Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Sengoku Wants Shinya Aoki Punished for His Antics at Dynamite!! 2009

Print  
  Page 1 of 2     1     2  
Posted By Message

RhythmAndStyle

MMA Sensei

RhythmAndStyle Avatar

Career:2,320-1,389
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
WVR director, Sumio Inamura condemned Aoki's flipping of the bird at the severely injured (Mizuto) Hirota as an "erratic, unforgivable conduct" and fumed that there is not an ounce of sincerity or contrition in his apology. Inamura also demanded accountability from "those who are suspected to have incited Aoki to behave the way he did."

Link

Post #1   1/7/10 2:30:06PM   

Giant_Ochai

BANNED

Career:433-278
Chips:
As long as someone doesn't continue beating on his opponent I don't care what they do after a win. Mr. Inamura just seems embarrassed that his champion got owned.

Post #2   1/7/10 3:52:10PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,245-1,185
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by Giant_Ochai

As long as someone doesn't continue beating on his opponent I don't care what they do after a win. Mr. Inamura just seems embarrassed that his champion got owned.

Actually, I agree. It's fighting...not Candyland or Tiddly Winks.

Last edited 1/7/10 3:53PM server time by emfleek
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   1/7/10 3:53:01PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Giant_Ochai

Me too its a reflection of Shinya he did nothing to hurt anyone else. Now we as fans decided if we support him due to his actions will we buy products he endorses (spelling) things of that nature. Now had he tapped and Aoki continued to apply the hold and snapped him then that is where someone would need to step in.

Post #4   1/7/10 4:32:03PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,668-1,480
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Giant_Ochai

It may be fighting, but it's also a sport...and a line has to be drawn somewhere. Where that line is at is certainly subjective, but I don't see a problem with a little punishment for antics like that. There's no need to hand out a lifetime ban of coarse, but a fine or something equivalent would probably be appropriate.

Post #5   1/7/10 4:32:45PM   

grappler0000

MODular Approach

grappler0000 Avatar

Career:2,668-1,480
Chips:

Posted by postman

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Giant_Ochai

Me too its a reflection of Shinya he did nothing to hurt anyone else. Now we as fans decided if we support him due to his actions will we buy products he endorses (spelling) things of that nature. Now had he tapped and Aoki continued to apply the hold and snapped him then that is where someone would need to step in.

I agree with individuals taking on the responsibility of supporting or not supporting Aoki after what he did. If nobody else gets hurt, then so be it...but, there was a brand and image that was also tarnished as a result. So, I have no problem if they choose to punish him, as long as it's reasonable of coarse.

Post #6   1/7/10 4:38:32PM   

xdanish020

MMA Sensei

xdanish020 Avatar

Career:2,316-1,241
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:
The best recourse for Sengoku would be signing someone to come over and beat the hell out of him.

Post #7   1/7/10 5:27:17PM   

TimW001

MMA Sensei

TimW001 Avatar

Career:724-436
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Giant_Ochai

Well said!

Post #8   1/7/10 5:46:47PM   

warglory

Heavyweight Champ

warglory Avatar

Career:535-344
Chips:

Posted by xdanish020

The best recourse for Sengoku would be signing someone to come over and beat the hell out of him.

Maybe the UFC can lend BJ out to Sengoku for one fight.

Post #9   1/7/10 6:08:27PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,205-781
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by emfleek

Posted by Giant_Ochai

It may be fighting, but it's also a sport...and a line has to be drawn somewhere. Where that line is at is certainly subjective, but I don't see a problem with a little punishment for antics like that. There's no need to hand out a lifetime ban of coarse, but a fine or something equivalent would probably be appropriate.

a fine is the right course of action. yes we know this is fighting an all but grappler is right its still a sport.All sports have fines for this kind of thing

Post #10   1/7/10 6:43:45PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:

Posted by george112

a fine is the right course of action. yes we know this is fighting an all but grappler is right its still a sport.All sports have fines for this kind of thing

I don't know of any sport that has fined a player for flipping another player off.

Late hits? Fine.
Flagrant foul? Fine.
Beaming a player in baseball? Fine.

Flipping someone off? I think you'd be hard pressed to produce evidence that someone has been fined for it.

It's not like he pulled a Babalu and held the armbar after the ref tried stopping it. What he did is no different than what Chad Johnson does after each touchdown. Johnson gets fined, yes...but that's because the NFL is overly strict. If you're going to fine Aoki for flipping someone off, you damn well better fine every fighter that celebrates after a victory. Every fighter that does any kind of showboating, including the throat slashing gesture, wiping sweat from the brow, etc.

It's no different as far as I"m concerned. People watch the sport knowing damn well that it's not G rated. Rather than babysitting the overly sensitive momma's boys, let's accept what we're watching and take into account that emotions run high when you just survived getting your ass kicked.

EDIT: Flipping off fans is a different story. If you want to fine him, go ahead. I still think it's weak sauce, though. Every sport has its villains. Just let it be, in my opinion.

Last edited 1/7/10 7:02PM server time by emfleek
2 total post edits

Post #11   1/7/10 6:58:45PM   

george112

The Playground OG

george112 Avatar

Career:1,205-781
Camp: The Original Gangsters
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by george112

I don't know of any sport that has fined a player for flipping another player off.

Late hits? Fine.
Flagrant foul? Fine.

Flipping someone off? I think you'd be hard pressed to produce evidence that someone has been fined for it.

It's not like he pulled a Babalu and held the armbar after the ref tried stopping it. What he did is no different than what Chad Johnson does after each touchdown. Johnson gets fined, yes...but that's because the NFL is overly strict. If you're going to fine Aoki for flipping someone off, you damn well better fine every fighter that celebrates after a victory. Every fighter that does any kind of showboating, including the throat slashing gesture, wiping sweat from the brow, etc.

It's no different as far as I"m concerned. People watch the sport knowing damn well that it's not G rated. Rather than babysitting the overly sensitive momma's boys, let's accept what we're watching and take into account that emotions run high when you just survived getting your ass kicked.

EDIT: Flipping off fans is a different story. If you want to fine him, go ahead. I still think it's weak sauce, though. Every sport has its villains. Just let it be, in my opinion.

dude your a huge football fan so i know youve heard of UN-SPORTSMAN LIKE CONDUCT. what does that warrant in football? a flag.what does it warrant in basketball?? a technical foul with a possible ejection.if i wasnt lazy im probably sure i could find the same thing in every other major sport.

so you see its theres plenty of evidence of this sort of thing.

the reason i think a fine is the way to go is because its simply the only thing they can do. they obviously cant call a foul or eject him as the fight is already over (i dont mind taunting DURING the fight)

Post #12   1/7/10 7:13:56PM   

prozacnation1978

Heavyweight Champ

prozacnation1978 Avatar

Career:2,320-1,237
Camp: Dark Horse
Chips:
i don't blame them

Post #13   1/7/10 7:54:40PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Chips:

Posted by george112

Posted by emfleek

Posted by george112

Late hits? Fine.
Flagrant foul? Fine.

dude your a huge football fan so i know youve heard of UN-SPORTSMAN LIKE CONDUCT. what does that warrant in football? a flag.what does it warrant in basketball?? a technical foul with a possible ejection.if i wasnt lazy im probably sure i could find the same thing in every other major sport.

the reason i think a fine is the way to go is because its simply the only thing they can do. they obviously cant call a foul or eject him as the fight is already over (i dont mind taunting DURING the fight)

I've never once seen a flag thrown in football for flipping someone off. Unsportsmanlike conduct is usually called for late hits, helmet-to-helmet contact, tripping, spitting, etc. It may be considered unsportsmanlike, but it's rarely (if ever) enforced.*

* with the exception of Bud Adams, of course.

Last edited 1/7/10 8:04PM server time by emfleek

Post #14   1/7/10 8:03:19PM   

postman

Heavyweight Champ

postman Avatar

Career:746-420
Chips:

Posted by emfleek

Posted by george112

Posted by emfleek

Posted by george112

Late hits? Fine.
Flagrant foul? Fine.

I've never once seen a flag thrown in football for flipping someone off. Unsportsmanlike conduct is usually called for late hits, helmet-to-helmet contact, tripping, spitting, etc. It may be considered unsportsmanlike, but it's rarely (if ever) enforced.*

* with the exception of Bud Adams, of course.

I am having a hard time thinking of the finger get fined in sports. Add in the fact these guys are fighting not playing a game. Truthfuly where any of you offended so badly by what he did that your willing to take food off his plate? Ask yourselves that before jumping on the fine and or Suspension bandwagon.

Post #15   1/7/10 10:02:25PM   

Page 1 of 2     1     2