's UFC contract that doesn't expire until November means the UFC retains the right to match any official offer the lightweight receives from an opposing organization.

LINK

Post #7   1/8/10 4:33:27PM