Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Shawn Tompkins trains Mark Coleman to fight former boss, Randy Couture

Print  
Posted By Message

ThaAxeMurderer7

MMA Sensei

ThaAxeMurderer7 Avatar

Career:1,277-814
Chips:
"It's just business. Anyone who's ever spoken to Randy, as far as competition, that's how he feels, too. For Randy, it's about the fight, not the drama, he's real cool about it. We talked about it. I let his camp know first. I started working with Mark for the Stephan Bonnar fight [at UFC 100]. I have my own team now, and this is how I make my living and how my family survives, so if Mark Coleman comes to me and asks me to coach him in a matchup against another UFC Hall of Famer, I'm going to say yes. It's nothing personal. It should happen for the sport and the fans, and when it's all said and done, Randy and I will still be friends, and I'll still respect him for everything he's done for me."

Famed mixed martial arts trainer Shawn Tompkins left Xtreme Couture in October 2009 to run his own fight team and there wasn't any (reported) bad blood with Randy Couture, which made his departure easier.

Link

Post #1   1/7/10 12:20:13PM   

kasual

MMA Regular

kasual Avatar

Career:353-201
Camp: HERO SQUAD
Chips:
Two high-level wrestlers, pioneers of gnp, striking and the clinch will be the difference in this fight. Oh and conditioning, let's not forget that. I have a feeling that, no matter what Shawn does, Coleman can't knock Randy out and will be dragged into the later rounds for a UFC-style tko stoppage with Randy on top dropping bombs. I mean, Randy wont be hitting Mark hard enough that he wont immediately protest the stoppage, but the ref's these days seem to love the preemptive stoppage. Randy has a chip on his shoulder after the way Nog smashed him and his showing against Vera, despite the win, and Coleman is going to take the brunt of that frustration. Actually looking forward to this one.

Post #2   1/7/10 1:07:30PM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,503-878
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:
Randy has the overall advantage in this fight but Coleman can make this a very huge test for Randy.

Couture is great at closing the distance and effectivley working his dirty boxing.
From their he likes to get the takedown and secure the win. That seems to be his bread and better inside the cage.
But were Randy is most comfortable is exactly were Coleman is gonna want to be as well. In close range.

If Randy closes the gap and Coleman proves to outpower him,Couture will have to sucsussfuly work off his back. A spot were not to use to seeing The Natural being put.
If Randy Can secure the takedown and work his dirty boxing prior to that, I believe this will be an easy win for him.
But if Coleman can out wrestle Randy and keep him pinned down,well Randy will be in for a long night.

Couture always seems to have a great game plan and he needs a good "plan B" in place for this bout. He needs to work Colemans legs. He has always had a weakness in that area and Randy could potentialy exploit that once again if Colemans raw strength is too much for Randy.

On the reverse, Coleman needs to make sure his cardio is 100% for this bout.
I don't think his standup skills have a good chance of competing with Randy's but Mark may be able to hold his own when he has to.
So long as he's work on his striking as well.

Last edited 1/7/10 1:50PM server time by mrsmiley
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #3   1/7/10 1:49:01PM   

BustedKnuckle

MMA Sensei

BustedKnuckle Avatar

Career:659-381
Chips:
Kind of a weird twist. I dont think anything that Thomplins does will give Coleman a difinitive advantage. Randys striking is yrs ahead of Colemans.

Post #4   1/7/10 5:23:46PM