Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Is Rashad Evans too fast for 'Rampage' Jackson?

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

ThaAxeMurderer7

MMA Sensei

ThaAxeMurderer7 Avatar

Career:1,277-814
Chips:
Coach Greg Jackson seems to think so...

"...Quinton has some very good assets including punching power, his wrestling is good. But where Rashad's (strength) really lies is speed. And Rashad is so amazingly quick, and it's one of those things where he looks quick but when he really gets going he's really fast. It's hard to keep track of where he is. Speed, among other things, is going to play a large factor in this fight coming up."

Link

Post #1   1/7/10 7:49:42PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
I think evans is going to hold a lot of advantages if/when this fight happens.

Post #2   1/7/10 9:14:59PM   

EvenFlow

banned

EvenFlow Avatar

Career:432-232
Chips:
Is Thiago faster than Rashad? I'm sure most would say no and he still got stanky legged. Rampage by KO.

Post #3   1/7/10 9:24:08PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,394-1,281
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
i think rampage will ko him
i just hope he doesn't chase him around for 3 rounds

Post #4   1/7/10 9:24:53PM   

MaxOne

Captain Doctor

MaxOne Avatar

Career:862-586
Camp: Team Syntax
Chips:
I've always said rashad was too fast for rampage since rashad was on tuf and I still think his speed is a great asset but I'm pretty sure rampage has more power than thiago and rampage has wAaaaay better wrestling than thiago so I'm less sure now in rashad against rampage. I do think rampage might have some ring rust but I'm not sure how much of a factor that'll be. I'm not sure who I'll pick now. Prior to the thiago vs. Rashad fight I was "positive" rashad had this.

Post #5   1/7/10 9:25:29PM   

Bloodhound

Standup Guy

Bloodhound Avatar

Career:1,054-599
Chips:
i think the real question of the fight "Is Rampage's Punching Power too Much for Rashad?

Post #6   1/7/10 10:08:29PM   

Boo_Radley21

Heavyweight Champ

Boo_Radley21 Avatar

Career:605-425
Chips:
It's definitely speed vs strength. Rashad can move quick but Rampage has the ability to stop his takedowns (better than anyone else he's fought) and can hit him wayyy harder than anyone he's fought. Rashad got KOd against Machida and rocked hard by Thiago, think what a Rampage punch will do. Yea Evans is quicker, but in 15 minutes I am sure Rampage will hit him at least once clean and that's all he needs to finish it.

Post #7   1/7/10 10:24:45PM   

Jesse_Canadian_MMA

Belt Contender

Jesse_Canadian_MMA Avatar

Career:1,776-1,097
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
gotta go with Jackson in this one and I really want this happen

Post #8   1/7/10 11:26:20PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,746-1,521
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
Well, lets look at what it has taken in the past to beat him:

Eastman by Dec: too early in their careers to draw any real conclusions
Sakuraba by Sub: who hasn't he subbed though?
Matsui by DQ: scratch
Wandy x2 by TKO: brutal MT
Shogun by TKO: brutal MT
Forrest by Dec: leg kicks and controlling the distance

And then there's 30 guys that Rampage has beat. I'm sure he wasn't faster than them all, so I think it will take a little something extra to get the job done. I don't believe Rashad's wrestling will play a role, considering some of the top notch wrestlers that haven't been able to hold Rampage down. Despite now being a black belt, I don't think Rashad has what it takes to submit him...with Rampage's only submission loss to Sakuraba, it's probably safe to eliminate that possibility. Rashad doesn't have the versatile striking of a Wanderlei Silva or Shogun Rua. Rashad doesn't have the reach or the leg kicks that Forrest brought to the table.

The only option left is power. This is where there's some gray area in the debate. Does Rashad have the power coupled with his speed to put Rampage down? If you were to look at the Liddell KO, there's a possible argument. Beyond that, there's not much that can convince me though. First of all, Jackson has really improved his boxing skills over the last couple years...and he doesn't hang his hands down low like Chuck loves to do. Rashad needs to get in close to make the magic happen, but that's also Rampage's bread and butter. Standing in the pocket with him will prove fatal over the long haul, considering Quinton undoubtedly has the better chin. I see Rampage getting the better of the exchanges, which makes me think winning a decision would prove difficult even if he survives 3 rounds. I think Rashad's best chances are to do what nobody other person has done to this point...take Rampage out with only his hands. Those are some long odds, so I'd say speed will not be enough.

Edit:
I should point out the x-factor here though. This is all assuming that Rampage comes in proper physical and mental condition for the fight. I'm sure we'll have a better idea of that as the fight draws closer.

Last edited 1/7/10 11:41PM server time by grappler0000
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #9   1/7/10 11:35:56PM   

cmill21

Heavyweight Champ

cmill21 Avatar

Career:444-230
Chips:
I can see where some would get the speed factor, but come on, he's not going to win by running around, he's going to have to plant his feet to land with the style of blocking Rampage uses and thats where he will get tagged. Rashad is the same fighter we all knew before the two exciting fights he had. Rampage will end this....brutally.

Post #10   1/8/10 12:50:32AM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Rashad could use some houston alexander/forrest griffin game plan to beat rampage throw leg kicks and circle for 15 minutes.

Post #11   1/8/10 1:01:24AM   

marcoDGK

Standup Guy

marcoDGK Avatar

Career:317-259
Camp: DGK
Chips:

Posted by Bloodhound

i think the real question of the fight "Is Rampage's Punching Power too Much for Rashad?

Post #12   1/8/10 1:55:20AM   

EliasG

In Full Mount

EliasG Avatar

Career:222-176
Chips:
This is why we CARE about this fight. ;) I want to see it. I look forward to watching it. I'm not sure but I'm a Page fan so i want to see it.

Post #13   1/8/10 2:18:51AM   

jgtribbett

MMA Sensei

jgtribbett Avatar

Career:553-358
Camp: Team BloodLoss
Chips:
ok.. i think that they have equal wrestling ability.. but jackson has the advantage of experience and size. jackson has that philly style boxing. (blocking with elbows etc.) and rashad has really good head movement now. i may have never noticed beore but against silva i thought his head movement looked relaly good. we know that rampage isnt so good at dealing with knees and leg kicks.. althought he may have gotten far beter silva wandy and forest. i think rashad has a chance to take him down but its unlikely. more than liekly they'll both choose to stand up .. especially after the first round.. cause i think rashad will attempt the takedown but wont get it in the first. um,... i'm saying jackson by dec.

Post #14   1/8/10 3:26:25AM   

IriShame

In Full Mount

IriShame Avatar

Career:558-331
Chips:
Yes, Rashad is faster than 'Page. Yes, Rampage has more one punch power than Rashad. I think this comes down to Rashad's defensive boxing and Rampages utilization of his wrestling and size advantage.

Rashads head movement is above average and he always comes with a good game plan. I think he'll stay on the outside, stick and move and shoot for the occasional takedown. Whether he gets it or not doesn't matter because when you're shooting for a double leg you're not getting socked in the face.

Rashad has shown that he can be KO'd but really, who hasn't? The thing about Rashad's chin checks is that they haven't really showed that he can't take a punch merely that he's fighting marquee competition that is going to get you from time to time.

With Lyoto it was more the deadly accuracy than the power that got him knocked out and with Thiago he got hit but he held it together when a lot of guys wouldn't have. He went the whole fight without getting tagged and got a little complacent and took one on the chin. It happens, but he recovered which I feel says more about him than getting caught to begin with.

Remember, glass jaw Keith Jardine went three rounds with Rampage without getting KO'd and I don't think it's out of the question that Rashad can do the same. I believe he can win a decision with a conservative boxing gameplan with some good body and leg kicks mixed in.

That being said I think Rampage's key to victory is to go for the take down himself. He has virtually abandoned his wrestling since coming to the UFC and relies primarily on his power punching to win fights.

So far, this has worked for him but against a guy with Rashads combination of hand speed, power, head movement, and footwork he needs to use his size advantage to earn a few takedowns and steal rounds he might otherwise lose by being outboxed, Winky Wright style.

This fight comes down to gameplans and who has the right one as both fighters have the skills to win the fight.

Post #15   1/8/10 5:41:56AM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2