Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST
  MMA Playground 4.0 is live!     Returning members: check out the patch notes     New members: visit our getting started guide, read the FAQ's and start playing!

Gray Maynard Didn't Think B.J. Penn Was a Very Good Coach on TUF

Print  
Posted By Message

ThaAxeMurderer7

MMA Sensei

ThaAxeMurderer7 Avatar

Career:1,277-814
Chips:
Should Maynard prove the experts correct and defeat Diaz, he would likely be the next contender for lightweight champion B.J. Penn. Coincidentally, Penn was Maynard's coach on TUF. However, Maynard was not altogether pleased with the instruction he received.

"As a coach, you have to help the guys keep their goals, and I think he was just 'there'," Maynard said. "He was like 'I just want to go home.' I don't really think we had the best training."

Link

Post #1   1/6/10 1:55:49AM   

Aether

Heavyweight Champ

Aether Avatar

Career:946-505
Chips:
Well, it's like Rampage said in the latest season, these guys are fighters, not coaches. Some may be better or worse at it than others. A mathematician might be able to solve ridiculous problems that only a handful of people can solve, but be unable to teach someone how to do long division.

Teaching and doing are two different things. I don't think BJ has ever really had great coaches of his own, so it's not a surprise that he doesn't know how to coach.

Post #2   1/6/10 4:32:51AM   

mrsmiley

Heavyweight Champ

mrsmiley Avatar

Career:1,446-842
Camp: Nutthuggers Suck
Chips:

Posted by Aether

Well, it's like Rampage said in the latest season, these guys are fighters, not coaches. Some may be better or worse at it than others. A mathematician might be able to solve ridiculous problems that only a handful of people can solve, but be unable to teach someone how to do long division.

Teaching and doing are two different things. I don't think BJ has ever really had great coaches of his own, so it's not a surprise that he doesn't know how to coach.

That's right.

Teaching in itself is an art to master.
Their's formulas to it.

Post #3   1/6/10 6:14:02AM