Pick'em Leagues: THE BIG SHOW CASUAL BEST OF THE REST Single Event PvP: FANTASY POOLS Betting Leagues: THE BIG SHOW BEST OF THE REST

Stout feels he broke Lauzon's spirit to get win

Print  
Posted By Message

ThaAxeMurderer7

MMA Sensei

ThaAxeMurderer7 Avatar

Career:1,277-814
Chips:
What makes a great fighter isn't always the titles on the mantle or the slot they hold down in the Top 10. What sometimes makes a fighter great is the amount of support they are shown by the fans, and that's exactly the greeting Sam Stout got on Saturday night as he put on a fantastic show against Joe Lauzon in the bout that was deemed UFC 108 "Fight of the Night."

Sam Stout may be a smart guy, but he obviously doesn't understand the meaning of the word "boring" as he pushed the pace in all three rounds en route to a unanimous decision. After avoiding a submission in the first round, Stout proceeded to punish Lauzon from head to toe, putting on a stand-up clinic.

Link

Post #1   1/4/10 6:09:18PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Career:472-317
Camp: Journalistas
Chips:
I don't know that Stout broke his spirit. Lauzon was pushing forward until the very end despite the fact that he obviously gassed somewhere in the middle of the second round. I give Stout all the credit in the world. He faught a great fight, and looked very impressive doing it but I think Joe coming off of the knee injury definitely factored in his conditioning.

Stout may have picked him to pieces either way since Joe couldn't score a takedown to save his life, but I really thought Lauzon gassed about halfway through and it was never the same fight. I thought Joe looked good out of the gates. He used all his energy right away and when he didn't get that kimura he missed his opportunity to win.

Post #2   1/4/10 6:43:13PM   

lohmann

A Black Belt in Jiu-Jitsu

lohmann Avatar

Career:1,667-904
Camp: The Ringers
Chips:

Posted by RyanC

I don't know that Stout broke his spirit. Lauzon was pushing forward until the very end despite the fact that he obviously gassed somewhere in the middle of the second round. I give Stout all the credit in the world. He faught a great fight, and looked very impressive doing it but I think Joe coming off of the knee injury definitely factored in his conditioning.

Stout may have picked him to pieces either way since Joe couldn't score a takedown to save his life, but I really thought Lauzon gassed about halfway through and it was never the same fight. I thought Joe looked good out of the gates. He used all his energy right away and when he didn't get that kimura he missed his opportunity to win.

I thought Lauzon gassed midway through the first round. All of his takedowns looked sloppy and he quit trying to set them up early. Joe probably played a little too many video games during his layoff, because all he was was a heavy bag for Sam Stout to showcase his improving striking on. I do not intend to discredit Stout, since I am sure those body shots zapped Lauzon, but he did not look ready Saturday night for his return.

Post #3   1/4/10 7:42:04PM   

RyanC

MMA Sensei

RyanC Avatar

Career:472-317
Camp: Journalistas
Chips:

Posted by lohmann
I thought Lauzon gassed midway through the first round. All of his takedowns looked sloppy and he quit trying to set them up early. Joe probably played a little too many video games during his layoff, because all he was was a heavy bag for Sam Stout to showcase his improving striking on. I do not intend to discredit Stout, since I am sure those body shots zapped Lauzon, but he did not look ready Saturday night for his return.

It probably was in the first that Lauzon gassed. I just remember really noticing it in the 2nd. I think he took a big body punch at some point in the first, and it was downhill from there. I'm giving Stout all the credit because he looked like he was in great shape, and he had an outstanding gameplan, but I don't think he took Lauzon's best shot in this one. Joe needs to get his conditioning up before fighting again.

Post #4   1/4/10 8:03:30PM   

Twenty20Dollars

Heavyweight Champ

Career:1,572-1,001
Chips:
Well kinda after Lauzon was gassing and couldnt get TD's and was just getting punched.

Good fight by stout

Post #5   1/4/10 11:22:08PM