Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Jamie Varner Isn't Happy With the WEC's Marketing

Print  
Posted By Message

ThaAxeMurderer7

MMA Sensei

ThaAxeMurderer7 Avatar

Career:1,277-814
Chips:
"…That’s one thing I don’t like about the WEC, they put all their marquee dollars into Urijah Faber, so when Urijah lost his world title to Mike Brown, it’s like who is Mike Brown? And then I’m fighting the main event for this fight coming up, and you would have no idea that I’m the main event in Sacramento, cause all we’re doing is pumping up Urijah Faber. And the fight in San Diego, all they’re doing is pumping up Urijah Faber."

Link

Post #1   1/6/10 1:58:23AM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:
And Urijah would stomp him.

Post #2   1/6/10 2:08:03AM   

jiujitsufreak74

,,[],, *******,,[],,

jiujitsufreak74 Avatar

Career:1,056-572
Chips:

Posted by seanfu

And Urijah would stomp him.

different weight class and i don't think Faber would stomp Varner by any means. with that said i wholeheartedly agree with Varner and think that the WEC should focus on hyping up a few more fighters because like he said the one fighter who is portrayed as god status eventually loses and then everyone is left scratching their heads.

Post #3   1/6/10 2:25:22AM   

Jesse_Canadian_MMA

Belt Contender

Jesse_Canadian_MMA Avatar

Career:1,776-1,097
Camp: Canadian Fight Club
Chips:
I just found it funny that Mike Brown just lost the title and now he's barely on the main card, he coulda been in a main event fight but now he's fighting someone who doesnt appear to be very good at all, that's the only thing I find bizarre about this card

Post #4   1/6/10 9:10:36AM   

hate4thestate

In Full Mount

hate4thestate Avatar

Career:1,355-861
Camp: FLBTV All-Stars
Chips:
all you need to do is look at elitexc and see why this business model doesnt work.

Post #5   1/6/10 10:30:40AM   

Jackelope

Go ahead, MOD my day

Jackelope Avatar

Career:864-486
Chips:
If people look past their dislike of him they will see that Varner is 100% correct. The WEC does a poor job of marketing fighters. The only ones they've done well with are Miguel Torres, Urijah Faber, and it could be argued Donald Cerrone. They have several other great marquee style fighters in -

Jose Aldo
Mike Brown
Jamie Varner
Benson Henderson

Along with multiple other fighters who could soon become marquee fighters and/or were marquee fighters.

And yet when you hear WEC you think of Urijah Faber, Miguel Torres, and Jose Aldo. The funniest thing is the guys mentioned above- Jose Aldo, Mike Brown, and Benson Henderson all came out of nowhere and took their titles. That should never happen. A nobody should never take your title.

Post #6   1/6/10 12:21:15PM   

emfleek

FA-Q

emfleek Avatar

Career:2,296-1,214
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:
When you say "WEC" the response ALWAYS has Urijah Faber's name in it. Not even Miguel Torres, in my opinion. It's ALWAYS Urijah Faber. I personally think he's the only fighter they've marketed properly. Sure, Torres headlined a few events, but I don't think he was very well marketed beyond that. The same goes for Brown, Cerrone and everyone else.

WEC is synonymous with Urijah Faber and likewise.

Last edited 1/6/10 12:26PM server time by emfleek
Edit note/reason: n/a

Post #7   1/6/10 12:25:22PM   

seanfu

BANNED

seanfu Avatar

Career:233-122
Chips:
When the guy WAS god status for so long, beating the best the WEC had, they probably figured it was a safe bet.

When Urijah breaks his hand again and has to put on another mediocre show I think the WEC will be done with him. BTW Jose Aldo FTW

Post #8   1/8/10 11:55:21AM   

cowcatcher

Steady MODdin'

cowcatcher Avatar

Career:2,542-1,461
Camp: Project Mayhem
Chips:

Posted by Jackelope

If people look past their dislike of him they will see that Varner is 100% correct. The WEC does a poor job of marketing fighters. The only ones they've done well with are Miguel Torres, Urijah Faber, and it could be argued Donald Cerrone. They have several other great marquee style fighters in -

Jose Aldo
Mike Brown
Jamie Varner
Benson Henderson

Along with multiple other fighters who could soon become marquee fighters and/or were marquee fighters.

And yet when you hear WEC you think of Urijah Faber, Miguel Torres, and Jose Aldo. The funniest thing is the guys mentioned above- Jose Aldo, Mike Brown, and Benson Henderson all came out of nowhere and took their titles. That should never happen. A nobody should never take your title.

youre right jackelope, by the way, nice avatar

Post #9   1/8/10 12:12:25PM