Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Daley Says Hazelett KO Tailor Made For Him

Print  
Posted By Message

RhythmAndStyle

MMA Sensei

RhythmAndStyle Avatar

Career:2,376-1,419
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
On paper Paul Daley vs. Dustin Hazelett was supposed to be striker against grappler, but when the fight started the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu ace stood in front of his British counterpart ready to throw hands. That game plan didn't pay off.Daley unloaded a huge left hook that put Hazelett down and out for good in the first round, handing the confident Brit his second UFC win in as many fights. Happy with another knockout, even Daley was a little confused when trying to figure out what his opponent's plan was in the fight.

Link

Post #1   1/7/10 2:34:53PM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:2,441-1,325
Chips:
Ya Hazelett doesn't have the best chin in the world to be standing w/ elite strikers like Daley. I don't think it was his intention to stand w/ Daley the entire fight, but even that first minute or two if you stand and trade you can get caught, and he did.

Post #2   1/7/10 5:31:02PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,803-1,547
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by xdanish020

Ya Hazelett doesn't have the best chin in the world to be standing w/ elite strikers like Daley. I don't think it was his intention to stand w/ Daley the entire fight, but even that first minute or two if you stand and trade you can get caught, and he did.

Yep, apparently he didn't watch the Daley/Kampmann fight.

Post #3   1/7/10 5:44:09PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,237-808
Camp: Playground Legends
Chips:
IMO i dont think dustin could have got him to the ground if he wanted to.

HUGE strength difference

Post #4   1/7/10 5:50:42PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,494-876
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
The mistake that sealed the deal was the fact Hazelett had little to zero movement. He took the center and stood their for too long and that's something you can't afford to do against a guy like Daley.

I'm sure if he would have got him on the ground he would have subbed Daley, but as we know that's not the way it went.

Post #5   1/7/10 6:43:45PM   

Playground_Samurai

I EAT POOP

Playground_Samurai Avatar

Career:2,359-1,249
Camp: Hand Grenade Hillbillies
Chips:

Posted by george112

HUGE strength difference

I completely disagree. Just because Daley is probably a lot stronger than Hazelett, doesn't mean Dustin couldn't get him down. I'll take technique over strength almost every time.

Post #6   1/7/10 6:49:45PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by mrsmiley

The mistake that sealed the deal was the fact Hazelett had little to zero movement. He took the center and stood their for too long and that's something you can't afford to do against a guy like Daley.

I'm sure if he would have got him on the ground he would have subbed Daley, but as we know that's not the way it went.

i thought that at first to but i just couldnt ignore Daleys explosive power and strength compared to Hazelett.the ONLY sub that i could see him getting is a RNC after a HUGE mistake from Daley

Post #7   1/7/10 6:49:57PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by gspfan

Posted by george112

HUGE strength difference

I completely disagree. Just because Daley is probably a lot stronger than Hazelett, doesn't mean Dustin couldn't get him down. I'll take technique over strength almost every time.

Read above post

Post #8   1/7/10 6:51:13PM   

Playground_Samurai

I EAT POOP

Chips:

Posted by george112

Posted by gspfan

Posted by george112

HUGE strength difference

Read above post

Paul has explosive power, so he can't be taken down??? Paul was throwing plenty of leg kicks. Dustin could have easily grabbed one and used the momentum to take him down and end up in top position. I've seen Daley on his back and it's pretty much a replica of what Houston Alexander looks like on his back. Unfortunatly for both Dustin and Kampmann, they both went in with the wrong gameplan IMO. When you fight a great striker like Daley, you have to put him on the mat as soon as possible.

Last edited 1/7/10 6:56PM server time by gspfan
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #9   1/7/10 6:55:09PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by gspfan

Posted by george112

Posted by gspfan

Posted by george112

HUGE strength difference

Read above post

Paul has explosive power, so he can't be taken down??? Paul was throwing plenty of leg kicks. Dustin could have easily grabbed one and used the momentum to take him down and end up in top position. I've seen Daley on his back and it's pretty much a replica of what Houston Alexander looks like on his back. Unfortunatly for both Dustin and Kampmann, they both went in with the wrong gameplan IMO. When you fight a great striker like Daley, you have to put him on the mat as soon as possible.

ooo no he can be taken down just it would take ALOT from hazelett.daley mhas the short athletic body type.very strong and very solid.IMO more of an over all athlete than alexander.also hazelett had the unfortunate luck to match up with somebody that didnt really fit HIS body style.if hazelett would have ended up on top i see daley just shoving him off with his strength.im pretty sure daley trained sub defense and even a little bit of that plus an enormous strength advantage would pretty much null hazelett.

i understand the point your trying to make.now if daley would have been matched up with koscheck for instance it would have been way different as the are ALOT more close strength wise

Awesome Wrestling + A bit of strength (kosckeck) = more even fight

Awesome sub (hazelett) / a little sub defense and strength advantage (daley) = well we all now how that one ended...

Post #10   1/7/10 7:06:58PM   

Playground_Samurai

I EAT POOP

Chips:

Posted by george112

Posted by gspfan

Posted by george112

Posted by gspfan

Posted by george112

HUGE strength difference

Read above post

ooo no he can be taken down just it would take ALOT from hazelett.daley mhas the short athletic body type.very strong and very solid.IMO more of an over all athlete than alexander.also hazelett had the unfortunate luck to match up with somebody that didnt really fit HIS body style.if hazelett would have ended up on top i see daley just shoving him off with his strength.im pretty sure daley trained sub defense and even a little bit of that plus an enormous strength advantage would pretty much null hazelett.

i understand the point your trying to make.now if daley would have been matched up with koscheck for instance it would have been way different as the are ALOT more close strength wise

Awesome sub (hazelett) / a little sub defense and strength advantage (daley) = well we all now how that one ended...

And I see what you're trying to say, but I just can't agree with it.

Off the top of my head, a quick example I can come up with but maybe not the best is Aldo/Mike Brown. Aldo is small enough to drop to 135. Brown obviously has a considerable strength and even wrestling advantage. However, once Aldo got in on the mat and got on top of him Brown was unable to get back up. Just because your strength doesn't compare to your opponent, doesn't mean you can't get a normal takedown or wouldn't be able to keep him down. You can use leverage, balance, and weight distribution. Just overall technique.

For now, I think we should just agree to disagree.

Last edited 1/7/10 7:17PM server time by gspfan
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #11   1/7/10 7:16:47PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Chips:

Posted by gspfan

Posted by george112

Posted by gspfan

Posted by george112

Posted by gspfan

Posted by george112

HUGE strength difference

Read above post

And I see what you're trying to say, but I just can't agree with it.

Off the top of my head, a quick example I can come up with but maybe not the best is Aldo/Mike Brown. Aldo is small enough to drop to 135. Brown obviously has a considerable strength and even wrestling advantage. However, once Aldo got in on the mat and got on top of him Brown was unable to get back up. Just because your strength doesn't compare to your opponent, doesn't mean you can't get a normal takedown or wouldn't be able to keep him down. You can use leverage, balance, and weight distribution. Just overall technique.

For now, I think we should just agree to disagree.

TRUE.

BUT we can both agree that Aldo is a totally different athlete than Hazelett in their respective weight classes.theres a reason hes a champion an Hazelett isnt

haha fine with me bro.

nothing like friendly debates thanks bro

Post #12   1/7/10 7:22:14PM   

Playground_Samurai

I EAT POOP

Chips:

Posted by george112
TRUE.

BUT we can both agree that Aldo is a totally different athlete than Hazelett in their respective weight classes.theres a reason hes a champion an Hazelett isnt

haha fine with me bro.

nothing like friendly debates thanks bro

Yep, good discussion.

And yes, I definatly agree that Aldo is better in his weightclass than Hazelett is in his.

Post #13   1/7/10 7:26:15PM   

isk

In Full Mount

isk Avatar

Career:-
Chips:

Posted by mrsmiley

Yeah, I really want to comment on this because I think it's an overlooked aspect in striking, both for the fans and the fighters.

Some seem to think that all you need is heavy hands. Sure, if that's true you can drop someone when you connect, and you certainly look good on the pads in training. But the first thing you learn in boxing is footwork. It's kind of like in basketball how you're supposed to learn proper dribbling and defense; the flashy stuff like shooting percentage and shot blocks comes in time.

Daley mentioned this before the Shields fight, how Jake might be able to hit hard but keeping the fight standing would be a mistake. And it was true - you see the replay and it's obvious how much more comfortable Daley is. He lands the cleaner shots because sets them up with proper positioning. Shields just looks awkward in comparison - his strikes look a little off balance, and little if anything lands without being checked or avoided. That's the difference.

I mean, if you really want to know about the importance of footwork in a stand-up battle, you can always ask Michael Bisping. Love the guy, but we all know what happened in the Hendo fight.

Post #14   1/7/10 8:27:18PM   

RhythmAndStyle

MMA Sensei

RhythmAndStyle Avatar

Career:2,376-1,419
Chips:
i haven't read what everyone wrote..but too me..i don't see what B.J.J. fighters would want to stand with strikers..i hate Jake Shields..but he does the right things..he didn't try to stand with Daley..just shot down and tapped him out..i understand why Kampmann tried it..since Kampmann does have good stand-up..but Hazelett..i don't understand this fighter mentality of tryin to out strike a strike when your not one..and vise-versa..just use your bread and butter..i guess Liddell said it the best "Why would I want to change up my game plan,when it has been working for me all these years"..like John Fitch..doesn't ever change his game plan..and like Evans..he did the right thing that night and won..i think some fighters need that reality check though..maybe this will wake Hazette up and make him go back to his game...

Post #15   1/7/10 8:41:08PM